Anyone using Verizon Z3 after Z2 Force?

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Have any Verizon Z2 Force fans moved to Z3? I realize not many, if any, since Z3 is nearly identical electronics (cpu, camera).

My Z2F just died from water damage, and Verizon is running a Z3 50% off promotion right now ($10/mo, online only, requires 2 year device payment plan).

I'm concerned about losing front flash, fingerprint sleep, ShatterShield, and "Show Me" (which I used often in the car, actually).

Is anything compelling gained on Z3 vs. Z2F?

I'm hoping Z3 touchscreen One Button Nav is as easy to use on Z2F fingerprint sensor (truly one of my favorite Z2F features).

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
The Z3 doesn't have Show Me in the Moto App? From what I have read the one button nav is very smooth on the Z3. I can't confirm that personally, just what I have read. I'm buying my wife one for Mother's Day to replace her Z2 Play

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
The Z3 doesn't have Show Me in the Moto App?

RIP Show Me, replaced by "Hello Moto" on the Z3 Moto Voice feature, which seems to duplicate Google Assistant "Hey Google".

I found "Show Me <app>" a lot faster and natural than "Hey Google" [ding] "Open <app>"

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm now leaning towards buying a new (not refurb) Moto Z2 Force on eBay for ~$250, rather than going with the Verizon Z3 promotion. After using the Z3 an hour or so yesterday, I really prefer the Z2F design, esp. front fingerprint sensor.

And call me crazy, but ShatterShield is compelling to me.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I like Shattershield. I know it has / had a bad rep, but I like the piece of mind knowing I'm not gonna crack my screen. I owned the Turbo 2, Z Force and Z2 Force now. I know it scratches easily, so I put a screen protector on each and have had a good experience with Shattershield

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I like Shattershield. I know it has / had a bad rep, but I like the piece of mind knowing I'm not gonna crack my screen. I owned the Turbo 2, Z Force and Z2 Force now. I know it scratches easily, so I put a screen protector on each and have had a good experience with Shattershield

Yup, same here. I never understood the tempest in a teapot complaints about Shattershield plastic screen, since it's wise to put a protector on *any* screen, Gorilla Glass or otherwise. $8 to replace a cracked tempered glass screen protector, or $100+ to replace a broken LCD screen.

Another plus of Shattershield is its lighter weight. Z3 feels too heavy in my hand with a basic protective case on it, whereas Z2F feels perfectly weighted.

Overall, I'm disappointed in Motorola and Verizon for seemingly backwards steps on the Z3. Hopefully a forthcoming Z4 will undo these and arrive with Shattershield and front LED flash. I'm not sure what to think yet about in-screen fingerprint sensor, which could be another step backwards if it's not useful for phone lock/unlock (another Z2F advantage).

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Yup, same here. I never understood the tempest in a teapot complaints about Shattershield plastic screen, since it's wise to put a protector on *any* screen, Gorilla Glass or otherwise. $8 to replace a cracked tempered glass screen protector, or $100+ to replace a broken LCD screen.

Another plus of Shattershield is its lighter weight. Z3 feels too heavy in my hand with a basic protective case on it, whereas Z2F feels perfectly weighted.

Overall, I'm disappointed in Motorola and Verizon for seemingly backwards steps on the Z3. Hopefully a forthcoming Z4 will undo these and arrive with Shattershield and front LED flash. I'm not sure what to think yet about in-screen fingerprint sensor, which could be another step backwards if it's not useful for phone lock/unlock (another Z2F advantage).

If you basically never shatter a glass screen, or if your company replaces your phone if you do, the shattershield is only a negative. The plastic scratches way too easy.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
If you basically never shatter a glass screen, or if your company replaces your phone if you do, the shattershield is only a negative. The plastic scratches way too easy.

Comes down to personal preference, I prefer the lighter weight and peace of mind. I've had Gorilla Glass scratch, so use screen protectors on all phones.

PortablePete

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I switched from the z2 force to the z3. After my old phone was broken I went with this and I like it actually better than the z2. Small difference in many areas but it added up to a great device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey