I just picked up my first Android phone... the Devour. It was a huge toss up between the Droid and the Devour, but for my needs and wants I think that the Devour will suit me just fine. It's charging right now but I'm looking forward to checking out everything new and exciting. There's a huge difference between playing with the store model and your own.

Was curious if any other Devour owners had any little hints/tips? I read somewhere (here probably) that it would be wise to do a backup since it's brand new. Makes sense to me... Would I just plug it into my computer and let the device work it's magic?
    04-15-2010 04:33 PM
    Congratulations!

I do not own a Devour and do not know any tips/tricks for it but it is exciting getting a new phone, isn't it? Cool!
    04-17-2010 08:36 PM
    Hey! I have a DEVOUR as well. What are you thinking of backing up? I guess I have failed to do any sort of back ups myself, but I don't know what I'd back up. I'd recommend downloading advanced task killer from the market.

- Also switch around your battery settings unless you will be carrying your charger with you all the time because the battery can get sucked down quickly. I keep my phone in battery saver mode.
    - Personalize your homescreens for easy access to the applications you use most.

I enjoy this phone immensely. The worst thing about it is the crap all the super techies give it on the blogs. It is what it is though, let me know if you come across anything cool or have any questions! We'll be getting a software update sometime this week, so make sure you check for updates daily!
    04-19-2010 12:22 PM
    Awesome! Thanks for the info... I'm loving my Devour and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.
    04-19-2010 06:24 PM
    My upgrade came last night at midnight. The phone seemed peppier afterward, but that may have just been the result of having just restarted it. I'll keep my eye out for any new improvements.
    04-20-2010 09:06 AM
    I got my son the Devour on Sunday he graduated up from a Dare he seem to really like the phone. I got the update this morning.
    04-20-2010 11:15 PM
    I got the update as well... Seems to have an improvement with speed and also responsiveness of the back, home, and menu touch buttons.

Any idea if there are any apps that are added to the marketplace because of this update? I was wanting to play around with Google Goggles but couldn't because of 1.6. I still don't see it in the marketplace tho. Was hoping this update would have been enough to run it. Still happy with the Devour tho. :-)
    04-21-2010 01:04 PM
    I just picked up my first Android phone... the Devour. It was a huge toss up between the Droid and the Devour, but for my needs and wants I think that the Devour will suit me just fine. It's charging right now but I'm looking forward to checking out everything new and exciting. There's a huge difference between playing with the store model and your own.

Was curious if any other Devour owners had any little hints/tips? I read somewhere (here probably) that it would be wise to do a backup since it's brand new. Makes sense to me... Would I just plug it into my computer and let the device work it's magic?
    THATS NO TOSS UP!!!!!!!!!! Droid is KILLING THE DEVOUR!
    05-09-2010 02:36 PM
    I myself just picked up a Devour, kinda was looking at the Droid but they only had the Devour in stock so I figured as a second device and a freebie I'd go for the Devour. My question is the same as the OP being what are some tips and tricks to this device and how do I backup the original OS before I put anything on it?
    05-30-2010 09:05 AM
    Wait wait... what?

You had a choice between a Droid and a Devour... and you choose the Devour?

Was the Droid nine hundred dollars more expensive? Did the Droid kick you in the shins or something? Did the Droid insult your parents?

If this is your first Android, cool. Welcome. Enjoy it, it is amazing compared to any phones that aren't upto Android. Have fun with it, there's tons to do and discover and you'll probably never see all the apps.

But a tip... if you have the choice between a Ford Model T and a Lamborghini Murcielago, you take the Lamborghini.
    06-27-2010 12:22 AM

There isn't much you can really back up on an Android device (just contacts, and your apps to the SD card) , and some individual apps let you back up the data, but by and large this isn't a BlackBerry where you can backup the database.

The good news is that ability will come with Froyo (Android 2.2) if the devour ever gets that...

Most of the tips and tricks you will find here about android devices in general also apply to the devour.

Hey! I have a DEVOUR as well. What are you thinking of backing up? I guess I have failed to do any sort of back ups myself, but I don't know what I'd back up. I'd recommend downloading advanced task killer from the market.

- Also switch around your battery settings unless you will be carrying your charger with you all the time because the battery can get sucked down quickly. I keep my phone in battery saver mode.
    - Personalize your homescreens for easy access to the applications you use most.

I enjoy this phone immensely. The worst thing about it is the crap all the super techies give it on the blogs. It is what it is though, let me know if you come across anything cool or have any questions! We'll be getting a software update sometime this week, so make sure you check for updates daily!
    While I agree with you that the device is under-rated (especially by Phil & Co) the devour really only has two things over other devices. 1 is the keyboard. It blows the Droid's out of the water, but the LG Ally's blows it out of the water! and 2. Motoblur accesses MySpace which the Sense devices (Droid Eris and Incredible) don't.

That being said, motoblur is buggy and crashes if you have too many things in it and routinely fails to post replies correctly if at all. You can't edit your retweets before posting and responding to a FB post posts a new post on the other person's wall instead of a reply.

It's also running an old version of Android so a lot of apps don't show up for it, and you can't use more than one Google account.

And yes the settings require a major tweaking to get any real battery life.

Wait wait... what?

You had a choice between a Droid and a Devour... and you choose the Devour?

Was the Droid nine hundred dollars more expensive? Did the Droid kick you in the shins or something? Did the Droid insult your parents?

If this is your first Android, cool. Welcome. Enjoy it, it is amazing compared to any phones that aren't upto Android. Have fun with it, there's tons to do and discover and you'll probably never see all the apps.

But a tip... if you have the choice between a Ford Model T and a Lamborghini Murcielago, you take the Lamborghini.
    Some people like the keyboard and smaller size better. Devour feels better in the hand than the Droid and the keyboard is a lot easier to type on.
    07-07-2010 01:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD