Title is self-explanatory, I want to make sure I'm not losing too much compared to z play. Thank you
    10-09-2017 06:06 PM
    this may be a near pointless question, unless people include what brightness level they keep their screen at, whether they have Bluetooth turned on all day for headsets or smart watches, how long they are on the phone for calls, if they have location enabled, etc.

Even many of those things drain battery with the screen off, it still affects the amount of screen time possible in any full charge cycle.
    10-10-2017 12:35 PM
    gee, speaking of pointless, thanks for the helpful reply, I do pretty much know what I'm talking about, but if you think you're helping me then fine . . . I would generally expect people to sketch their typical usage along with their answer but didn't think I needed to spell that out
    10-10-2017 03:20 PM
    Revtech, my apologies, my hastily typed reply wasn't meant as a criticism of your question, but I can see how it came across that way due to the "pointless" remark, so I accept your wrist slap. I should have phrased differently.

Fwiw, the sentiment just stems from the many long battery threads I've seen that weren't as helpful as they could have been for those of us trying to diagnose poor battery life (which I realize isn't your situation).

Again..sorry for my poor choice of words.
    10-10-2017 03:50 PM
    I've been surprised because of the smaller battery in the z2 I was expecting to see alot of those battery threads you mentioned but I haven't seen any helpful ones in this forum yet . . no sweat on the apology, I was probably just as snarky but yes the word "pointless" kinda set me off but I can tell now you're a decent guy, so my turn to apologize now 🙄 . . . Either way I'd still like to know if the z2 play gets through a heavy usage day or not, I don't care about "two-day" battery life, but I'd like to think it still gets through the day with lots to spare . . I've read the reviews but was looking for some real world over time usage numbers
    10-10-2017 04:08 PM
    Well, I'm further embarrassed to tell you I'm not even a Z2 Play user, though I seriously considered one a few weeks back due to dismal battery life collapse on my Moto Droid Turbo 2, which has a huge battery. After reading the same reviews you probably did of Z2 Play and Force Edition, I concluded Z2 Play would be the optimal choice on both cost and battery life, despite its battery size reduction. I'm not afraid of smaller batteries *if* overall power draw is better managed, esp. screen draw. (The 720p 2013 Droid Maxx was a brilliantly balanced design in this respect.)

Hopefully lack of battery discussions is a sign of high satisfaction with battery life on this new model. Since the very launch of the 2015 Droid Turbo 2 I have, there've been seemingly constant threads due to many owners not seeing anywhere near the Verizon and Moto touted numbers, e.g. <2 hrs screen time, while others loving life at 5+ hrs screen time. Nougat update seemed to drive many of us down even further. I've come to suspect the DT2 suffered a batch of bad original batteries, and/or a power draining bug in the radio software stack.

FWIW, I wound up having a $70 OEM battery replacement installed on my DT2, and now getting 14+ hour standby and 3 hour screen times far beyond any I had even when it was new, as measured by GSam Battery Monitor Pro. I'm a pretty heavy user, frequent Bluetooth, high power location services, Moto Voice enabled, etc.

I'm hopeful to hear that your two year newer Z2 Play sees even better numbers than those. Good luck!
    10-10-2017 04:34 PM
    With WiFi, Bluetooth, precise location, medium brightness, 3 push email accounts with 100 messages a day, 150 texts, and what I would call average use I get 6 hours of screen on time as reported by GSAM and generally cannot kill the battery in a single day. Best battery life on a phone I have ever seen. I bought the battery mod and never use it.
    10-10-2017 11:14 PM
    With Wi-Fi on, three email accounts with probably around 50-75 total messages a day, checking news, a few videos, no gaming, but screen on for at least half the time, at end of ~12 hour day, my Z2 Play, unlocked on VZW, has about 60-70% battery remaining. It's much better than my unlocked Moto X Pure ever was, and certainly reasonable for a relatively small battery.
    Andrew Bonner likes this.
    10-11-2017 10:49 AM