Title says it all. Does this mean anything to us Moto users if we haven't installed the Swype KB? What is Moto doing for its swipe ability? Is it Swype or their own implementation? Anyone know? Thanks.
    02-26-2018 01:45 PM
    If you never installed Swype as a standalone, you should be non-plussed by the news. And even if you did, it only means you won't get any more updates or won't be able to install in a new phone, but the keyboard won't magically stop working (except for any cloud features, not sure if it had any).

Now, for companies that licensed Swype tech for their own keyboards, that is a different story (for instance, older Samsung keyboards were powered by Swype, and then they switched to SwiftKey in newer models and it's what's currently underneath their keyboards now). Depending on the license agreement they had with Swype, any support and future updates will still go through the manufacturer, just with additional support from Swype based on their contract.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-26-2018 02:05 PM
    Right. I get that. I was just wondering if Moto's implementation of its swipe KB had any dependancies on Swype that we should be aware of.
    02-26-2018 02:18 PM
    Even if they did, it would be no different if the app were still around: once their support contract is up, and their support cycle for the Z2 is done, no matter how much Swype would have still worked on, it would have never made it into your Z2. Same thing for the disappearance of the app (since the company is still around): If your keyboard has Swype tech built in, it would still work and would still be active up until the service contract is up (and that might have been up way before the app was even dead).

Past Moto devices just bundled the Swype keyboard with the stock keyboard app; not sure about the Z2. BUT if it is powered by Swype, it'd say so in the Settings when you enable the gliding input method.
    02-26-2018 03:30 PM
    Swiping keyboards were never for me.
    02-27-2018 02:54 PM
    I didn't think they were for me either till I actually gave it a try. Now I don't do it the old tappy way. Just saying.
    03-05-2018 07:40 PM
    meh. Swype was fine but the Google kb caught up over time.
    03-30-2018 04:18 PM
    I'd suggest trying Gboard if you had been a Swype keyboard user. I like it on all my devices.
    03-30-2018 04:46 PM
    I didn't think they were for me either till I actually gave it a try. Now I don't do it the old tappy way. Just saying.
    Same here. I can't deal with any kind of typing. It's so fast and easy.
    04-07-2018 09:37 AM
    For a moment I feared that Gboard will lose swyping as an option. Phew, all is good, now
    04-07-2018 09:39 AM