Z2 Play + Moto TurboPower Mod : Not charging Mod anymore?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After nearly a year with the Z2P, I've finally found an issue that's perplexing me.
I got the TurboPower Mod when they were released. I kept it at "efficient" setting. So 80% internal before Mod starts sending power.

At the end of a very long day, the Mod is usually around 40-60%. I'd plug the phone in (using the internal port), and it would bring the internal battery to 100%, then start charging the Mod.
The past couple weeks the phone has been hitting 100%, but the mod would stay uncharged. If I plug directly into the Mod, it charges just fine. And will charge the phone from that port too.

Obviously this isn't a huge deal since it still charges and works properly otherwise. I just find it odd that it won't charge up from the phone like it used to.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Same charger?

Same set of chargers actually. I have 4 or 5 different places that I charge it up. Usually on my nightstand, or at my desk at work. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell.

I'm leaning away from it being a phone issue though, as my Tumi wireless charger/battery back did take a charge from the phone plug connection today, as the Moto power mod used to.

More testing is needed. I am waiting on a Moto Z Force Droid to arrive, so if shows the same symptoms from that phone, than I know the Mod has a failure somewhere in it. If it works, than maybe I'll take the time to do a full factory wipe on the Z2P and see if that clears anything up.

recumbentbob

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
power the phone off. Remove battery mod. Clean the pins on both phone and battery with isopropyl alcohol.
let dry and see if this helps.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
power the phone off. Remove battery mod. Clean the pins on both phone and battery with isopropyl alcohol.
let dry and see if this helps.

Cleaned it. I also tried the mod on my Moto Z Force, and it did the same thing. Didn't charge the mod from the phone, but the phone charges from the mod.

So either two phones are broken in exactly the same way (both charge my Tumi pack from the phone), or the Turbo Power mod has a fault somewhere.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the fault is in the battery mod.
Anyone you know with a battery mod you can try?

I have 2 battery Mods.
the first one I got is the Tumi 2200mah wireless charging back. That one DOES charge from the phone (actually from both my Z Force and my Z2 Play).
The second battery I got was the TurboPower 3250mah. I prefer the rubber back and higher capacity over the "convenience" of wireless charging. This one is the subject of this thread. Since it has it's own usb connection, I can still charge it no problem. And my phone does charge off of that connection. I just found it weird that it wouldn't charge from the phones connection like it had previously. This behavior is consistent across both the Z Force and Z2 Play that I have.

At this point, two different batteries, two different Moto Z phones, and one battery charges FROM BOTH phones, and the other will not charge from EITHER phone, I'm left to believe that the Turbo Battery mod is the faulty component in this mix. I just have to remember to plug in from the side, not the bottom if I want to wake up with both internal and external battery fully charged. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech