Newbie - Compass feature question

smokey8

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone =)

I'm new here, love the site.

I searched for this before posting, found a post, but I didn't quite get the answer.

So:

Does the Moto Z Play include a compass sensor?

I'd so appreciate a clear answer lol I can't seem to find one. GSM Arena claims it does. The Moto site says it doesn't. And so on.

Side note, I've always been a huge Lenovo fan, I love their tablets... it's early to tell, but imho so far their Moto tenure is looking good. Now for my short rant:

This past year I went out and got the Moto G4 Plus and two Yoga Tab 3s. The tablets are amazing etc and the G4 -although it lacks the G3's ooomph- is a good phone. BUT:

Why did they get rid of the compass sensors?!!

I've recently been blown away by "Star Walk", "Stellarium" etc. The lack of a compass sensor doesn't render them useless, I make do with a cheap plastic compass but still, a compass sensor is about as standard and basic as a "power" button!! What's up with this?

Anyway, sorry, I didn't come here to grumble. I'm eyeing the Moto Z Play but the compass thing is a deal breaker for me.

Opinions? OK, thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

:cool:

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Seems this app works fine.
891238666703c31967ca22263eeededb.jpg

smokey8

May 18, 2017
Visit site
Hey,

Well, that's settled then. Thanks so much kbz, you probably saved my sanity, my provider offered a Samsung Edgey contraption as an alternative to the Moto Z Play and I was actually considering it. I never had a good experience with that heinous touchwiz thing. Thanks ;)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey,

Well, that's settled then. Thanks so much kbz, you probably saved my sanity, my provider offered a Samsung Edgey contraption as an alternative to the Moto Z Play and I was actually considering it. I never had a good experience with that heinous touchwiz thing. Thanks ;)
Grab the Moto Z play while it's on sale for $399 if you are not on contract. I just bought one and I love it. It's a killer device and like the poster said you can always download a compass. No problem. I've enjoyed my Z Play and it's one of the best devices for the money.

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Interesting.. I had a Samsung Edge that I shelved for the Moto Z Play.. The Play lasts a LOT longer on the same size battery.. Samsung screwed up Android on their phones..

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Interesting.. I had a Samsung Edge that I shelved for the Moto Z Play.. The Play lasts a LOT longer on the same size battery.. Samsung screwed up Android on their phones..

I was about to buy a S7 Edge today ($465 new) but lucked out and got a 7 month old Z Play with faux wood shell and battery mod for $195 shipped. I just couldn't pass it up and it's the phone I was initially interested in anyway. I love the Moto Display on my Moto X2 so I'm glad I'll still have that.