App Compatibility with the Admiral's 640x480 Screen

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I too am a (reluctant) webOS convert and no its not an obvious question. I wish I could find the link of site where I learned to do it. Someone much smarter than I figured out how to do this and there may be a better way but here's one way to do it.

You need two android devices that can access the google market. No rooting necessary.

Download Astro File Manager to both devices. Its free.

Fire up Astro on the device that has the apk you want to transfer to the other device. (In this case the non Admiral device.)

Tap on the last button "Application Backup"

You will then see a list of all your installed apps. Click on the ones you want to backup and select "backup"

On the same device, open your email client of choice.

Hit the attach button and the email will ask you to chose attachment from a list of places. Choose ASTRO.

Then choose the file from Astro folder titled "backups"

Then choose the file from the folder titled "apps"

Then choose the app you want to transfer to another device.

Send the email to yourself (or to an email that the other device can receive)

Open the email client on the device you are transferring the apk to. (in our case your Admiral)

Open the email and save the attachment.

Open Astro on the device you just sent the email to.(on the Admiral)

Click the top button "File Manager"

It should open up to /mnt/sdcard. If not navigate there.

The saved apk from the email should be in that folder.

Tap on the apk choose "Install"

I probably made that sound much harder than it really is. It takes just a couple of minutes to do.

Now you can get apps on your Admiral that don't show up in the app catalog.

Every app that I have tried (a dozen or so) have worked just fine on both my Kindle and Admiral.

Hope that helps!

notcalvin

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Another webOS refugee, and I have similar problems. I guess we are all here because we all got Admirals because we all like physical portrait keyboards and all used to call precentral home. Small world.

I have been having this problem as well, I appreciate the advice on how to move an app from one phone to another. I'll get a few apps I've been missing (amdroid and/or lullaby, which are ampache apps for android) as well as the paper mache enyo frame work app.

notcalvin

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I tried Presto's instructions last night, and had mixed results.

I was able to back up the apps nicely from my wife's Evo with the Astro file manager.

When I went to mail them using the stock email app, it didn't allow for attaching just any random file to the email. You'll need a market email app for that to work, I suggest K-9 (open source and quite popular - it has a unified inbox, too, like webos). Alternatively, you can just plug your phone into your PC via USB and copy the files between the phones that way, which is what I did instead of messing around configuring a whole entire email app on my wife's phone.

Ok, once on the Admiral I went to install the apps with Astro (amdroid, an ampache music streaming app), and paper Mache, a somewhat experimental Enyo crossover app from webOS). It said it could not parse the paper mache app. Ok, no problem, I know that app is a little non-standard to begin with.

The Amdroid app install was wierd. I'd say install it, and the screen would 'fall back' to the Astro install screen instead of, well, doing something. Just on a lark, I tried to do the install with the file manager app I had on my phone already, Open Manager (quite a nice app, plus open source and no ads) and it installed fine and the app appears to work fine.

By the way, I looked into backing up the apps with Open Manager before I installed Astro, and it only has the option to back up everything, and when I said 'go' to that, it crashed in the middle.

So, my procedure for this in the future will be to backup with Astro, copy via USB, then install with Open Manager.

Presto, thanks a ton, you opened the door for me, I was starting to consider learning how to compile from the dev kit. :eek:

tdkeaveny

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
i am thinking of getting a Motorola PRO+ which i think is the same phone as the Admiral (same screen anyway).

Only thing making me hesitate is this resolution business. There does not seem to be that much disccusion about the issue, can i take it that this means that most apps work correctly?

Can someone give a rough estimate on how many app they have had issues with VS. the ones that work?

thanks a lot

SanDiegoStevo

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Most apps work fine.

I've only ever had one app that I cared about that I was not able to get via the market: Words with Friends.

Even that has a work-around for the slightly more advanced user. (downloading on another device and side-loading as described in this thread.)

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I tried Presto's instructions last night, and had mixed results.

I was able to back up the apps nicely from my wife's Evo with the Astro file manager.

When I went to mail them using the stock email app, it didn't allow for attaching just any random file to the email. You'll need a market email app for that to work, I suggest K-9 (open source and quite popular - it has a unified inbox, too, like webos). Alternatively, you can just plug your phone into your PC via USB and copy the files between the phones that way, which is what I did instead of messing around configuring a whole entire email app on my wife's phone.

Ok, once on the Admiral I went to install the apps with Astro (amdroid, an ampache music streaming app), and paper Mache, a somewhat experimental Enyo crossover app from webOS). It said it could not parse the paper mache app. Ok, no problem, I know that app is a little non-standard to begin with.

