I bought a MZ2P a few months ago to replace my MZP for no reason on particular, there was a great deal on the unlocked 64gb version. I'm frustrated no oreo yet, no may security patch yet, and finally I contributed to the keyboard mod indie gogo campaign over a yest ago and it is held up at the finish line due to moto development team got reorganized. Now, Android P is in beta. Just bought the original Pixel Xl on Swappa. Am I crazy?
    05-10-2018 12:59 PM
    Lenovo I believe has said that it releases Moto security updates on a quarterly basis, not monthly. If updates are important for you, Pixel is the only Android phone that can seriously be considered.
    spwexler likes this.
    05-10-2018 01:10 PM
    I have the April Security patch on my Mz2p. The security patches have been coming along give or take every other month. Which is far better than most other manufacturers seem to be doing.
    That said, as long as the security patches keep coming at a regular rate, the actual version of the OS isn't quite that important.
    As far as that crowdfunded keyboard, that has nothing at all to do with Motorola/Lenovo. The crowd fund sites even state that you're "investing in the development" of something, and that the "rewards" cannot be guaranteed. They're not a store where you pay and you get something in return.

And I will fully agree with Mario, If you're concerned most with having the most recent OS, the Pixel is the only way to go. If you're ok with being behind on the OS version, but very timely security updates are important, BlackBerry seems to be where it's at (sometimes even getting the security patches a couple days ahead of the Nexus/Pixel lines).
    05-10-2018 09:47 PM
    I also have the original Moto Z Play and the Z2 Play. My Z Play got Oreo 8.0 with the April Security patch just a number of days ago but my Z2 Play(that is a year newer) still is on 7.1.1 with the February patch.
    05-10-2018 10:49 PM
    I have seen & read many "Official" & "Unofficial" media sources since it was announced that Android was going to go this route. The gist of it is, Depending on your model, Carrier & Country will determine the rough estimated time of arrival for the Oreo Update.
    Someone in their brilliant wisdom decided that some models (while not that long ago on the market for some) would either wait until basically December this year. OR were upgraded by February this year as it began it's North American run.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...do-you-get-it/ (marked as safe by WoT & a few other security features on my PC) has some information although it is not as complete or up to date as some I have seen.
    05-12-2018 04:01 PM
    I'm very happy with my OG pixel Xl. On android p beta
    05-16-2018 10:32 AM
    The wife and I each have a -01 Z2 Play. Mine is rooted, her's not. We are on Verizon. Her Z2 Play is still on 7.1.1, but received the April security patch, last week.
    05-26-2018 12:15 PM