Oreo Coming Soon?!

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Reports say the Verizon Z2 Force started getting Oreo updates last night, hopefully Z2 Play won't be far behind . . .

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
We can hope. But we're talking two different phones (internally at least) with two different priorities given to them by Verizon and Motorola. Lets see how the Oreo shakes down on the Force before we "hope" that we get it quickly on our Play2's.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
We can hope. But we're talking two different phones (internally at least) with two different priorities given to them by Verizon and Motorola. Lets see how the Oreo shakes down on the Force before we "hope" that we get it quickly on our Play2's.

I could be wrong, but it always seemed to me that Moto treated the Play just as well as the Force in the Z series so I'm hoping for the same treatment with the Z2 . . .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I could be wrong, but it always seemed to me that Moto treated the Play just as well as the Force in the Z series so I'm hoping for the same treatment with the Z2 . . .

They have, with the Force model usually ahead.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Brazilian blogs are reporting that the official update is rolling out for the Moto Z. Nothing about the Play models so far.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey they say we are going to get an Android Pie update! But then again they said that about Oreo and we never got that. So I would not hold your breath.

https://9to5google-com.cdn.ampproje...2018/08/15/android-9-pie-motorola-moto-z-x-g/

In fairness to Motorola, the Z2 (Unlocked) Play DID get Oreo. Just not on Verizon yet. Here the carriers seem to get the final say on if/when a device will get their update. Not sure what the holdup is, since the Z, Z Play, Z2 Force, are all updated on Verizon already.

Murf_1

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
In fairness to Motorola, the Z2 (Unlocked) Play DID get Oreo. Just not on Verizon yet. Here the carriers seem to get the final say on if/when a device will get their update. Not sure what the holdup is, since the Z, Z Play, Z2 Force, are all updated on Verizon already.

I have the unlocked Z2 play. I'm on Cricket, BYOD, but being unlocked I don't get the updates from Cricket. I believe they come directly from Moto/Lenovo. I get all kinds of security updates, but no OS. I'm in the US. I run the Update search and get nothing. I guess I will have to contact Moto.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Seem to? They do get final say on updates to carrier phones.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the unlocked Z2 play. I'm on Cricket, BYOD, but being unlocked I don't get the updates from Cricket. I believe they come directly from Moto/Lenovo. I get all kinds of security updates, but no OS. I'm in the US. I run the Update search and get nothing. I guess I will have to contact Moto.

Was your phone verizon branded?, even though it's now unlocked to use on other carriers? If so, Verizon still has to sign off on the update before you can get it. And you'll still get the update if you're on another carrier now.

If it's branded to any particular carrier, they get the say on when its updated. As far as I'm aware, in the US, Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't done the 8.0 update yet.

Murf_1

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
Was your phone verizon branded?, even though it's now unlocked to use on other carriers? If so, Verizon still has to sign off on the update before you can get it. And you'll still get the update if you're on another carrier now.

If it's branded to any particular carrier, they get the say on when its updated. As far as I'm aware, in the US, Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't done the 8.0 update yet.

No carrier purchase. It was purchased as a unlocked phone. You can use it with any carrier that supports Bring Your Own Device - in my case I chose Cricket. It can be used in any country also. That is why I think my Android updates come straight from Moto/Lenovo. My Software Channel is "retla". US support giving me the run-around playing pass the ticket. They say I need to Ask UK support, then came back and said Cayman Island support (but it was the same UK link). So I am sorting thru that. It should not be that hard to find out when/if I will get Oreo when they say Z2 play will get it. My phone is pretty much stock - no carrier bloat or anything. Not rooted or anything hacked.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No carrier purchase. It was purchased as a unlocked phone. You can use it with any carrier that supports Bring Your Own Device - in my case I chose Cricket. It can be used in any country also. That is why I think my Android updates come straight from Moto/Lenovo. My Software Channel is "retla". US support giving me the run-around playing pass the ticket. They say I need to Ask UK support, then came back and said Cayman Island support (but it was the same UK link). So I am sorting thru that. It should not be that hard to find out when/if I will get Oreo when they say Z2 play will get it. My phone is pretty much stock - no carrier bloat or anything. Not rooted or anything hacked.

retla sounds like it's the Latin America version. (Or is it retlam?)

Murf_1

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
retla sounds like it's the Latin America version. (Or is it retlam?)

I believe you are correct, retla = Latin america.

However I read on a support forum where a moderator said updates don't use Software Channels. Someone was worried they would not get an update because their software channel was empty. Mod said that some phones don't show a Software Channel and it doesn't matter. It won't keep you from getting an update.