Backflip with no data plan

piratekingdan

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi there guys. Long-time Android fan, first time posting.

A few weeks back someone abandoned a Motorola Backflip at my house after a party. We tried contacting the guy multiple times, but no response. He was in from out of town and apparently has no interest in getting his phone back.

I have a room mate who could really use an AT&T phone, as his ancient Nokia POS can't hold a charge anymore. But I'd rather his intro to Android not come from a locked-down Android 1.5 nightmare. Currently he's using an old unlocked G1 I've had sitting around, but I like using that for the sake of experiments.

He doesn't have a data plan, and data has apparently been locked out of his account, so it won't be getting used. So, here's my questions:

1. If we put his SIM card in, AT&T will be able to detect the smartphone. Will he get billed for data, even if he only uses it on WiFi?

2. What's a good, Google-equipped, de-Blurred ROM for stable daily use? (He's not tech savvy at all, so it needs to be pretty stable.)

Thanks in advance.

RoboWarrior

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
To answer your question att will automatically detect and charge for a 200 MN data plan. For the rom of it is cm6 it should be pretty stable anything else I would probably indoor using one of the methods mentioned in another forum.

Last edited: