Considered playing the field but am sticking with the Z Force

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm a Z force owner. Like a lot of you I'm sure, I've been watching the fall phone releases pretty closely.

It's tempting to change, especially since I moved a couple of years ago to buying phones outright and reselling them to make it easier to change when I wanted to.

I want a large screen, battery life, top performing camera, and fast/not laggy software - and don't want to pay top dollar. I also use Verizon.. potentially willing to swtich but still prefer phones that work on all four US carriers for resale value.

This year is unlike other years - no phone is the clear cut best for me.

All the new phones have things that are awesome, but all have at least one major flaw as well. With prices rising as they have, none of them seem worth it.

1. Pixel 2 XL - mediocre screen, high price, already more reports of bluetooth reliability being poor (but awesome everything else)
2. LG VX30 - screen, laggy software (quad DAC, great camera)
3. Note 8 - $#%^ expensive, laggy software (but awesome camera)
4. Razer phone - unproven camera, no CDMA (but big battery.. and camera could be ok)
5. Mate 10 Pro - crappy software (but the HW looks awesome)
6. HTC U11+ - looks near perfect, but not sold in US (why didn't Google go with this phone for the 2 XL?)
7. OnePlus 5T - could be great, but the camera needs to be better, still no CDMA
8. Essential PH-1 - terrible camera (but awesome HW, fast stock SW, and a currently good value price)
9. iPhone 8 Plus - expensive, like being able to customize the experience on Android, camera not the best anymore

So, with all that said, I decided to just stick with the Z Force. the moto power pack for just $38 to make sure the phone lasts a day (I'm a heavy user so battery life had already degraded). Reformatted to improve performance and stability.. and with just those changes I'm reminded of how much I like this phone. Moto does a great job with software and radios, which are often undervalued. The ability to add battery capacity and other features via mods is very well done.

This really is a great phone.. low-light photography and lack of headphone jack are my only real complaints. Here's to another year.. or at least another few months :)

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, there is also the iPhone 7 Plus; it's true that it's not new, but it's not as expensive as the 8 Plus and still has a great wide angle camera and true "telephoto" camera (and a better camera than the Z Plus), and will definitely keep its resale value better than the Z Force will. In fact, if resale value is part of the measure, this is the best time going forward to sell the Z Force. The 7 Plus would be a great bridge phone for a year based on your criteria. (Get the Verizon model or the SIM free model for the ability to sell on any US carrier for resale.)

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The Z Force in general is not a great choice for resale value.. had to give that up when I bought it, so I'm ok not worrying about that for now.. just like to pick something that works with that going forward. You are of course right that now is better than later though. I'm just not sure I can switch to iOS.. like the way I can tweak Android to work the way I want too much.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I want a large screen, battery life, top performing camera, and fast/not laggy software - and don't want to pay top dollar. I also use Verizon.. potentially willing to swtich but still prefer phones that work on all four US carriers for resale value.

Exactly my criteria as well. It's gotta be the Pixel 2 XL. Just wait until it's on sale.

The "mediocre screen" is an inflated detraction, on the Pixel 2 XL, IMO. Google has already addressed the so-called flat colors and also the potential burn-in problem with software updates. Plus, they added a year onto the warranty so it has a two year warranty. I've seen several in the stores and, yes, there is a detectable blue tint when angling the phone but it's not terrible. Also, I would not characterize the Moto screen as being anything special.

Great battery, top performing camera, snappy performance--that's Pixel 2 XL

Another candidate would be the Galaxy S8 Active, but it's not yet on Verizon (but probably will be.) Got to watch for the dreaded Samsung lag though.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree the Pixel 2 XL's screen is fine, and that the Z Force's is nothing special.

I'm more worried about radio quality with the Pixel 2 XL. I had to get rid of a Nexus 6P which was otherwise a great phone because wifi and Bluetooth would not stay connected consistently. This was supposedly a pretty common problem with the OG Pixels, and, while early, it appears the Pixel is having some of the same issues. Too early to decide, so I'll keep an eye on how much chatter there is about that type of issue. The Z Force has never given me any issues with the radios.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree the Pixel 2 XL's screen is fine, and that the Z Force's is nothing special.

I'm more worried about radio quality with the Pixel 2 XL. I had to get rid of a Nexus 6P which was otherwise a great phone because wifi and Bluetooth would not stay connected consistently. This was supposedly a pretty common problem with the OG Pixels, and, while early, it appears the Pixel is having some of the same issues. Too early to decide, so I'll keep an eye on how much chatter there is about that type of issue. The Z Force has never given me any issues with the radios.

Yes, radios are one of Motorola's strong suits.

Reading the Pixel 2 forums there are some bluetooth problem threads but most are of the nature of "my Pixel 2 XL works great with "X" device doesn't pair with my "Y" device. Or people are having problems with pairing to a particular vehicle. Also, people that have owned both OG Pixel and Pixel 2's say the Pixel 2's bluetooth works better.

AustinAggie

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
That's quite helpful, thanks! I do have my eye on a Pixel 2 XL as the likely best fit for me.. will see if the price drops down the road and the radios perform well. The HTC U11+ would be great as well if it makes it to the US.

Also, I forgot to put the Essential Phone in my first list. Great HW, stock SW, good value at current pricing, but apparently a terrible camera.

This is just such an odd year for Android flagships - so many options that look great but have a fatal flaw. It's frustrating to see such great phones in some dimensions that fail in others...