Get a screen protector

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
These Moto phones with Shattershield are notoriously easy to scratch. It is one of the main reasons I prefer glass rather than plastic as a screen.

So what happens if that shattershield were to be peeled off and used with the glass under it? Is it a gorilla glass?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So what happens if that shattershield were to be peeled off and used with the glass under it? Is it a gorilla glass?
No. Basically instead of Gorilla Glass, moto used shatter shield which is a plastic based screen. It trades scratchability for being shatterproof because it's plastic. I guess Moto figured most people will be putting screen protectors on anyway, lets make it shatterproof instead of scratch resist.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No. Basically instead of Gorilla Glass, moto used shatter shield which is a plastic based screen. It trades scratchability for being shatterproof because it's plastic. I guess Moto figured most people will be putting screen protectors on anyway, lets make it shatterproof instead of scratch resist.

I actually wouldn't mind this at all. That's a great and innovative move from Moto. I'd take that screen and then slap a tempered glass screen protector on it. 😃

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually wouldn't mind this at all. That's a great and innovative move from Moto. I'd take that screen and then slap a tempered glass screen protector on it.
The problem I'm finding is that plastic isn't as smooth as glass so putting a tempered glass protector into the screen results in areas it doesn't completely come in contact with so you run into bubbles or it not fully adhering. Plastic protectors work better on this screen because they are malleable unlike glass.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem I'm finding is that plastic isn't as smooth as glass so putting a tempered glass protector into the screen results in areas it doesn't completely come in contact with so you run into bubbles or it not fully adhering. Plastic protectors work better on this screen because they are malleable unlike glass.

You do have a point - it's hard to get a tempered glass screen protector to "behave" like its plastic counterparts.

SmartAssBill

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Gadget Guard Black Ice Edition Tempered Glass is what i went with. it is good so far but hate the lip that adds to the edges of the screen.

dashauns

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I really like the supershieldz from amazon, i read reviews that they may crack easily which i have kids so they all seem to crack easy lol, but i contacted them and told them they cracked and a few days later a new 2 pack was at my door

SmartAssBill

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Gadget Guard Black Ice Edition Tempered Glass is what i went with. it is good so far but hate the lip that adds to the edges of the screen.

so stupid screen protector broke already. i got a couple of chips along the edge and started picking it and the protector cracked. i hate the lip the glass protector gives phones. anyone have any luck with thinner plastic protector??