Support for texting with uConnect 8.4

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a Droid Moto Z Force with a uConnect 8.4 in a 2018 Jeep. I subscribe to uConnect Access. I can receive SMS messages and reply with free-form text orally. However, while I also can send a new message, I only can send the pre-defined messages, and not send free-form text by voice. According to uConnect, this is not unusual, as certain phones support SMS, but not sending new messages with free-form text. Is this just the way it is with my phone, or is there some setting that I'm missing. Thanks.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My wife has a Moto Z Play hooked to her 2017 U Connect Jeep Cherokee. I'll have to investigate and see how it works our, but I'm pretty sure she can send a new text message using hands free commands.

Do you have Moto Voice enabled and a custom launch phrase setup in the Moto App?

Jimmy_W

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you have Moto Voice enabled and a custom launch phrase setup in the Moto App?

Thanks. Yes, I have a custom launch phrase set in Moto. I take it that the Moto Z Force is MAP-capable, too. When I want to send a new SMS (not a reply), I must select on of the canned messages, which are really meant for replies. I can, however, send a free-form reply.