tehtering for free????

OlSarge

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
so i had a d1 rooted and running BB but now moved on to d2 and was wondering how to thether with out a root? I know we can pay big red but really who want to do that...any suggestions?

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Download pdanet from the market. It's free but you need to connect with computer thru your usb data cable. You don't even need to root. Unfortunately, this won't work if you're trying to tether your ipad or ipod touch.

Denise23

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Question - if you use the programs instead of paying our lovely phone company, can they still nail you with data charges unless you have an unlimited data plan?

G

GenericMessage

Question - if you use the programs instead of paying our lovely phone company, can they still nail you with data charges unless you have an unlimited data plan?

Ding ding ding!

We have a winner!

But that event is HIGHLY unlikely!

I've never had an instance where they nailed me with anything.

Just be mindful of how much data you're using, and you'll be fine.

G

GenericMessage

Can you even get a Droid 2 without an "unlimited" data plan?

Two different things.

Data on your phone (pandora, checking your apps, whatev):

Unlimited

Tethering your phone (surfing the web on a DIFFERENT device via the connect of the phone):

Extra fee's

Two different services offered by verizon

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Two different things.

Unlimited

Tethering your phone (surfing the web on a DIFFERENT device via the connect of the phone):

Extra fee's

That's clear as mud. I know about unlimited data for the phone, and I know about tethering. I didn't think that there was an option for any other phone data plan with Verizon other than "unlimited." And if you must get an "unlimited" data plan with the purchase of the phone then you shouldn't have to worry about extra fees for tethered data UNLESS you are stupid enough to pay Verizon's tethering fee to unlock their tethering app. If you use some other tethering app you should be in the clear because Verizon can't tell that a device is tethered and using data. To them it just looks like data going to the phone.

daThomas#AC

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Two different things.

Unlimited

Extra fee's

As has been mentioned several times, using a program like PdaNet allows you to tether to a device and surf with that device using the phone's unlimited data and the carrier cannot discern any difference.

kingzee

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So if you can legally download Tether Pro from the market and use it, there is nothing VZW can say right? It ought not be available to us in the market if it can't be used. Correct?

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
So if you can legally download Tether Pro from the market and use it, there is nothing VZW can say right? It ought not be available to us in the market if it can't be used. Correct?

We don't want vzw to police the google market and free tethering apps are a violation of your vzw contract.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
We don't want vzw to police the google market and free tethering apps are a violation of your vzw contract.

That is: using the app is a violation of the vzw contract you agreed to. Nothing to do with being legal.

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This reminds me of the early days of cable modems when cable companies tried to charge you for data per computer. They would even tie their data service to a Mac Address. Well, router manufacturers eventually created a feature called Mac address clone. Everyone started connecting more than one pc and eventually the cable carriers gave up and just charged for the connection. IMO bandwidth is bandwidth. How you use it should not matter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

G

GenericMessage

That's clear as mud. I know about unlimited data for the phone, and I know about tethering. I didn't think that there was an option for any other phone data plan with Verizon other than "unlimited." And if you must get an "unlimited" data plan with the purchase of the phone then you shouldn't have to worry about extra fees for tethered data UNLESS you are stupid enough to pay Verizon's tethering fee to unlock their tethering app. If you use some other tethering app you should be in the clear because Verizon can't tell that a device is tethered and using data. To them it just looks like data going to the phone.

VZW monitors your data usage. If you use more than they think a typical consumer uses they can charge you or terminate your contract if they so feel. That clear enough?

Sometimes I look at this forum on my phone, this is one of those times

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I was able to tether via Bluetooth on Ubuntu 10.04 with no additional apps. It only works over G3 though, it will not connect if the phone is on WiFi. I was getting speeds of +/- 500 kbps. I will try it with a Windows machine tonight.

EDIT: Bluetooth tethering on a Windows 7 machine also works very well.

Last edited:

tlfloyd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunate?

Unfortunately Barnacle requires root access...

"Unfortunately?" Rooting my Droid2 was the coolest thing I've done so far! Granted, it took three or four tries, but once I finally got the DoRoot 1-click root method to work, I've been a happy user, though I don't use Barnacle to tether.:D

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'll step on my soap box for a bit:

Think of tethering without buying that feature from Verizon just like shop lifting. Yes! Shop Lifting or Petty Theft.

It happens, its easy to get away with, and in the end, the added costs are passed along to the end user. Bandwidth IS a commodity.

You can argue all you want that you have unlimited data, and you should be able to use it how you want. But! read your contract. You should pay for that feature if you use it!!!

The odds are that you will never get caught. That doesn't make it right.