Droid 2 WiFi Problem

brgreene

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the switch from the BlackBerry Tour to the Droid 2 today. I am extremely happy with the phone except for a problem with the WiFi.

If I turn on the WiFi. It cuts on and off continuously. I must power the phone off and then back on to get WiFi to stay on. Now if the WiFi is on I can cut it off without a problem.

Is this a problem with a setting or do I have a defective phone?

Thanks,

Brian

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
No, I don't think it's that. I just had the exact same thing happen to me. On/off/on/off, about every second or two, non stop. Can't do anything but shut the phone off to stop it. Not a huge problem, as it's only happened once, but I'd love to know what the cause is and how to fix it.

Edit: Ok. It does it every time I turn the wifi on now. Dunno.

Edit 2: Ok, weirdness. If you go into Wi-Fi settings, and turn Wifi on from there, it does the same thing as if you use the widget or the normal wifi on/off in settings.................however if you hit it again in the middle of its epileptic convulsions, it says scanning and then connects. It ONLY works from the Wifi Settings menu. Doesn't work from the widget or the regular wifi toggle in settings.

Last edited:

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
VZW phone rep told me to return mine to the store for a new in the box droid 2. Bought it online. He even called my local store to check stock. Good there. Return your phone. We both got bad phones.

karnovaran

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I seem to have no problem activating and deactivating Wifi from the Wifi Settings area. So it's only the widgets that give me problems, which should be fixable.

bworley50

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Same problem with the new phone

Same problem with the new phone. I don't know that
much about routers. I have one. My Droids Eris, Incredible, and X have NOT done this. Somebody tell me how to fix this, please.

blulite

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Same problem with me. I went into my router and change channel from Auto to 7 (auto set it at 6). All my neighbors are on 6, but other devices don't seem to care. The D2 wifi is rock solid now.

jb31

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I had the same exact problem. I tryed everything everyone mentioned with no success. My issues was directly related to the "encryption type" my router was using. I originally set my router to use wpa / wpa2 per. security mode and using "AES" as the encryption type. I did this becasue it is suppose to me more secure then the alternative "TKIP". Anyways, as soon as I re-configured my router to use "TKIP" as the encryption type all of my dropped signal problems were no more. Keep in mind I set everything else to mirror the suggestions from people on this forum. example: channel 7, etc ... so read through this whole forum and your issues should be taken care of.

billybob123

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
My droid 2 also is having problems with WiFi. It turns on and off repeatedly if the router is using N. When the router (DLink DIR-615) is set to "G only" I can connect. "G or N" does not work. So its great that I can connect to my home network with very specific settings, but not being able to use WiFi anywhere the router is broadcasting an n signal is not ok.

Droid X people have been having similar WiFi-N problems since that phone came out, too, and these phones are nearly identical inside.

Also, heard from verizon tech support by email, the guy claimed the Droid 2 only supports b/g. Um, huh?

brgreene

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Problems cleared up

Since I started this thread my WiFi problems have cleared up. The more I used WiFi the less it would cut on and off before it would finally connect. Over the last few days I have not experienced the problem at all. It does not matter if I turn WiFi on with the Widget or from the settings menu.

I have tried the WiFi on two different routers. At home I am using a DLink "N" router with G and N enabled. At work we have a Linksys "N" router with both G and N enabled.

I hope the problem clears for everyone else.

Brian

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2