Google Play Store Version 7.8.16

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone received the new version rolling out now on their Moto Z Force? Got it a couple of days ago on an original Turbo but still hasn't appeared on my Z.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Odd that they spool it out in waves almost like an OS update. I understand it contains some differences in notifications as well as the spiffy new icon - just wondering about them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Odd that they spool it out in waves almost like an OS update. I understand it contains some differences in notifications as well as the spiffy new icon - just wondering about them.

They give app developers a way to stage rollouts. I don't find it odd at all that Google apps and services also do staged rollouts.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
They give app developers a way to stage rollouts. I don't find it odd at all that Google apps and services also do staged rollouts.
Perhaps my memory is slipping. I've never noted any app - Google's or otherwise - being released in stages. I've no doubt you're correct, just that the actual Play Store's are the only one that's caught my attention. Having said that, my attention span is measurably diminished from my younger days.
🤣

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps my memory is slipping. I've never noted any app - Google's or otherwise - being released in stages. I've no doubt you're correct, just that the actual Play Store's are the only one that's caught my attention. Having said that, my attention span is measurably diminished from my younger days.

See https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/6346149?hl=en for the technology that allows this.

I know that Google has done this before with their own apps - not just Play Services, but I believe that the Gmail app may have been staged in the past. This definitely is a good thing for an app with millions of users to prevent a huge bug from creating issues because of a bug for a large percentage of an app's users at once.

Ok, I finally found an example of this from a year and a half ago: Google explains why some users are seeing the Phone and Contacts apps in the Play Store | Greenbot

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I received it on my Z Force 2 days ago. Initially I couldn't update any apps using the Play Store app after the update. I would tap Update and absolutely nothing would happen. I cleared the Play Store app cache, phone storage cache, phone system cache, rebooted numerous times and absolutely could not update any apps with this new Play Store / Play Services update. I hardly ever connect to WiFi, but connected to my home WiFi and was able to update an app. Clear the system cache again and rebooted again​, and all has been good since. Apps are now updating on Cell / LTE 4G.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anybody still not get the new play store yet besides me, lol?
Google has pushed out an extraordinary number of Play Store versions updates since my original post suggesting that some significant changes may be forthcoming. I was updated 2 days ago to 7.8.41P and that is not the latest. On the day I got it, I checked for a new version & it popped up - appeared after a reboot.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried forcing the update clicking on 'Play Store version' in the app settings?
View attachment 261323
Yep, says I'm up to date. :-(

7f69b01bf6ce4086314052f3361774c5.jpg

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried the store and Google play services. Cleared cache and data, rebooted. Still no new play store. Guess I can download the apk from some sites but I hate doing that.

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps, just of that my wife got it on her play a couple weeks ago and I'm apparently a few versions behind on my Force already too. Eh, what are ya gonna do?! , lol

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My son was updated to 7.8.16 on the original Turbo over 2 weeks before my Z Force. When it finally hit mine it was up to 7.8.41P and, at that time, several newer versions were already out. As I said above, probably some significant changes in the works & Google may be testing the waters across platforms. Good bit of information can be found "Googling".

Bitterman

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
My son was updated to 7.8.16 on the original Turbo over 2 weeks before my Z Force. When it finally hit mine it was up to 7.8.41P and, at that time, several newer versions were already out. As I said above, probably some significant changes in the works & Google may be testing the waters across platforms. Good bit of information can be found "Googling".
I got tired of waiting so I manually updated yesterday. Everything seems ok so far.
f27353d228551d15729e99a3c92dda61.jpg