Post Pictures taken from your Z2.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got a Z2 Play last night. I took a few shots this morning and compared them with an iPhone 7 (not the Plus).

My impressions are that the Moto camera software applies a lot more sharpening than the iPhone (and more than other camera phones I have seen). I really noticed it as sharpening halos around the leaves of the palm trees. Slide1.jpg. That could also be purple-fringing reduction algorithms as dark tree leaves against a bright background are notoriously tough for creating purple fringing on digital cameras. I see no evidence of fringing so some software corrections are happening.

Overall, the Moto Z2 photos are sharp (right on the verge of being crunchy) and look pretty good. Exposure is slightly under, probably somewhere on the -1/3 side which I prefer to the iPhone actually. I didn't like the darkening of the Moto sky, making it look almost grey at the top. In fairness to Moto, I've noticed the iPhone 7 doing that a lot too but in this case the iPhone 7 sky looks much better.
Slide4.jpg

For the indoor shot, I prefer the Moto picture hands down. Colors seem more saturated, the sharpening really helps with the overall scene here, and I think the contrast is higher (more pleasing to my eye). The iPhone photo looks slightly washed out in comparison. And yes, I realize the two compositions are not identical but hey, this is a quick snappy comparison :)

Considering the list price of the 2 phones is $250 apart I think the Moto is holding its own pretty well.

Slide5.jpg

The flower photo is also interesting. I tried much harder to frame exactly the same perspective on both phones. The Moto must have a slightly wider lens because I had to get a bit closer to the flower on the Moto than I did on the iPhone to make the picture nearly identical. The Moto depth of field is shallower in general and when combined with being slightly closer it renders the flowers less in overall focus than the iPhone. The background is more blurred to on the Moto, so overall the Moto has a shallower depth of field.

Hard to say which of these I prefer. I like the colors on the Moto a little better than the iPhone, but I think the iPhone is pulling in a bit more detail (even allowing for the deeper depth of field). the center of the sunflower in the iPhone shot seems just a bit more detailed.
Slide3.jpg

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I took a few more outdoor shots. Clearly excellent conditions - lots of light! Still, the pictures to me look very good. I didn't see any of that janky grey sky. Also, the exposure metering to me looks spot on. Colors don't have the oversaturated look of the Samsung (but lets be honest, also awesome look of the Samsung) but aren't washed out either.

IMG_20170730_132710994.jpg

IMG_20170730_140518495.jpg

I was particularly impressed by this interior courtyard shot. Very hard to meter and the Moto did well! A few blown out highlights (the white shirts of people) but overall metering is about what I would have done manually. Sky isn't blown out even though it is a bit lighter than actual, nor are the darker areas just a muddy dark mess. Sharpening is maybe a tiny bit too high but I'm very happy with the shot.

IMG_20170730_132924049.jpg

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I took a few more outdoor shots. Clearly excellent conditions - lots of light! Still, the pictures to me look very good. I didn't see any of that janky grey sky. Also, the exposure metering to me looks spot on. Colors don't have the oversaturated look of the Samsung (but lets be honest, also awesome look of the Samsung) but aren't washed out either.

View attachment 264868

View attachment 264866

I was particularly impressed by this interior courtyard shot. Very hard to meter and the Moto did well! A few blown out highlights (the white shirts of people) but overall metering is about what I would have done manually. Sky isn't blown out even though it is a bit lighter than actual, nor are the darker areas just a muddy dark mess. Sharpening is maybe a tiny bit too high but I'm very happy with the shot.

View attachment 264867
Newport Beach?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol