07-28-2017 10:48 PM
35 12
tools
    Been using the Z2 Play for a few days and it's the first mid-tier phone I've used since the smartphone craze began. Usually go for the flagship models, whether it's an iPhone, the Z Force Droid, the S8+, etc. So my experience is probably colored by those phones.

Have been using the Verizon model, 32 GB, 3 GB RAM with a 128 GB Samsung EVO Select U3 micro SD card inserted. I'll be returning the Z2 Play for a couple reasons, the main ones being the lag, the camera and the much slower download speeds.

-- I hadn't realized that chip architecture can limit download/upload speeds until reading about it in-depth, after noticing how much slower my downloads were, as compared to my other phones. My FiOS gigabit connection gets me at, or near, 500 MBs download on my other phones, while capping out around 110 with the Z2 Play.
    -- The lag is there, especially on apps such as Facebook and Google Photos. Editing a picture on Google Photos leads to a "wait" splash screen that forces me to close the app and re-open. (I've recreated that annoyance about five times.)
    -- The camera just isn't that good. Oh, bright light and outdoors it'll snap a nice picture, but inside, or in lower light, the lack of OIS reveals itself.

-- On the plus side, it's a great looking and feeling phone. I use a Moto Modo black leather back and the Z2 Play feels great in the hand with it. I will say the battery was a pleasure, but with only using it for a few days, I can't say it's a battery beast. Not enough time for that. Also, even at Full HD, the screen seemed plenty bright enough in the sunlight. And there is still nothing to compare with Moto Actions. Flipping the wrist to activate the camera makes me smile every time, especially when watching somebody stumble to get the camera up on their iPhone. (Why the hell hasn't the great, almighty Apple implemented quicker camera access?)

So guess it'll be the new Z Force, whenever that drops, as I am a big fan of the Moto Z line and Moto Mods. I'm guessing the Z Force camera and processor will boost it back to what I consider "normal." I'm not here to rip the Z2 Play, I'm simply pointing out that to me it was a noticeably different experience from the flagships.
    PowrDroid and xeene like this.
    07-05-2017 06:18 AM
    Speaking of Apple... A while back there was an article talking about the different processors in iPhones, depending upon the built-in storage. The lower the storage the lower the processor, resulting in lower processing speeds. Maybe that's the case with the Z, Z Play, and Z Force?
    07-05-2017 07:16 AM
    Speaking of Apple... A while back there was an article talking about the different processors in iPhones, depending upon the built-in storage. The lower the storage the lower the processor, resulting in lower processing speeds. Maybe that's the case with the Z, Z Play, and Z Force?
    I'm not so sure about that. It's not like Moto is hiding the fact that the Z2 Play has a Snapdragon 626 and the Z Force has an 820 (and I assume the new Z Force will be an 835). And I believe the unlocked Z2 Play, coming later this month, will still have the 626, despite having it's storage bumped up to 64 GB.
    benjamminh likes this.
    07-05-2017 07:40 AM
    That's good to know. Thanks!
    I have the Z Force Droid, with a few mods. It will be interesting to see how the new Z Force 2 shakes out.
    sangs likes this.
    07-05-2017 08:32 AM
    Thanks for the review.

-- The camera just isn't that good. Oh, bright light and outdoors it'll snap a nice picture, but inside, or in lower light, the lack of OIS reveals itself.
    As I suspected....and feared.

So guess it'll be the new Z Force, whenever that drops, as I am a big fan of the Moto Z line and Moto Mods. I'm guessing the Z Force camera and processor will boost it back to what I consider "normal." I'm not here to rip the Z2 Play, I'm simply pointing out that to me it was a noticeably different experience from the flagships.
    Saw a leaked image of the new Force Z2, looks exactly like all the other Z's except had the dual camera on the back. I will be checking out the Force Z2, the Pixel 2 and the Note 8.

Any comments on the fingerprint sensor on the Play Z2?
    sangs likes this.
    07-05-2017 10:07 AM
    Thanks for the review.
    Any comments on the fingerprint sensor on the Play Z2?
    Oh hell yeah, can't believe I forgot that part. The fingerprint sensor is fast and accurate. And it has the added benefit of being able to be used as the BACK, HOME and RECENT APPS buttons, if you activate Moto One-Touch (or whatever it's called). And that worked fantastically well. Just a swipe to the left, or right, or a tap activates all those. When it's active, the on-screen buttons disappear and you get more screen real estate as well. A very enjoyable function, which I assume will make it up the line with all the new models.

Just a quick question btw. Does anybody know why Moto's E-Mail client does not allow for push mail and only allows for scheduled pulling? That also frustrated me.
    07-05-2017 11:19 AM
    Should also add that if you despise bloatware, you're going to be very annoyed, as most of it on the Z2 Play IS NOT removable. You can of course Force Stop and Disable all of them, but cannot completely remove them. I don't normally have an issue with bloatware, but when the phone storage is just 32 GB, that bloatware needs to be removable.

