[How-To] Root your Backflip the easy way

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooting your Backflip while on the latest firmware is pretty darn easy. It can be done using an application you install on your phone, called z4root.

This application isn't available in the market, but thats a small hurdle and easy to overcome.
Then it's a few easy steps to root:
  1. On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
  2. Using either the SDK, or the Sideload Wonder Machine install the apk file to your phone.
  3. Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

Reactions: treadshred

ts599

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
okay but i think this is the last time in editing this.

THHAANNKKK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! i had to get a sideloader app but its working so far now.

Last edited:

mgsfoxhound2

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
im on motarola backflip 2.1 and where you said go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Its not there anymore, it was on 1.5 but i dont see it now.
just has quick launch,manage apps, running serv,development, and double tap home launch. is it somewhere els? thanks for the help

mgsfoxhound2

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
im on motarola backflip 2.1 and where you said go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Its not there anymore, it was on 1.5 but i dont see it now.
just has quick launch,manage apps, running serv,development, and double tap home launch. is it somewhere els? thanks for the help

gierbo

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
my backflip is in 2.1 and a box apears as son i try to instal de app. it said:security warning,this application comes from an unknown source,and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed.
please help me

biggs86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
i was also able to successfully transfer the application to my phone but received the security notification not allowing me to install the program. what is the solution?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I am trying to breathe some life into a friend's aging device and want to root, recovery and put CM7.2 on the Backflip without using ROM Manager, if possible. Currently it is on v1.6 stock. A couple of questions:

1. Would I need to update to v2.1 first? Over in the LG side, we have to worry about radios and basebands and stuff. I just want to make sure that the underguts, phone and data are going to work with CM7.2 if I just install from here.

2. What recovery should I go with and where do I get it? Can I just install it via 'flash_image recovery [RECOVERY-FILENAME]'?

3. Is this LDPI or MDPI for apps and theming?

EDIT: I found answers to the first two hidden away on the CM site.

Last edited:

niko0715

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. How did you solve that? Or did you find an answer for that? Pls reply. I badly need your help. Thank you!

niko0715

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. How did you solve that? Or did you find an answer for that? Pls reply. I badly need your help. Thank you!

teknovice

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
found this info useful
theres an app that restores the settings menu for the backflip to allow install of apps from unknown source
from market or google play:
Sideload Enabler for BACKFLIP by motorola

platiny

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I am trying to breathe some life into a friend's aging device and want to root, recovery and put CM7.2 on the Backflip without using ROM Manager, if possible. Currently it is on v1.6 stock. A couple of questions:

1. Would I need to update to v2.1 first? Over in the LG side, we have to worry about radios and basebands and stuff. I just want to make sure that the underguts, phone and data are going to work with CM7.2 if I just install from here.

2. What recovery should I go with and where do I get it? Can I just install it via 'flash_image recovery [RECOVERY-FILENAME]'?

3. Is this LDPI or MDPI for apps and theming?

EDIT: I found answers to the first two hidden away on the CM site.