Official: Post Droid 2 questions, get answers

viperlmw

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Update for the R2D2

Any idea whether the R2D2 will be getting the 2.3.20 update? Not that I'm complaining, as everything seems to work very well. In fact, it's been running like a champ, able to get 48 hours with some use (I use Slacker a couple hours a day), no reboots, no force closes, nothing. However, updates can be fun.

Thanks

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
New droid2 owner......first android device.

I was trying to figure if there is any way to get the hard keys to control the media player.....this is the main(only?)thing I am missing coming from a blackberry.

On this phone it would be great if I could use the volume keys and the lock or camera button to pause play and skip songs.......on my old phone press and hold one volume rocker would skip while tapping would change volume .....anyway to get this functionality? Seems the only way to safely control music while driving......I can't be fumbling around trying to find touchscreen controls safely.

I am still working on this...I got the app to turn off the lock and the music player that has gesture controls....

Another thing I was wondering...is there a simple way to shut off your network connection? I currently have to turn on airplane mode which is annoying because it kills my Bluetooth connection as well....I can turn it back on, but it's annoying. I often go in to no service areas during work where I want to shut off my connection to save battery but still want to listen to music.....

Last edited:

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
New droid2 owner......first android device.

I was trying to figure if there is any way to get the hard keys to control the media player.....this is the main(only?)thing I am missing coming from a blackberry.

On this phone it would be great if I could use the volume keys and the lock or camera button to pause play and skip songs.......on my old phone press and hold one volume rocker would skip while tapping would change volume .....anyway to get this functionality? Seems the only way to safely control music while driving......I can't be fumbling around trying to find touchscreen controls safely.

I am still working on this...I got the app to turn off the lock and the music player that has gesture controls....

Another thing I was wondering...is there a simple way to shut off your network connection? I currently have to turn on airplane mode which is annoying because it kills my Bluetooth connection as well....I can turn it back on, but it's annoying. I often go in to no service areas during work where I want to shut off my connection to save battery but still want to listen to music.....

No, no hardware keys possible but you can put widgets on your homescreen to control your media player. Download the doubletwist app. It's a great media player and you can put a widget on your homescreen to have the basic control buttons.

Also, pandora has a widget to control the basic functions. Separate from the pandora widget is the pandora folder. (Longpress on homescreen> folders> my stations) When you press the pandora folder a list of your stations pop up and you can pick one and it starts playing without you ever leaving your homescreen.

Rubeyroo

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Key pad disappears during call, can't hang up

Just got my Droid 2 G (they were out of 2's at Best Buy this morning) and whenever I make a call, once the call is placed the key pad disappears and the screen sleeps unless I pull down the keyboard or hit the power button. Any suggestions? I can return it but hoping for a work around. I did a reboot and battery eject and reboot, but alas it still remains. Thanks!

Rubeyroo

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Just got my Droid 2 G (they were out of 2's at Best Buy this morning) and whenever I make a call, once the call is placed the key pad disappears and the screen sleeps unless I pull down the keyboard or hit the power button. Any suggestions? I can return it but hoping for a work around. I did a reboot and battery eject and reboot, but alas it still remains. Thanks!
ok took the phone back and the screen protector was designed for the droid 2 not the droid 2 global which has the proximity sensors in different places...thus the cover was covering them and it jacked it up. all good

Kimo91

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if there's a way to use customized ringtones for text messages, email and calender alerts? Thanks in advance oh and brand spanking new Droid 2 user/owner

_alphaBeta_

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Give this a try:
Settings -> Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Data enabled (uncheck). This takes the 3G connection down, which I think is what you're looking for.

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Give this a try:
Settings -> Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Data enabled (uncheck). This takes the 3G connection down, which I think is what you're looking for.

Thanks, but not what I was looking for.

I want to turn off data and Voice.....basically airplane mode, but I don't want it to shut off Bluetooth (or Wi-FI really, but it's mostly BT that's annoying.)

I have 2 questions....when I press shift-ALt_delete and reboot my phone is that a soft reset or is it equivalent to physically pulling out the batter?

Also, I have been having sound quality issues when listening with A2DP...does anyone else have issues? Basically its little sound hiccups, which I know are not interference....very annoying. My motorala S9HD work better with my Blackberry Storm than with my Motorola Droid 2. I am wondering if I should exchange my phone.

So it turns out it is my phone regarding the A2DP issue....paired my headphones with my wifes Droid2 and it worked much better. I am getting a replacement phone shipped to me......

Also am I cool because I have met Sanjay Jha in person before?:p

How Sanjay Jha Overhauled Motorola's Culture - NYTimes.com

Last edited:

TSX05

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
ok, I have a friend who just got a droid 2 and a friend of hers was messing with her phone last night and moved the launcher icons to the right side of her home screen. How can we move them back to the bottom? and also now her application icons are small when looking at the icons in the page mode that you would usually scroll. any help would be appreciated.

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ok, I have a friend who just got a droid 2 and a friend of hers was messing with her phone last night and moved the launcher icons to the right side of her home screen. How can we move them back to the bottom? and also now her application icons are small when looking at the icons in the page mode that you would usually scroll. any help would be appreciated.
You can move icons around by long pressing them....touch and hold on the icon, then drag it to where you want it.

Is that what you mean?

TSX05

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
yeah we tried that it didn't work. basically her three launch icons that are usually at the bottom. the little guy, the arrow and the browser i think just mistoursly went from the bottom of the screent to the right side and stayed there

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
[QdUOTE=Flyers1121;450703]yeah we tried that it didn't work. basically her three launch icons that are usually at the bottom. the little guy, the arrow and the browser i think just mistoursly went from the bottom of the screent to the right side and stayed there[/QUOTE]

FYI I had the same thing happen and had to shut down the phone and pull the battery. I was using the camera on mine when it happened. After rebooting it was fine.

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah we tried that it didn't work. basically her three launch icons that are usually at the bottom. the little guy, the arrow and the browser i think just mistoursly went from the bottom of the screent to the right side and stayed there

So it's stuck in landscape....if slide open and shut the keyboard doesn't fix it the suggested battery pull might.

Never had that happen......

Simple way to reset is to press alt-shift-delet on the keyboard.....easier than pulling the battery.

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Got a replacement Droid 2 and my A2DP audio is working infinitely better.:D

I have had an issue that has occurred on my defective Droid and the new one I just got where the music on my SD card shows up, but whatever I try to play it it tells me something like it's an unsupported file type or some nonsense.

I do a shift-alt-delete reset and all my music plays fine after reboot.

I am wondering if Pandora is causing this somehow.

Anyone else have this type of issue or know how to avoid it?

Maybe I'll see if this happens with the stock SD card as I am using a 16GB....

_alphaBeta_

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
AWESOME! Thanks, it does....I am going to test it out right now....

SWEET...its working perfectly so far.
Glad it's working for you.

I'll pose a question: Do I have to proactively update google maps and other core applications, or do they come with system updates?

Google's website says the following:
Tap Maps on the home screen. Search for "Google Maps" in Android Market to update.
Not sure how this would work since maps doesn't show as an installed app from the market's perspective, so it doesn't look like it would update it. Will I wind up with two maps applications on the phone?

On a related question, how are road changes handled? Do I need to install a newer version of maps & navigator, or are fresh maps and navigation data always pulled to the phone from google?

blaisedinsd

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know you can update maps, flash, and other apps in the market....they won't give you 2 installs.

I would think that a system update might update these versions as well.

The maps come from google over your data connection....so they are google maps. Not sure how often google updates their maps, but we should always get the latest version that google has.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The on screen TOUCH Keyboards & physical Keyboard: Currently when I hold down a key (long hover) the alt characters that pop up (umlauts etc), Is there anyway to make CAPITALS of the standard letters pop up instead?

I'm lazy and want to save keystrokes and don't have any use for the alt characters ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki