Moto Mods

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
If I could buy any one Moto Mod, what would you recommend? I was considering the battery pack because it should more than double my phone's on-screen time. But, I was also interested in the Moto Gamepad, I liked the idea of it being a "mini" Switch in a sense.

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Ok, thanks, that's what I was originally thinking because I also liked the idea of keeping the phone battery hovering around 80%. That would help the overall life span of the phone and I saw it was on sale for $60 right now as well.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have the Tumi 2200mah with wireless charging mounted in my car as a sort of "car dock+ charger", and keep the TurboPower 3490mah on my phone most of the rest of the time. With heavy usage it makes it a good two solid days, and being able to charge both the phone and the mod at the same time (on different chargers) means that I could be ready for another two days in less than 2 hours. I HIGHLY recommend a battery mod.

I also picked up the gamepad mod when it was "buy a mod, get the projector free" sale at Verizon. It's nice for some games, but not everything plays perfectly well with it. It's well built and is MUCH more responsive than even the xbox controller paired via bluetooth.
The projector, well, it's pretty cool, even at only 480p. It'll get much more use when it gets warm out and I can do movie nights in the yard with the kids!

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply! I was leaning towards the battery mod initially, but now I think I'm just going to go for it, the battery mod that is. Being able to get 2 days off one charge would be amazing! I also love the idea of keeping that battery charged at 80% to help the lengthen the phone's life span. I've been watching the Moto Gamepad and I think I'll just wait until it goes on sale. Thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Moto battery pack, it does basically double my Z2's time before charging is required, and I have one of the smaller battery mods. I also have the SoundBoost 2 and a plain back. The only reason I got the plain back is only so I put the phone down on a table and not risk damaging the camera lens or housing. I want the TrueZoom camera, but I can't afford the almost $300 it costs. IMO, the projector is useless.

As to the question as stated, which ONE mod to get? Only you can answer that. What are you looking for on your ONE mod? So far as I'm aware, only the battery mod will actually power the phone (forex, the Soundboost's battery only powers the mod).

Hawk Conqui

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
Ok, do you use efficiency mode on your Moto TurboPower pack? If you do, how does it help the lifespan of the phone's battery? I wanted to make this phone last as long as possible and I was wondering if the power pack could help me with that.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, do you use efficiency mode on your Moto TurboPower pack? If you do, how does it help the lifespan of the phone's battery? I wanted to make this phone last as long as possible and I was wondering if the power pack could help me with that.

Nope, I have it in Default Mode. Mine's the Power Pack, not the TurboPower pack. I got the smaller one. :)

On light usage, the PowerPack runs out of juice not long before I head to bed. On heavy usage, it'll run out around dinner time. Note that even on "light usage" on a work day, I have a power drain due to crappy signal strength in my office causing the phone to ramp up power to the radio to try to hold onto an LTE signal, failing and then even at times failing to hold onto a basic data capable connection.

I get better battery life when at home and otherwise the same usage.

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply! I was leaning towards the battery mod initially, but now I think I'm just going to go for it, the battery mod that is. Being able to get 2 days off one charge would be amazing! I also love the idea of keeping that battery charged at 80% to help the lengthen the phone's life span. I've been watching the Moto Gamepad and I think I'll just wait until it goes on sale. Thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

At first I was like you thinking that keeping the internal battery at 80% would be optimum for the battery, but as it turned out it degraded my battery. My internal battery after 1+ years depletes rapidly (when not attached to the battery mod). And there is MUCH discussion here on the forums with others who have found the same thing.

I'd recommend using the battery mod like you plan to, but set it to off (new mod update setting) until you get down to 50 or 40% and then turn it on and let the battery mod do it's thing taking it back to 80% with efficiency mode. I think that way you will extend the life of your internal.

It's a shame they haven't implemented a way to do that automatically with the battery mod software, but hopefully in the future they will let you set the actual percentage you want the battery mod to kick in in addition to the 2 modes they currently have.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
At first I was like you thinking that keeping the internal battery at 80% would be optimum for the battery, but as it turned out it degraded my battery. My internal battery after 1+ years depletes rapidly (when not attached to the battery mod). And there is MUCH discussion here on the forums with others who have found the same thing.

I'd recommend using the battery mod like you plan to, but set it to off (new mod update setting) until you get down to 50 or 40% and then turn it on and let the battery mod do it's thing taking it back to 80% with efficiency mode. I think that way you will extend the life of your internal.

It's a shame they haven't implemented a way to do that automatically with the battery mod software, but hopefully in the future they will let you set the actual percentage you want the battery mod to kick in in addition to the 2 modes they currently have.

Which phone are you describing?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan