Is the battery size too small?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I realize that battery size isn't the only aspect affecting battery life but i just feel that 2730mah is a bit small... I don't think that the battery life will match the moto z force.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That's also a concern for me... I don't want to have less battery life than my current phone (Samsung S7).

Mason Sell

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I definitely wish they didn't decrease the battery size, but real life tests will determine the effects of the diminutive battery... Though I don't have high expectations and a battery mod will likely be essentially required. Which would be why they included the projector mod and not a battery mod for the promotion.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
As a former Verizon rep I can tell you the 2 main reasons people bought a Motorola phone instead of Samsung. One was durability, they had actual Kevlar on them and took a beating. The other was battery life, people loved the large batteries.

I think this will hurt their sales.

shadowsjc

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes. This was a short sighted way to promote their stupid mods. They are probably banking on people purchasing the battery mod in order to get the same battery life that the last gen phone already had. Incredibly stupid. I hope other people vote with their wallets and skip this crappy release

I am on the fence about what to buy instead. Leaning towards a g5 plus as a stopgap till next year, but I really don't want to give Moto any more of my money.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems like we may have seen the last Droid as well. I'm not sure if the licensing agreement ran out or not between Lucas and Verizon. Motorola and Droid were a great combination but I think it's time for something new.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
it seems like everyone is in agreement. battery is way too small. consumers who are battery aware want bigger batteries.

David Martrano

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
This is Lenovo's premium flagship and you downgrade the battery to 2730mamp. Why, that was the # 2 best selling feature outside of the shattershield. Does this make any kind of sense? For me, I definitely think this will effect sales without question!

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I think Motorola backed themselves into somewhat of a corner when they released the original thicker Z Force and Z Play. Both great phones, but for most people too thick to use with Moto mods on any regular basis. And the whole idea behind the Z lineup was modularity.

The one original Z phone that really worked well with this concept was the Moto Z / Z Droid. But after they decided they'd have to thin down the Z Force and Z Play to get customers interested in purchasing more Moto mods, there was no longer the need for the Moto Z / Z Droid in this year's lineup.

That's my take on what's currently going on. I'm sure they would not have lowered the battery sizes on either of the new phones if they could have made them thinner without doing so. It was all about the mods, which is really the point of the phone to start with.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
in order to mass market the phone they compromised and made it thinner, effectively making a Moto Z with shatter shield.

I have the z as a work phone and z Force as my phone. I like using the z for longer periods because of the lightness.

hands in with the Z2 Force, it's crazy light. yeah battery might not be as good but with a turbo charger and a mod, it doesn't have to last the whole day. just long enough to get home and I'll top it up when I'm making dinner. no big deal

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
in order to mass market the phone they compromised and made it thinner, effectively making a Moto Z with shatter shield.

I have the z as a work phone and z Force as my phone. I like using the z for longer periods because of the lightness.

hands in with the Z2 Force, it's crazy light. yeah battery might not be as good but with a turbo charger and a mod, it doesn't have to last the whole day. just long enough to get home and I'll top it up when I'm making dinner. no big deal

Exactly. But to be honest I am getting better life with this than with my S8 plus. Not sure why, other than less garbage software on top.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Battery mods are great and all, but I haven't had a phone with less than 3000mah since my S3 in 2012. Smaller battery equals more charge cycles over the same period of time, which means replacing the phone sooner.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the fact that capacity is generally lost over time (although I'm somewhat of a believer of keeping a phone between 40 and 80%) so a smaller sized battery over time can be a concern.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
That's the one caveat as to why I'm not purchasing it to replace my S7 Edge. Battery life. Even with the mods, the current mAh is unacceptable.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problem with battery life thus far, even without a mod. Moto must have done a great job with software optimizations.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon