upgrading a droid2

anon(636465)

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, gotta apologize right off the batt as I'm new to the android OS completely. I'm a die-hard blackberry fanboy, and frequent crackberry.com. I figured this was the best place to come to learn how to do what I want on this android phone I bought for my girlfriend.

It is a droid2 (verizon) and has OS 2.2. From what I'm reading off here, the newest OS for this device is the 2.3 gingerbread or something like that. My question is how can I acquire the 2.3 files and update this phone without having it activated first? (no OTA)

I'm very familiar with upgrading/downgrading operating systems with blackberry. Just trying to learn the process with android.

1. What software do I need (for blackberry I use jvm loader or Desktop Manager)
2. Where can I acquire the actual OS that I need? (Straight from verizon seems to be a bust, can't figure out how)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt you can get the OTA GB without activating.

And there is no software needed if your going to keep it stock, its all automated unlike your beloved BB ;p

anon(636465)

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
lol what are you talking about?

I'm referring to the software used to preform backups onto a PC, which I'm assuming can also be used to alter the OS.

Also, I don't want to OTA it, I want to do it manually.

My BB is amazing, I just can't afford another BB for my gf at this time. The droid was cheap :p

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You don't make backups on a pc on Android...it syncs with your Google account automatically. You can only make backups aka Nandroids unless you root.

OTA is the only way to get the update, as for your BB being amazing I won't even touch on that subject :p

anon(636465)

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
lol well I appreciate the information. Very disappointed at the lack of options though :-\

but hey, I don't dislike android. it would be my second choice. As long as you don't like Apple, you're a friend of mine :)