2 Issues: Battery & My Contacts

Saintless

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from years of being on WinMo to the BackFlip. I am very excited about having an Android phone. But, I'm having two really major issues.

First, my battery only lasts about 2 hours. If I don't use it for ANYTHING, and make sure to kill all the tasks (Using Advanced Task Killer), it goes about 3 hours before the battery is dead. And it takes about 6 hours to charge all the way. In my Jeep, which has always charged my phones just fine, it doesn't even register as charging.

So, do I have a defective battery, or do I need to look further for a solution?

My second issue is even more of a problem. I have 2,300+ contacts in Gmail. I have about 300 of those set to "My Contacts". My phone is syncing with all of my contacts. I can filter the list by groups, however "My Contacts" isn't even one of those groups. I created a new group and added everything from "My Contacts" to the new group, so I can filter by that. But, when my phone rings, it usually doesn't figure out the contact name before the caller is sent to voicemail, so I'm only shown the phone number, and not the name.

I've seen suggestions to edit the groups that are synced, either through "Contacts" or "People", but those options don't seem to apply to this phone.

So - how is everyone else dealing with this? Is there another setting somewhere that I haven't found that would allow me to only sync with "My Contacts"? Or is there an application available that might give me this option?

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I can't answer the question about the contacts but it sounds like you have a defective phone. I had to return my first Backflip because it was killing the battery in 4 hours and it was getting really warm, even when I wasn't using it. I have not had this issue with the replacement.

One option you might consider on the contacts issue is to import the contacts you want to sync into your motoblur account and disable contact syncing with google. I don't know that this is a feasible solution as it would require you manually adding any new contacts to your google account any time you add something on the phone itself.

Saintless

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, naplesbill. I will consider returning the phone for a replacement. I figured that might be the problem.

As far as contacts go, anything that requires manual attention is going to be a last resort for me. It's not a deal-breaker for loving the phone, but it sure would disappoint me for that to be the only solution. Especially since people with other Android phones have an easy fix. I haven't yet done any Android development, but I guess if there's not an existing solution, that might have to be my first project!

naplesbill

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I understand your feelings on the contacts. I use a hosted exchange account for my personal email and I sync everything with that. The bonus I found is that my battery is now lasting nearly twice as long.