Moto voice

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I just recently set up the Moto voice option, then tried it out ..,. Nothing phone doesn't do anything. Am I supposed to hit s certain button?

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
RRHMJ23, what voice commands are you giving it, exactly? The new Moto Voice on Z2 Force only responds to "Show Me" commands, e.g. "Show me the calendar", my day, my appointments, my next meeting, <app name>, etc.

For hands-free voice to make calls, send texts, ask Google questions, etc., you now need to set up Google Assistant voice control, then you can say "OK Google..." to perform all the usual Google Assistant functions.

For Moto Voice and OK Google to wake and unlock your phone, Trusted Voice must be enabled in Settings->Security->Smart Lock.

And, Smart Lock (Google) and Smart Lock (Moto Voice) must be enabled in Settings->Security->Trust agents.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow so it's true they got rid of the core features of Moto voice. That's the only reason I bought a Moto phone. My MXPE still has the full featured Moto voice, but when I'm done with it, it looks like pixels will be in my future from now on.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
J Dubbs, no hands free voice capabilities have gone away, they've only been expanded with the combination of Show Me and Google Assistant. Together they do everything Moto Voice used to, and more, even faster.

I don't understand the complaints here about voice control, honestly. It's only better now. I suspect this has been confused by users who haven't yet discovered Google Assistant.

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Moto voice. Half the time it doesn't respond to me. Same goes for Google. Is there a way to turn up the response or mic however it picks up my voice

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
RRHMJ23, what commands are you giving it? Have you retrained both Moto Voice and Google Assistant? They need to be done separately. For me, Show Me works very fast opening apps, much faster than scrolling in the app drawer.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
J Dubbs, no hands free voice capabilities have gone away, they've only been expanded with the combination of Show Me and Google Assistant. Together they do everything Moto Voice used to, and more, even faster.

I don't understand the complaints here about voice control, honestly. It's only better now. I suspect this has been confused by users who haven't yet discovered Google Assistant.

What I was talking about was Moto voice reading out my calls and texts to me, and letting me respond hands free through my Bluetooth or over the speaker phone. After coming from a Windows phone with Cortana I am extremely spoiled by features like those..... and from what I'm gathering Lenovo is getting rid of them.

I would love to be wrong on that though ;-)

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
J Dubbs, all those capabilities still exist, and I'd argue work best on Moto, because they can be invoked 100% hands free with phone locked and on battery using Trusted Voice (to my knowledge, neither Siri not Cortana do that, but I may be out of date).

The only difference now is that texting and dialing is invoked directly with n Google Assistant, which works a lot faster than the previous Moto Voice ->Google Now indirect method.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
That's a bummer, if I were you I would contact Motorola support. As far as I know, OK Google and Show Me voice recognition should work on all Moto Z2 Force devices, at least in the USA, I'm not sure about other countries and languages.

Note, I am seeing Moto Voice Show Me voice recognition needing to be retrained every week or so, which does seem like a bug, and I can't correlate it with any particular app updates, reboots, etc.

Also, that OK Google Trusted Voice Smart Lock capability that unlocks the phone automatically also seems to have a bug that causes it to disengage periodically.

Clearly, there are bugs in the voice assistants, but again it's not that they've been removed from the Moto lineup.

RRHMJ23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
There was an update to Moto voice not too long ago. I haven't retrained mine since. I'll have to see if the update fixed things. It seems that they both work hit n miss

Brian Baldwin

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Should still be there, I have the latest on my Moto Z and it is there under assistant I think it is. I speak my opening command and i comes up, yes pretty much comes up though with google command listening but works great. I use it a lot when driving. Just got to make sure you have it set up to listen at the right times etc...

Brian Baldwin

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so I need to take it back, voice command is there but it is under "ok Google" now as said previously by someone else. Moto Z2 Force and the Moto Z even though with same OS is different. Ya kind of sucks to not have personalized name but it still all works he same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34