Can't install new apps - they keep crashing.

DrZero

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I got auto-updated to Android 8.0.0.0 on my AT&T Moto Z2 Force phone.

I tried to install veneo from the Play Store, the install seemed to go fine, but then it crashes every time I start it.

Uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted, uninstalled again, Same thing.

Then I tried to install Square Cash and the same thing happened, so I don't think the problem is with these apps, it's that my phone just crashes loading new apps.

I tried uninstalling and deleting some of the larger apps (Facebook) on the phone. The built in storage is only about 1/2 full, (of 64G) and these are little apps, so I don't think that's it.

My Application list under settings says "76 apps installed" , but about 20 of them are disabled.

Is this an Oreo update bug? Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

DrZero

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I followed the directions but at the final step among the menu options there is no "wipe cache partition" option, so I just went to the last step and selected "reboot system now".

The options available on that menu are:

• Reboot system now
  • Reboot to bootloader
  • Apply update from ADB
  • Apply update from SD card
  • Wipe data/factory reset
  • Mount /system
  • View recovery logs
  • Run graphics test
  • Power off

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That means the Z2 Force has dual partitions in order to do seamless updates -- there's no cache partition to wipe.

Was this an official system update pushed over-the-air, or did you download a file from some site and manually install it?

It's also possible some app you'd already installed has compatibility issues with Oreo, and is causing other apps to crash. Do you have any antivirus apps or "phone cleaner" apps installed?

DrZero

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
It was an official update pushed over the air by AT&T.

(PS: Thanks for answering my questions and trying to help me.)

As far as Apps, I have these ones I wonder about:
  • CQATest
  • Lookout
  • Mobile Services Manager
  • Summit RCS Service

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
CQATest is a normal system app (I think it's a compatibility testing app). Lookout is an antivirus app that is probably preinstalled. Mobile Services Manager is most likely a system app as well. RCS means Rich Communication Services, which is how you get iMessage-like rich texts over text messaging (which has been stalled forever in the US no thanks to the major carriers).

See if you can uninstall Lookout in Settings>Apps. If you can't, then see if it's at least possible to Disable it.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers