R2D2 Gingerbread is Out

Dimwitweasel

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine tried to update this morning, and has failed 4 times. It reboots, brings up the "Android updating" logo/icon thing with a progress bar, gets about 1/4 of the way across, the "box" icon switches to a "warning sign" and then the phone reboots. Upon rebooting, it pops up with "Update Failed" and life continues as if the update was never attempted.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am rooted, and I wonder if that has something to do with it...

I've factory-reset, cleared data and cache, and flashed an old nandroid backup via clockwork recovery, to no avail. Due to my having to root the phone to get to the bootloader, I do not have a nandroid backup from prior to my rooting the phone...

Thanks.

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Weasel, I too have been having the same problem. I've tried applying an old nandroid backup to just after rooting, removing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, unrooting and continue to see the same error you do. Of course, there's no SBF out there for the R2-D2 so we can't just SBF it like every other Droid 2 or D2G.

I'm about ready to take it into Verizon and see what they have to say.

Dimwitweasel

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Weasel, I too have been having the same problem. I've tried applying an old nandroid backup to just after rooting, removing Droid 2 Bootstrapper, unrooting and continue to see the same error you do. Of course, there's no SBF out there for the R2-D2 so we can't just SBF it like every other Droid 2 or D2G.

How did you go about unrooting your phone? I've looked for help, but I haven't found anything solid. Regrettably, I used an automated rageagainstthecage type script to root the phone in the first place, and I didn't take the time to pay attention to everything that it was doing.

Thanks

Zottig

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem... if you find a solution please post it. I'm frankly shocked the R2 got the update. My frustration is you can't get an R2 via warranty replacement and I am sure Verizon would be more than happy to sell me a new phone rather than help.

Ben

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
How did you go about unrooting your phone? I've looked for help, but I haven't found anything solid. Regrettably, I used an automated rageagainstthecage type script to root the phone in the first place, and I didn't take the time to pay attention to everything that it was doing.

I unrooted using z4root; it was what I had used to root it. Doesn't really matter though, I'm stuck in the same boat as you right now.

jdscax

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Have you talk to Verizon yet? it drive me crazy:mad:

jml00a

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Having the exact same problem. Was searching all over for a R2D2 sbf but none to be found online. Currently my system version is 2.4.5 A957 running android 2.2 (froyo). Any help on this would be great. Tried unrooting using z4 to unroot and that didn't help. Had my stock rom saved on my computer but that is now lost. Someone save me! :)

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Have you talk to Verizon yet? it drive me crazy:mad:

Going to stop by after work today, but I'm not terribly optimistic... I'll post the results later tonight.

If anyone had been rooted with clockwork installed and was able to get the update to install, please post what you had done to get the install to run. Thanks!

Dimwitweasel

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem... if you find a solution please post it. I'm frankly shocked the R2 got the update. My frustration is you can't get an R2 via warranty replacement and I am sure Verizon would be more than happy to sell me a new phone rather than help.

Ben

I had my R2 replaced via warranty back in July, they just had to mail me one. Have they stopped that with the release of the D3?

Also, on my last R2, I had installed the leaked gingerbread ROM from before it was even released on the D2, and it broke the free wireless-tether app by integrating Verizon's tether into the OS. Can anyone confirm whether this OTA update breaks that?

Thanks

Zottig

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is they no longer replace it with an R2D2 and go instead with a D2 Global.

I am sure the issue could easily be fixed if there were an SBF floating around out there. Heck if someone could do a nandroid backup of the phone after it's been upgraded... that'd even be helpful for people who can't get the update to take.

Ben

bigdav1178

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Heck if someone could do a nandroid backup of the phone after it's been upgraded... that'd even be helpful for people who can't get the update to take.

If I ever get the update to complete, that is what I planned to do first thing (assuming we can get CWM running on R2D2 Gingerbread; saw they just got it running on the Droid 3 this morning).

anon(485744)

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

Ben

Ben you can get a warranty replacement. I'm waiting on one right now. My R2-D2 is having the update fail so I went to the local Verizon company store. Of course they had to try to update it again by doing a cold reset it and remove the battery before downloading the update. It failed for the too. So they are shipping me out a refurbished phone.

This will be my 5th R2-D2 Droid 2 phone. My first one the screen just failed, the refurbished unit they sent out after a few hours the screen became 1/4 good and 3/4 interleaved, the refurbished unit they replaced it with had the camera fail after a couple of months and the latest refurbished unit has the gingerbread software update failing. Anyone else have this many problems?

Rinsterber

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if it has to do with removing some of the garbage they put on the phone. I have the stock ROM but remember one of the first things I did was delete NFS...I think this may have something to do with my problem but not sure. Trying to download and reinstall the .apk now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress