Battery Health on your Moto Z Force Droid

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just started using this app but looks like the Power Pack Moto Mods (prior to having the on/off switch) and overnight charging have wrecked my battery in roughly 22 months of use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery

Not much data, just recently started using this app and have been switching between this Moto Z Force Droid and a Moto Z2 Play.

dRIw2ez.png

mvp2FKQ.png

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
My first Z Force I had for 19 months, never charged it overnight, didn't leave a mod battery on it and used the accubattery app (charging to 70-80%) and it only degraded to 94%. My factory rehab came at 95% and has stayed there after a few months.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My first Z Force I had for 19 months, never charged it overnight, didn't leave a mod battery on it and used the accubattery app (charging to 70-80%) and it only degraded to 94%. My factory rehab came at 95% and has stayed there after a few months.

Nice!

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just started using this app but looks like the Power Pack Moto Mods (prior to having the on/off switch) and overnight charging have wrecked my battery in roughly 22 months of use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.digibites.accubattery

Not much data, just recently started using this app and have been switching between this Moto Z Force Droid and a Moto Z2 Play.

https://i.imgur.com/dRIw2ez.png

https://i.imgur.com/mvp2FKQ.png
Oh S#!|, I was not aware overnight charging was bad...I thought when the device hits 100%, it prevents overcharging?! I almost always have the MOTO on charge overnight...no wonder the battery only lasts 12-14 hrs (at best) as opposed to a full day+ when I first got it!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh S#!|, I was not aware overnight charging was bad...I thought when the device hits 100%, it prevents overcharging?! I almost always have the MOTO on charge overnight...no wonder the battery only lasts 12-14 hrs (at best) as opposed to a full day+ when I first got it!

If I understand it correctly, it's more of the case where it's at 100% then trickles down below some threshold then recharges again to 100%.

The more I read, the more I see charging when above 80% is not healthy.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
If I understand it correctly, it's more of the case where it's at 100% then trickles down below some threshold then recharges again to 100%.

Oh, well hopefully it's just the "trickle/recharge" case, which I "never" do...if it's at 90-100% at bedtime (because I've charged late in the day, then I'll leave it off charge until the next day.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

I forgot to ask one more thing...well maybe 2.

1. I use my Moto Z for "everything"!...including navigation, even though I have Navi in my car, because online navigation provides traffic routing. Anyway, when doing this, since GPS is a big drain, I usually keep the phone on car charge. Does this also more negatively affect the battery?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to ask one more thing...well maybe 2.

1. I use my Moto Z for "everything"!...including navigation, even though I have Navi in my car, because online navigation provides traffic routing. Anyway, when doing this, since GPS is a big drain, I usually keep the phone on car charge. Does this also more negatively affect the battery?

Based on the 40% to 80% rule, yes - if you're plugged in when over 80%.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had read that the battery was at peak "performance" in this range, so I figured it was best to wait until under 40 before charging

Any thoughts yet on the upgrade as a whole? Problems? Like I said, I use my Moto for so much, and despite the battery drain, the performance of every appi use and need is good...want to.make sure I hear some feedback before pulling the trigger on the update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I had read that the battery was at peak "performance" in this range, so I figured it was best to wait until under 40 before charging

Any thoughts yet on the upgrade as a whole? Problems? Like I said, I use my Moto for so much, and despite the battery drain, the performance of every appi use and need is good...want to.make sure I hear some feedback before pulling the trigger on the update

My device isn't updated.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So, if I'm on a 4 hour drive, am I supposed to unplug from the car charge periodically along the way? I've been lazy and kept it on the charger the whole time.

HowardL168

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Kinda yeah.
Ok, thanks. I have to say, though...and this is just my "logic"...but given how using GPS/Map-routing drains the battery (and thus, I'll be charging up and utilizing another cycle or 2) it seems to me that might not be much different from keeping the device plugged in at 100%.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois