No 3.5mm headphone jack - deal breaker or not?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There's no 3.5mm headphone jack like the z force droid, will this be a deal breaker for you? Personally, I haven't used 3.5mm headphones in years so it doesn't bother me, but i can see it as a downer for those that do. There is an usb c to headphone jack in the box but that seems very easy to lose, IMO.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Deal breaker for me. I have a Motorola g4 plus and have been tracking the z2 force eagerly for some time. I can't believe they reduced the battery and took off the headphone jack.

I use Bluetooth headphones during my work commute, but sometimes its not practical to fire up the headset (like if I want to listen to something at work, I want the option to plug in my earbuds without some stupid adapter).

This phone is a hard pass for me. I will probably just try to catch the g5 plus next time it goes on sale.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
There's no 3.5mm headphone jack like the z force droid, will this be a deal breaker for you? Personally, I haven't used 3.5mm headphones in years so it doesn't bother me, but i can see it as a downer for those that do. There is an usb c to headphone jack in the box but that seems very easy to lose, IMO.
Yes.... Deal breaker.

Last edited:

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
didn't phase me on the first one, I just put the adapter on my headphones and left it there, never even noticed it

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If it comes with the adapter, not a deal breaker. But it's an unnecessary hassle to need an adapter. Just another detraction from this phone.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Bluetooth headphones, in my experience, are way behind wired microphones. They're fine for conversations but not music. Maybe if you favor gargantuan base that might make a difference. I don't know.

Deal breaker!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Bluetooth headphones, in my experience, are way behind wired microphones. They're fine for conversations but not music. Maybe if you favor gargantuan base that might make a difference. I don't know.

Deal breaker!

I've got a set of bluetooth headphones. Great for listening to music or podcasts while doing other activities. Yes, wired headphones have better sound quality, but if you are listening to music on your phone and expecting hi-fidelity you're doing it wrong. If I'm going to seriously listen to music it's a home system with real speakers, not a headset plugged into a phone.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I've got a set of bluetooth headphones. Great for listening to music or podcasts while doing other activities. Yes, wired headphones have better sound quality, but if you are listening to music on your phone and expecting hi-fidelity you're doing it wrong. If I'm going to seriously listen to music it's a home system with real speakers, not a headset plugged into a phone.

Respectfully, I disagree. A good set of wired headphones can, in my experience, produce outstanding sound from a premium phone.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
You can get some good extra adapters off Amazon for pretty cheap. It's a little inconvenient, but I haven't found it to be a problem with my Z Force 1. I bought a few extra adapters & have them where I'm most likely to use them. I got some nice over ear headphones a little while back, and they came with a headphone amp. I need the amp with my laptop, but my phone w/adapter pushes hard enough that I don't hear a difference with vs without the amp. So if the Zf2 is the same, at least it's good quality / strong audio.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Respectfully, I disagree. A good set of wired headphones can, in my experience, produce outstanding sound from a premium phone.

Yes, a phone with headphones can trick your brain into thinking it is hearing good music. Listening to music is about the movement of air, specifically sound waves that move the eardrum and resonate with the body. You aren't moving a lot of air with headphones. Couple that handicap with a compressed .mp3 music file that people typically listen to on their phones and you've got compromised sound quality.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes, a phone with headphones can trick your brain into thinking it is hearing good music. Listening to music is about the movement of air, specifically sound waves that move the eardrum and resonate with the body. You aren't moving a lot of air with headphones. Couple that handicap with a compressed .mp3 music file that people typically listen to on their phones and you've got compromised sound quality.
Good headphones are not handicaped....far from it and not all mp3 files are high compression. Personally I prefer FLAC files but the right headphones can make a good MP3 pure ecstasy.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Headphones are inherently deficient because they do not move the volume of air that musical instruments at a live performance will move or a good set of speakers will move. It's simply impossible to get the dynamic range with headphones or that feeling of being affected by bass notes.

Also I have never heard the words 'mp3' and 'pure ecstasy' in the same sentence. I'm glad you can enjoy it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have never heard the words 'mp3' and 'pure ecstasy' in the same sentence. I'm glad you can enjoy it.
Well then you probably haven't listened to a good MP3 from a phone equipped with a Quad DAC and high resolution studio headphones. Granted that FLAC or lossless files sound better but decent MP3 is not as bad as some people make it out to be. In any event you don't have to agree and I won't try to convince you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2