How many of you use the battery mod all most exclusively?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I owned the Z Force initially and it has a great internal battery so I didn't have to rely on the battery mod all that much unless I knew I'd be away from a charger for over a day. So I was able to use the JBL Speaker a good bit. With the Z I've found myself hardly ever taking the battery mod off bc the internal battery runs out so quickly. It's one reason I'm thinking about sending it back for a refund and getting the Nexus 6p in a 64g. I was just curious if you guys also feel like it's needed at all times like I do. The first couple of days my battery mod had not been delivered yet. It seemed like I could barely make through 3/4s of a day with just the internal battery by itself. I was expecting a bit more battery life out of the Z. It makes the other mods almost useless if your away from a charger for a full day. I'm still on the fence about exchanging it bc it is a very good device but I'm amazed at how much of a difference the Z Forces battery was coming compared to the Z.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
With the Force, I used the battery mod a ton. But with the Play, never. The Play's battery life without a mod is probably better than the Force WITH the battery mod. If you are concerned about battery life, I'd recommend checking out the Play. You'll sacrifice almost nothing in terms of performance.

zholbrook526

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I end up using the battery mod most days, or having to plug my Z in for a few minutes to get me through a full day. I'm not a super heavy user, but was surprised at how quickly the battery runs out. I'm hoping Nougat will help with efficiency a little bit once it rolls out

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
With the Force, I used the battery mod a ton. But with the Play, never. The Play's battery life without a mod is probably better than the Force WITH the battery mod. If you are concerned about battery life, I'd recommend checking out the Play. You'll sacrifice almost nothing in terms of performance.

I owned the Z Force initially and it has a great internal battery so I didn't have to rely on the battery mod all that much unless I knew I'd be away from a charger for over a day. So I was able to use the JBL Speaker a good bit. With the Z I've found myself hardly ever taking the battery mod off bc the internal battery runs out so quickly. It's one reason I'm thinking about sending it back for a refund and getting the Nexus 6p in a 64g. I was just curious if you guys also feel like it's needed at all times like I do. The first couple of days my battery mod had not been delivered yet. It seemed like I could barely make through 3/4s of a day with just the internal battery by itself. I was expecting a bit more battery life out of the Z. It makes the other mods almost useless if your away from a charger for a full day. I'm still on the fence about exchanging it bc it is a very good device but I'm amazed at how much of a difference the Z Forces battery was coming compared to the Z.
Completely agree with 1901madison. I have both Z force and the Play. The play is way better on battery life.
I used the play couple days ago and then back to the Force. Hardly notice any difference at all. It's a really great device. Perfect balance between monster battery and specs.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The Play makes it hard to recommend the Z unless you just have to have that thin form factor. At least with the Force you get a better camera and Shattershield. But the Play is a great value.

guapinoy

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Have both the Z and Z play. I use the mod all the time with the Z and can get around 5-7 hours screen on. Now with the Z play I can get 10-12 and not see a difference in performance. I like the Z for Nougat but hopefully the Z Play will get it soon.

The thing that bothers me about the Z is how hot it gets! The Z Play is much cooler.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Interesting responses. What about screen resolution on the Play vs Z? So you guys are seeing real world lag out of the play on performance? Heck maybe I should opt for the Play then. I had thought about it but when I saw the Z at $499, I was thinking I was getting a good deal. In fact I'm not. I paid about what this phone should have been to begin with I think.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Interesting responses. What about screen resolution on the Play vs Z? So you guys are seeing real world lag out of the play on performance? Heck maybe I should opt for the Play then. I had thought about it but when I saw the Z at $499, I was thinking I was getting a good deal. In fact I'm not. I paid about what this phone should have been to begin with I think.

No, absolutely no lag on the Z Play. No discernible difference between the Z Force a Z Play. But the battery on the Play.... Epic.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, but with expandable storage, does it matter?
No it's not a bad as it has the expandable memory so I will be good to go on that side. What I'm up against now is do I get the Z Play or grab the Nexus 6p? What do you guys think or which would you go with given the situation to choose between the two. I sent back a couple of my back shells but I still have one shell left and still have the Tumi Battery mod left that I didn't send back just in case I get the Z Play. So basically I'm torn between the 6p 64g or Z Play. Sounds like from what has been posted so far that the Z Play performance wise is still fast and that the screen resolution isn't bad either? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is the Z Play thicker than the Z Force? I owned it and loved it but I left Verizon so it's out. Is there that much of a difference between the Z or Z Force vs the Z Play. I read one or two post that said the difference was hardly noticeable? Thanks

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Size is the same. Cases for both are the same except play has headphone jack. Don't know much about 6p. Saw an article yesterday there's a bug in the 6p battery. Have to look it up. Don't recall which site showed it.
I only ended up with zplay after wife didn't like it. But I liked it enough to keep it. Got a deal on black Friday and it was free.

I connected it to Wi-Fi today and played some games. Took 30 minutes before battery dropped to 99%.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Size is the same. Cases for both are the same except play has headphone jack. Don't know much about 6p. Saw an article yesterday there's a bug in the 6p battery. Have to look it up. Don't recall which site showed it.
I only ended up with zplay after wife didn't like it. But I liked it enough to keep it. Got a deal on black Friday and it was free.

I connected it to Wi-Fi today and played some games. Took 30 minutes before battery dropped to 99%.
Yeah, I've read in almost every article about the Z Play of how awesome the battery is. That's tempting me to get it. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is that in way, I feel like I would be stepping down a notch from the regular Z. However several have said on here that the Z Play is every bit on par with the Z.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I've read in almost every article about the Z Play of how awesome the battery is. That's tempting me to get it. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is that in way, I feel like I would be stepping down a notch from the regular Z. However several have said on here that the Z Play is every bit on par with the Z.

Wha we do not know yet is if a phone with the Qualcomm 600 level processor will be powerful enough for Google's Daydream VR headset, if something like that is really important to you - the Z Droid and Z Force now do support it with their Nougat update. (Of course I think that the 6p is not recommended for Daydream, either.) That may be one type of app or activity where the Z Play is a step down.

I also wonder about Android updates for the Z Play. It seems it will not be highest on Moto's list for updates. (Of course, if this is pretty important, get a Pixel.)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Wha we do not know yet is if a phone with the Qualcomm 600 level processor will be powerful enough for Google's Daydream VR headset, if something like that is really important to you - the Z Droid and Z Force now do support it with their Nougat update. (Of course I think that the 6p is not recommended for Daydream, either.) That may be one type of app or activity where the Z Play is a step down.

I also wonder about Android updates for the Z Play. It seems it will not be highest on Moto's list for updates. (Of course, if this is pretty important, get a Pixel.)
I'm not too interested in the daydream but I am updates. The pixel is just way over priced. I think I'm going to go with the Z Play. I've read so many good things about it, especially the battery. That means a lot. I had one poster tell me that he sees no real world difference in performance between his Force and Z Play.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not too interested in the daydream but I am updates. The pixel is just way over priced. I think I'm going to go with the Z Play. I've read so many good things about it, especially the battery. That means a lot. I had one poster tell me that he sees no real world difference in performance between his Force and Z Play.

Performance may be the same, but remember that the Play has a lower resolution display, and the camera isn't as good as the Force. If that doesn't matter to you, then go for the Play. :)

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Performance may be the same, but remember that the Play has a lower resolution display, and the camera isn't as good as the Force. If that doesn't matter to you, then go for the Play. :)

I can't tell a difference in the displays. It's almost impossible for the human eye on a 5.5 inch screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463