The Amdroid app install was wierd. I'd say install it, and the screen would 'fall back' to the Astro install screen instead of, well, doing something. Just on a lark, I tried to do the install with the file manager app I had on my phone already, Open Manager (quite a nice app, plus open source and no ads) and it installed fine and the app appears to work fine.

By the way, I looked into backing up the apps with Open Manager before I installed Astro, and it only has the option to back up everything, and when I said 'go' to that, it crashed in the middle.

So, my procedure for this in the future will be to backup with Astro, copy via USB, then install with Open Manager.

Presto, thanks a ton, you opened the door for me, I was starting to consider learning how to compile from the dev kit. :eek:

Sorry I steered you wrong with the stock email app. I do indeed use K9 (much better). I used the stock email app on the Kindle and it worked so I wrongly assumed that Astro would work with the stock Admiral email client.

Last edited:

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
i am thinking of getting a Motorola PRO+ which i think is the same phone as the Admiral (same screen anyway).

Only thing making me hesitate is this resolution business. There does not seem to be that much disccusion about the issue, can i take it that this means that most apps work correctly?

Can someone give a rough estimate on how many app they have had issues with VS. the ones that work?

thanks a lot

The apps just don't appear in the market when you search for them. If you follow a link to a non compatible app, then the market description has a banner that States that the app is not compatible with your device. Then you have to find and sideload the apps. Most seem to work fine this way

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Most apps work fine.

I've only ever had one app that I cared about that I was not able to get via the market: Words with Friends.

Even that has a work-around for the slightly more advanced user. (downloading on another device and side-loading as described in this thread.)

Another alternative for Words with Friends is to download it from the Amazon Marketplace. Its a slightly older version but it shows up for the Admiral and works fine.

boggsie

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you happen to be looking for a particular *.apk file and don't have a tablet to pull it off of, we could consider setting up an online repository for sharing.

Best regards,
-boggsie

Sent from my Motorola Admiral on Sprint using Tapatalk

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Just want to say that yesterday I used the method that Presto posted in post #21 and it worked fine. I used ES File Explorer since I like that a little better than Astro and I emailed to my gmail acct and used the gmail app. When I opened the email on my Admiral it didn't even show a 'download' button, it showed an 'Install' button! Worked without a problem! I took Draw Something & PNC Bank apps from my wife's Vizio tablet. Then today I had to copy a newer version of Draw Something. That's probably the biggest drawback to this method, when an app is updated there is no way to update it on the Admiral. Have to copy the updated version over again.

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just want to say that yesterday I used the method that Presto posted in post #21 and it worked fine. I used ES File Explorer since I like that a little better than Astro and I emailed to my gmail acct and used the gmail app. When I opened the email on my Admiral it didn't even show a 'download' button, it showed an 'Install' button! Worked without a problem! I took Draw Something & PNC Bank apps from my wife's Vizio tablet. Then today I had to copy a newer version of Draw Something. That's probably the biggest drawback to this method, when an app is updated there is no way to update it on the Admiral. Have to copy the updated version over again.

Glad to hear it worked for you!

prolongExistence

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried with a Kindle Fire, G2, and 4g slide and the app is not compatible with ANY of them. Sorry. Might want to email the developer.

Well there's the problem! If you check it out in a computer browser, it is only compatible with Android 1.6 - 2.2. Guess your only hope is to find someone with an older device and see if they can download it & give it to you. Then you can cross your fingers & try to sideload it.

Reactions: preryan

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Reactions: notcalvin

notcalvin

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Presto, thanks, it's running now!

I was doing the install wrong and thought it wasn't working with my phone, so I was bummed and procrastinated on letting you know how it worked out.

BUT! I realized the right way to do it, and it's been working great for 3 whole minutes now... :^P

Anyway, much appreciated, this app is a meaningful improvement over the amdroid app I was using before, thanks a lot.

preryan

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Presto, thanks, it's running now!

I was doing the install wrong and thought it wasn't working with my phone, so I was bummed and procrastinated on letting you know how it worked out.

BUT! I realized the right way to do it, and it's been working great for 3 whole minutes now... :^P

Anyway, much appreciated, this app is a meaningful improvement over the amdroid app I was using before, thanks a lot.

Great! I am glad to hear it worked for you. Thanks for letting me know. I was curious.

ricci427

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
WORDS WITH FRIENDS....

This may be old news to everyone, but I got words with friends on the admiral by downloading it through the amazon app store !!!!