Should also add that there is a Moto/Verizon version of DT Ignite installed, but it has a different name, which escapes me right now. It still has the DT Ignite icon though, so just make sure you show System Apps and disable that nasty mofo right away.
    07-05-2017 11:25 AM
    07-06-2017 08:50 AM
    You know what? I'm going to give the Z2 Play a few more days, since I have until early August to return it. It's a fun little phone. I've been fooling around with the camera more and the PRO shooting mode is much better than the AUTO for low-light photos, even without the OIS. And I cannot stress how quickly I've adapted to the One Button Nav feature. Going back to my iPhone seemed so unnatural when it was time to go back, or open recent apps. Very addictive. Well played Moto.
    Scott337 and PowrDroid like this.
    07-06-2017 08:54 AM
    Also, in case anybody was wondering, there's an active FM Radio in the Z2 Play.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    07-06-2017 09:44 AM
    What is included in the box? Do you at least get a generic back for the phone?
    07-06-2017 10:32 AM
    What is included in the box? Do you at least get a generic back for the phone?
    Nope. Just the phone, power brick and charging cable. No back. (I had a few backs from the Z Force Droid and they fit perfectly.) The back is aluminum now and not glass, btw.
    07-06-2017 11:12 AM
    Also, in case anybody was wondering, there's an active FM Radio in the Z2 Play.
    That's good to know. My local MLB team radio broadcasts are on an FM station. Because of licensing agreements with MLB.com the games are not streamed online. I can see where the FM radio in the Z2 Play coupled with the JBL speaker mod would make listening to the games a breeze.
    Scott337 likes this.
    07-06-2017 11:35 AM
    Nope. Just the phone, power brick and charging cable. No back. (I had a few backs from the Z Force Droid and they fit perfectly.) The back is aluminum now and not glass, btw.
    OK, you've had the Force Z Droid and now the Z2 Play. Pros and cons of each?
    07-06-2017 11:37 AM
    OK, you've had the Force Z Droid and now the Z2 Play. Pros and cons of each?
    Give me a few days for that.
    07-06-2017 11:59 AM
    Pretty sure I'll be joining you here shortly on the Z2 Play train. Trying to decide if I want the black or the white at the moment.
    sangs likes this.
    07-06-2017 01:20 PM
    I ordered the Z2 play two days ago to replace a lost phone. I was tired of waiting with no phone so I picked up the LG G6 yesterday. I got to say this is an awesome phone! Very well-built, great specs and nearly the same price. It seems like a better value than the Z2 play, especially considering the cons against the Z2 ( namely reduced battery life, and the less RAM and memory for no other reason than to ensure you upgrade again later).

BUT, I really like the idea of the mods and have a feeling that it's more my style. I love Bluetooth speakers and have two UE Booms ( that are starting to show their age), but I love the extra portability. Also, I know that the Z2 will drive my wife nuts, which is always a sign it's right for me

When I get the phone delivered tomorrow, I'm going to open it up and play with it to see which one I like more.
    benjamminh likes this.
    07-06-2017 01:48 PM
    I ordered the Z2 play two days ago to replace a lost phone. I was tired of waiting with no phone so I picked up the LG G6 yesterday. I got to say this is an awesome phone! Very well-built, great specs and nearly the same price. It seems like a better value than the Z2 play, especially considering the cons against the Z2 ( namely reduced battery life, and the less RAM and memory for no other reason than to ensure you upgrade again later).

BUT, I really like the idea of the mods and have a feeling that it's more my style. I love Bluetooth speakers and have two UE Booms ( that are starting to show their age), but I love the extra portability. Also, I know that the Z2 will drive my wife nuts, which is always a sign it's right for me

When I get the phone delivered tomorrow, I'm going to open it up and play with it to see which one I like more.
    Please report back with your findings.
    07-06-2017 02:32 PM
    Day 1 with the Z2 play. Coming from a nexus 5x. Had the original Moto x and Moto x 2014. So far loving this phone. Didn't realize how much I love the Moto platform.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    07-06-2017 07:09 PM
    Waiting for that free soundboost to arrive is going to be torture.
    07-07-2017 12:07 AM
    Yesterday was the first day I used the Z2 Play in a low signal area (Verizon) and the standby battery depletion was a bit alarming. Went from 100 to 90 in about 2 hours. I'd sent a couple of texts during that period, otherwise it just sat in my pocket. That concerns me a great deal.
    07-07-2017 07:22 AM
    Yesterday was the first day I used the Z2 Play in a low signal area (Verizon) and the standby battery depletion was a bit alarming. Went from 100 to 90 in about 2 hours. I'd sent a couple of texts during that period, otherwise it just sat in my pocket. That concerns me a great deal.
    That does not sound happy...especially since I wander into extra low service a week at a time.
    07-07-2017 09:30 AM
    So, 5% decrease in battery per hour. I don't know why that would be concerning. It's probably typical for any cell phone in a low signal area that is constantly searching for a signal.
    07-07-2017 10:09 AM
    So, 5% decrease in battery per hour. I don't know why that would be concerning. It's probably typical for any cell phone in a low signal area that is constantly searching for a signal.
    Not in my experience it's not. It's a place I frequent regularly. My iPhone has never once dropped from 100 to 90 while idle there. Neither has my Z Force or S8+ (the most recent phones I've used). In fact, I'll be back there later tomorrow and will be sure to check exactly how much it does.
    PowrDroid likes this.
    07-07-2017 11:32 AM
    Thanks! I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy. Thus far with really less than 24 hours use I'm happy with it.
    07-07-2017 03:10 PM
35 12