An app to seamlessly block suspected spam calls & texts?

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Android 7.0 on my Moto Z Force. I'm looking for an app that can seamlessly block spam calls (and SMS),without making me take action. Most of the anti-spam apps seem so intrusive that they take more time to block a call than it would take to simply answer/hang up. Some want to place icons all over my desktop or replace others. I realize that such a system can't be prefect, especially since many spammers use a new "non-existent" number every day. Of course, it would be helpful for such an app to offer a log of blocked calls so that I don't cut off calls permanently from legitimate callers. Thanks.

Redbert31

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm running Android 7.0 on my Moto Z Force. I'm looking for an app that can seamlessly block spam calls (and SMS),without making me take action. Most of the anti-spam apps seem so intrusive that they take more time to block a call than it would take to simply answer/hang up. Some want to place icons all over my desktop or replace others. I realize that such a system can't be prefect, especially since many spammers use a new "non-existent" number every day. Of course, it would be helpful for such an app to offer a log of blocked calls so that I don't cut off calls permanently from legitimate callers. Thanks.
I get so many spam calls a day, that I just don't answer any that I don't recognize. I realize most people don't have this luxury, but they start at 5:30 am and can last till midnight. They come from many countries and all have USA area codes. Some even have the first 3 digits of my own phone#. I do listen to all messages and if you get an answer to your question about a spam blocker that works on the Moto z force, I'd love to try it too!

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
There probably are some good apps for this, but I'm not sure which ones are good. I have always just used a Contact named Spam. I have that Contact set to Send All Calls To Voicemail. Any new caller that is spam related just gets added to that Contact. I am up to around 40 numbers associated with that Contact and none have ever left a voicemail, and I never know they call u less I look at my call history. The Moto Z phone app also has a Block Caller option when you long press a number and that number will be blocked.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I use one called Advanced Call Blocker. I've used numerous ones and they all seem to work the same. Just avoid the ones with ads. It seems Google is always taking away useful abilities in their OS. Call blockers used to be able to send blocked call to Voice Mail, but I haven't found one that does in the last few iterations of Android. Also used to be able to block "Unknown" or "Private" numbers. Again, I haven't found an app that will do that anymore. It seems the apps are just black and white lists now. I'm still on the lookout.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Try TrueCaller I find it
Works real well.. It does not auto block unless you click the block on the caller id show.. It works on SMS apparently too but I don't know if you have to use their SMS app or if works on all

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I tried Truecaller, but the fact that it wants to place four icons on my desktop was too much for me to handle.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: An app to seamlessly block suspected spam calls & texts?

I've been using PrivacyStar with no issues. I haven't recieved any 1-800 numbers in over five months. Here's the companies website, hope you find it as useful as I have.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried True Caller for awhile, but I got tired of the intrusive ads and wanting to install their other apps every time I used my phone. It must be more difficult than I think it should be to just block numbers and send them to voice mail.

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
...Shortcuts on the home screen or apps in the app drawer?

Thanks. It wants to replace my dock icons with the TC icons, but placed then on one of my screens, though my terminology may not be precise. I attached a screenshot. Perhaps my dislike of this feature is unwarranted, but I kind of like my screens as they are.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170426-120023.jpg
    Screenshot_20170426-120023.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 20

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

I've been using PrivacyStar with no issues. I haven't recieved any 1-800 numbers in over five months. Here's the companies website, hope you find it as useful as I have.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, I do receive a number of legit 1-800 calls. Perhaps they can be white-listed. The worst offenders use numbers like 1-215-999-2747.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, I'll give it a try. However, I do receive a number of legit 1-800 calls. Perhaps they can be white-listed. The worst offenders use numbers like 1-215-999-2747.
You can whitelist numbers of your choosing.

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. It wants to replace my dock icons with the TC icons, but placed then on one of my screens, though my terminology may not be precise. I attached a screenshot. Perhaps my dislike of this feature is unwarranted, but I kind of like my screens as they are.

Just delete the icons you don't use. That's what I did. You'll want to keep the main TC icon, but the others I always delete.

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

You can whitelist numbers of your choosing.

Thanks again. Are you using the paid subscription version or free? There also seems to be a lot of negative comments relating to an April 2017 update.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site

Thanks again. Are you using the paid subscription version or free? There also seems to be a lot of negative comments relating to an April 2017 update.
I believe I still use the paid version, which used to be free. I think my account gets the service for free since I've had the app since it's release. I honestly didn't know it was a paid app until now. I also haven't had any issues with it, still no intrusive calls for me. Apologies, If I [ihad[/] known it is now a paid app, I would have included this in the apps description in my original post.

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
So, far, Mr. Number is working great! it's automatically blocked the "new car warranty" and "credit repair" scammers who've called daily.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63