Moto Z3 Play Hands-On

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited to check these out! I've always had a soft spot for the Play line. Thanks so much!

I'm a big Moto fan since original Moto X. Had the 2nd gen and returned it ((terrible battery) went back to OG. Than got the X Pure. Loved the feel,, I screen (most accurate ever) and best speakers. Hated the battery even more!
Than, got excited with 1st gen Z Play and got it. (sold The Droid version once left VZW and got unlocked one). But, Second Gen was a step back - big battery cut. And now from what I see w Z3 Play, it's another hit on a battery. Same size but bigger screen.
Originally "Play" stood for extra Time Playing. Not anymore.
Also, the software updates are disappointing. I got Oreo less than a month ago on my unlocked Z Play , whereas my wife's (also unlocked) Z2 play is still running Nougat. And my Z Play even though so late in the game got only 8.0 not 8.1 update.
Lenovo is simply not reliable for anything Motorola.
My next phone - unless they release a remake.of OG Moto X (need a single hand friendly phone) - won't be Moto.
The only reason I would consider is because of their superb and to me best yet take on notifications - Active Display. Really hard to give up on that.
Though, the G6 play I will recommend to all of my friends who need a reliable phone on a budget.
I'm just about to get 2 for older fam members. I already got 1 g5s and 2 of the g4 plays for others. The latter are due for upgrades. Amazing piece of tech for $180

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep I love my MXPE, for me it was the complete package.... small bezels/big vibrant qhd display, awesome twin front firing speakers with great sound, premium look/feel/build with flagship hardware for it's time, and always buttery smooth and fast.
Plus nobody tops the Moto voice/Moto actions and Moto notifications. I'm still rocking my MXPE as my daily driver and after 3 years it still looks and runs like new. The battery hasn't even shown any noticeable signs of failing, but I'm a pretty light user.

But I have recently purchased a pixel, because as much as I like my MXPE, I won't be owning any more Motorola's because of Lenovo's lack of security and software support.
Plus I agree they seem to be bringing the top tier Moto phones down some specwise with each new release. I heard the z3 will be the last of the modular Moto phones.

I think they're really only good for budget shoppers who want a great mid-range phone at a great price, and aren't worried about security or software updates. Their flagships definitely don't get enough consistent, long term support to be worth the investment.

It's a shame really....

super_rigel

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm a big Moto fan since original Moto X. Had the 2nd gen and returned it ((terrible battery) went back to OG. Than got the X Pure. Loved the feel,, I screen (most accurate ever) and best speakers. Hated the battery even more!
Than, got excited with 1st gen Z Play and got it. (sold The Droid version once left VZW and got unlocked one). But, Second Gen was a step back - big battery cut. And now from what I see w Z3 Play, it's another hit on a battery. Same size but bigger screen.
Originally "Play" stood for extra Time Playing. Not anymore.
Also, the software updates are disappointing. I got Oreo less than a month ago on my unlocked Z Play , whereas my wife's (also unlocked) Z2 play is still running Nougat. And my Z Play even though so late in the game got only 8.0 not 8.1 update.
Lenovo is simply not reliable for anything Motorola.
My next phone - unless they release a remake.of OG Moto X (need a single hand friendly phone) - won't be Moto.
The only reason I would consider is because of their superb and to me best yet take on notifications - Active Display. Really hard to give up on that.
Though, the G6 play I will recommend to all of my friends who need a reliable phone on a budget.
I'm just about to get 2 for older fam members. I already got 1 g5s and 2 of the g4 plays for others. The latter are due for upgrades. Amazing piece of tech for $180

I owned the Z Play, still have the Z2 Play and just got the Z3 Play. The Z3 Play battery life is really good. It's 8:04 pm and I was up at 7 am and I'm currently at 66 %. I use my phone constantly as I work for Partner Retail for Canada's largest mobile provider. Battery life should not be a concern on the Z3 Play. The fingerprint reader on the side of the device is excellent and very reliable. I like each progression. It's seriously worth it. Hope this helps a bit.

ohno notagain

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
This is my first Moto phone because the specs looked really good. It is a Amazon phone I got 50 bucks off. the phone is working great, long battery life. one button nav. I see nothing to complain about. some times the face unlock doesn't unlock whenever my mug is starring at it. so I put my finger on the reader and within a nano second it's open so fast. A great phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2