Shattershield display, more harm than good?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yikes....Interesting read: The Moto Z2 Force's 'unbreakable' screen may be a deal breaker

I'm afraid this screen will be a deal breaker for many people. While it doesn't crack, there are plenty of other issues with it.

The key to Motorola's unbreakable displays is that they are composed of plastic instead of glass. This was the case last year with the original Z Force, but the new phone doesn't seem to use the same materials in the screen. I've only had this phone for about a week, but there are already several visible scratches on the display. David has also picked up some deep gouges in his screen.

Now, you would expect a few scratches on a screen made of plastic—it's more resistant to impact but much softer than glass. However, the plastic Moto used this year is obviously softer than what it employed in 2016. My Moto Z Force review unit has been clunking around in a drawer with other phones for most of the last year, and it's barely scratched at all. That's in addition to being actively used for a few weeks last year. After less than a week, the Z2 Force is already more scratched. The scratches aren't always visible when the screen is on, but when the light hits at the right angle, you'll see them.

I'm not even sure how most of these scratches happened. The phone has been in my pocket or on my desk the whole time. Well, I guess I do know how one of them happened. You see, when I first noticed the scratches, I did what I would do with any phone—I ran my fingernail across the area to see if it felt like a scratch or just some gunk that would come off. I confirmed they were, in fact, scratches, but also accidentally added a new scratch with my fingernail. This should not happen ever, but especially not on a phone that costs $800.

Since I have the previous Z Force handy, I was able to compare the screens directly. On the Z2 Force, a fingernail is enough to scratch the display. This is not true of last year's Z Force. I can't think of any reason Motorola would downgrade the materials, but that's what it did.

From what we understand, Motorola changed the design of the ShatterShield screen this year to make it thinner. Part of that process included bonding the plastic cover to the display. Thus, you can't remove it like you could on the Z Force. So, if it gets massively scratched up, you would need to replace the entire AMOLED panel instead of just a plastic sheet.

The adhesive holding the plastic layer in place seems insufficient, too. Of the two units we've tested, both make a "crinkling" noise when you press in certain places. The plastic appears to be popping up slightly after being pressed down, like the adhesive isn't strong enough to hold it. The sound is very noticeable around the fingerprint sensor and at the top near the earpiece.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
That is disappointing it is worse this year and not acceptable. However, I think people have been saying since the first Shattershield screen with the Droid Turbo 2 that a screen protector is mandatory. We can argue it's silly to put a screen protector on top of basically another screen protector but there it is. Plus the more recent iterations of GG have been more shatter resistant but less scratch resistant so if you don't want scratches on a screen put a protector on it.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Yikes....Interesting read: The Moto Z2 Force's 'unbreakable' screen may be a deal breaker

I'm afraid this screen will be a deal breaker for many people. While it doesn't crack, there are plenty of other issues with it.

The key to Motorola's unbreakable displays is that they are composed of plastic instead of glass. This was the case last year with the original Z Force, but the new phone doesn't seem to use the same materials in the screen. I've only had this phone for about a week, but there are already several visible scratches on the display. David has also picked up some deep gouges in his screen.

Now, you would expect a few scratches on a screen made of plastic—it's more resistant to impact but much softer than glass. However, the plastic Moto used this year is obviously softer than what it employed in 2016. My Moto Z Force review unit has been clunking around in a drawer with other phones for most of the last year, and it's barely scratched at all. That's in addition to being actively used for a few weeks last year. After less than a week, the Z2 Force is already more scratched. The scratches aren't always visible when the screen is on, but when the light hits at the right angle, you'll see them.

I'm not even sure how most of these scratches happened. The phone has been in my pocket or on my desk the whole time. Well, I guess I do know how one of them happened. You see, when I first noticed the scratches, I did what I would do with any phone—I ran my fingernail across the area to see if it felt like a scratch or just some gunk that would come off. I confirmed they were, in fact, scratches, but also accidentally added a new scratch with my fingernail. This should not happen ever, but especially not on a phone that costs $800.

Since I have the previous Z Force handy, I was able to compare the screens directly. On the Z2 Force, a fingernail is enough to scratch the display. This is not true of last year's Z Force. I can't think of any reason Motorola would downgrade the materials, but that's what it did.

From what we understand, Motorola changed the design of the ShatterShield screen this year to make it thinner. Part of that process included bonding the plastic cover to the display. Thus, you can't remove it like you could on the Z Force. So, if it gets massively scratched up, you would need to replace the entire AMOLED panel instead of just a plastic sheet.

The adhesive holding the plastic layer in place seems insufficient, too. Of the two units we've tested, both make a "crinkling" noise when you press in certain places. The plastic appears to be popping up slightly after being pressed down, like the adhesive isn't strong enough to hold it. The sound is very noticeable around the fingerprint sensor and at the top near the earpiece.

Yikes! I was very interested I this phone when I was looking to upgrade. I ended up going with a different manufacturer but this makes me sad. An 800 phone shouldn't have a screen that's as easy to scratch as it seems to be.

That said, with this knowledge, I would probably still add a tempered glass screen guard and be happy with it as long as my unit doesn't crackle.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

All of what you are saying, the small battery and high price add up to a disaster.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
What does a plastic screen feel like compared to glass. I have zero experience.
The same, no noticeable difference. O have been using Shattershield for over a year & half on two different phones and can't tell the difference between it and a Gorilla Glass screen.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Shattershield being easy to scratch is not new. The manufacturer (Moto) recommends always using a screen protector for this very reason. To me it's simple....you want scratch resistant / proof screen, get a Gorilla Glass screen. You want shatter proof (but not scratch resistant) screen, get a Shattershield. Life is all about choices and it's good that we have both versions of screens available for those that prefer either type.

The Moto Z2 Force is definitely on my "want list" for 2017, easily scratched screen or not.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Shattershield being easy to scratch is not new. The manufacturer (Moto) recommends always using a screen protector for this very reason. To me it's simple....you want scratch resistant / proof screen, get a Gorilla Glass screen. You want shatter proof (but not scratch resistant) screen, get a Shattershield. Life is all about choices and it's good that we have both versions of screens available for those that prefer either type.

The Moto Z2 Force is definitely on my "want list" for 2017, easily scratched screen or not.

Except it seems the Z2 force scratches easier than previous shatter shield devices which is not good.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Except it seems the Z2 force scratches easier than previous shatter shield devices which is not good.
"Seems like" being the key phrase. Maybe the author of the article just wasn't familiar with Shattershield? I'm not sure, but an inexpensive glass screen protector will keep the screen from scratching easily and you still have the benefit of Shattershield, so still a win in my book.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it'll be the main reason I don't buy this phone. Bummer, because I was looking forward to it after my Moto Z

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
The plastic shattershield screen.
Oh...OK. This is just my 2 cents, but if you want Shattershield you have to deal with the 5 layer design and understand that the outer layer (the lens) is a soft plastic layer that will scratch if unprotected. A decent screen protector keeps the lens from scratching and you have a shatter proof screen that you don't have to worry about dropping and breaking. Or...stick with traditional Gorilla Glass, which is very scratch resistant but prone to shattering and cracking since it is a hardened glass.

It's awesome to have choices. After having Shattershield for over 2 years now I will never buy a phone with Gorilla Glass as long as Moto continues to make Shattershield.

Last edited:

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh...OK. This is just my 2 cents, but if you want Shattershield you have to deal with the 5 layer design and understand that the outer layer (the lens) is a soft plastic later that will scratch if unprotected. A decent screen protector keeps the lens from scratching and you have a shatter proof screen that you don't have to worry about dropping and breaking. Or...stick with traditional Gorilla Glass, which is very scratch resistant but prone to shattering and cracking since it is a hardened glass.

It's awesome to have choices. After having Shattershield for over 2 years now I will never buy a phone with Gorilla Glass as long as Moto continues to make Shattershield.

I agree that it's a great option if you want it, but I just prefer the gorilla glass. Much easier to not need a screen protector and feels better to use.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I have not noticed any difference when using my Shattershield screens compared to the Gorilla Glass screen on my work cell phone. They seem about the same on the fingers. It's not like the outer layer is mushy soft. 😀

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

And it may also be more difficult to shatter or damage in a fall, we really don't know the full story. The turbo 2, which was the first to use this screen tech had a user replaceable screen protector on it when sold.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
And it may also be more difficult to shatter or damage in a fall, we really don't know the full story. The turbo 2, which was the first to use this screen tech had a user replaceable screen protector on it when sold.
The Z Force and Z2 Force still have a user replaceable outer lens...like the Turbo 2. It's still a 5 layer design screen, and the outer layer (lens) is still replaceble.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
The Z Force and Z2 Force still have a user replaceable outer lens...like the Turbo 2. It's still a 5 layer design screen, and the outer layer (lens) is still replaceble.

Do you have a source? Most i have seen say the outer layer on the Z2 force is not user replaceable, but it is replaceable by Motorola or carrier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv