[How-To] Root your Bravo

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooting your Bravo while on the latest firmware is pretty darn easy. It can be done using an application you install on your phone, called z4root.

This application isn't available in the market, but thats a small hurdle and easy to overcome. All you need is a file browser, and your USB cable :)

File browser -- if you don't have one, I suggest Astro. There are many others, but Astro is very simple to use and I highly recommend it to those who might be new to the Android platform. Search for "Astro file manager" in the Android Market, and install it on your phone.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
  1. On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
  2. Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it :)
  3. Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
  4. Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
  5. Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
  6. Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

aggdroid

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I also used the superoneclick successfully a few weeks ago. Do you know if there are instructions on how to upgrade the os for the bravo? Not sure if i am correct, but we would need a costom rom for this phone specifically right?

Jared152

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Best way to root on Mac or Linux is through a terminal shell using ADB and z4 root.apk

Basically
.~/adb
./adb devices
./adb install <...../z4root.apk>

GO to phone use z4 root, click root. Rooted. Sideload all other apps the same way.

Eurus

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
[*]Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.

I don't see an option on my Bravo in menu>settings>applications for "unknown sources" I found the USB debugging where you said it would be but I can't find any kind of check box for "unknown sources" :confused:

Blake .l

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that the z4root method and the super onclick method will still root the device??? reason i ask ive been running across post that state they do not work on the device and you have to do the ADB method.

nix_for_me

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see an option on my Bravo in menu>settings>applications for "unknown sources" I found the USB debugging where you said it would be but I can't find any kind of check box for "unknown sources" :confused:

That makes two of us. And since I can't find it, I can't proceed since I can't get past the security warning: "This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed." :'(

danielkpol

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey there everyone I am very interested in rooting my bravo and am wondering if the z4root method works or will I need to do adb method? I have both Windows and Linux machines which route will be most "fail-proof"? Running 2.2.1

thecactusman

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Just tried Z4ROOT on Motorola Bravo with Froyo 2.2.2 & it failed after a message about setting up a shell. Display went to Drawer. What's the current best method for rooting this device? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci