03-26-2010 09:00 PM
35 12
tools
    um what was the rom
    03-09-2010 07:25 PM
    I too picked up this baby last week and here are my thoughts briefly:

The advantages of Devour are that MotoBlur social networking integration and a better keyboard. The disadvantage is the smaller screen and lower Android version (1.6). Because or MotoBlur you will be waiting a lot longer than the Droid for software upgrades though it will get 2.1 at some point when MotoBlur has been upgraded to support the new OS version. Because of the lower Android version some apps that are available on Droid wont be available on Devour. The two that come to mind that mattered to me are the Dolphin web browser and MySpace. Also you are limited to one Google/Gmail account on Android 1.6. The phone feels better in your hand than the droid and feels more durable to me. The backside of that is that you need to remove a plastic side panel to remove the battery or MicroSD card which is awkward. The lady at Best Buy was having problems when I bought the phone and I hat to tell her how to do it as I had already watched a YouTube video on it. Devour has a cool trackpad on it that the Droid does not. Devour is definitely a Verizon branded phone it has a lot of proprietary Verizon software installed (VCast Video, VCast Music, My Verizon-- this can be downloaded from the market for Droud -- VZNavigator. No VCast Song ID yet though). Boot screen has the Verizon logo where the Droid does not.

Now the advantages of the Droid are obvious but I'll restate the most important. It's running Android 2.0.1 with no extras like MotoBlur or SenseUI and will be getting Android 2.1 soon, most likely before any other current device gets the upgrade. More and more new apps are designed for the newest version of Android. The screen is larger and gorgeous. You would not think that there would be much difference between 3.1 and 3.7 but boy is there and you definitely notice it. Droid has a better camera as a 5 MP camera with flash (vs the Devour with a 3.2 and no flash). The battery and SD card are easy to remove as needed.

Both phones are solid in the hand and heavier and based upon my limited experience with Devour this far they seem to have similar battery life and cellular reception.

What one is better? that's really up to you....

I'm going to be fleshing this out in my Blog in the next couple days, if anyone wants a link they can PM me as I am not able to post links yet I don't think.
    03-10-2010 08:41 PM
    I work at BB in washington state, and i know we are getting a live verizon endcap with droid, eris, and devour on it. we dont have live versions of all of our phones, so it'll be cool to finally have that. The moto rep brought in some phones the other day (cliq xt) but i was playing with the devour then and its ok. the keyboard is really nice, and i like the remote sync and wipe feature of blur (if you lose your phone). anyway, i think when the droid goes back up to 199, that the devour will be a good alternative to people who dont want the eris.
    03-14-2010 04:37 AM
    Thank alot
    03-18-2010 09:30 AM
    I work at BB in washington state, and i know we are getting a live verizon endcap with droid, eris, and devour on it. we dont have live versions of all of our phones, so it'll be cool to finally have that. The moto rep brought in some phones the other day (cliq xt) but i was playing with the devour then and its ok. the keyboard is really nice, and i like the remote sync and wipe feature of blur (if you lose your phone). anyway, i think when the droid goes back up to 199, that the devour will be a good alternative to people who dont want the eris.
    The physical keyboard is indeed very nice, much better than the Droid, HOWEVER, the locations they put the various punctuation marks and symbols is maddening, completely different from the droid and other phones I have used ...:-(
    03-21-2010 01:24 AM
    How is the camera on this phone? My biggest problem is no flash on the camera, but if the pics come out decent I think I could overlook it. (not like im taking pics in a dark room anyway)
    03-25-2010 10:36 AM
    The camera is not great. It takes decent pictures for social media's needs, but when compared to the other phones out, it's not anything to brag about. I haven't had any big issues w/ the lack of flash however, it adjusts well enough to low light situations.
    03-25-2010 11:08 AM
    Sounds like a normal camera then for a phone. Most of the pics i would be taking will just be uploaded to facebook and such so I guess the quality would be fine. Thanks for the quick respone. Also, how is the screen size? I currently have a BB Storm and the screen is 3.2.
    03-25-2010 11:56 AM
    The screen is fine for me, but I'm a first time smartphone user. I've used my boyfriend's BB storm, and I can say, from my experience with that, that the Devour screen is big enough, and the browser/apps are so much easier to use. You should check it out though since all the techies are bashing the Devour's smaller screen size compared to the Droid.
    03-26-2010 12:03 AM
    very cool. I think I will be buying this next week!
    03-26-2010 09:00 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD