I used to love Motorola before they were bought by Lenovo. My Moto X Play was the best phone I had ever used at the time. Moto was my go-to for near stock Android without the Nexus/Pixel price tag. Then Motorola got their shoes tied together and delivered Nougat a year after if was originally announced.

Now I used to steer away from Samsung for lack of updates. But I've had the S8 since October and got all the security updates at the end of each month which is completely acceptable.

I'm looking at the MZ2P because of its new price and I'm interested in it. But I'm wondering how things are now update wise? Are they delivered quickly (whether they're security updates or point upgrades)?
    02-05-2018 10:59 AM
    Updates don't come as quickly as they used to, before Lenovo time, but they are steady. Soak test for Oreo on the Z2 Play has been running for a while and now we got this.

https://www.xda-developers.com/motor...2-g5-g5s-more/

Security updates don't come monthly and if this is a high priority for you maybe you should try a different phone (more recent and more expensive).
    dlalonde likes this.
    02-05-2018 02:08 PM
    You're likely looking at quarterly through this summer and it'll get slower when it's replacement comes out.
    02-05-2018 03:05 PM
    I have been getting monthly security updates on my Z Play. The most recent one I got was the one for December 2017. They are about a month or two behind Google. However, at least recently they have been coming out pretty much on a regular basis.
    dlalonde likes this.
    02-05-2018 04:08 PM
    Alright it all seems pretty fair. I don't mind it that much if they don't come in monthly (I did get an S8 after all) but I was a bit worried about Motorola after my X Play experience. Now I see even last year's Z Play is getting Oreo at the same time as the Z2 Play making this the second major upgrade for the device in a quite acceptable time frame.

Plus I'm buying it unlocked because my carrier doesn't have it so monthly updates may be harder to get anyway...
    02-05-2018 10:02 PM
    I've had several issues since the last update with the SD card being the biggest problem. I have loved this phone until the update that came along 1-6-18.
    Anything I had stored externally no longer works, so images, Amazon music, etc.
    I am running 7.1.1, update NDNS26.118-23. 178.23.12.7
    Hope the info is helpful
    Cheers
    dlalonde likes this.
    02-05-2018 10:45 PM