12-21-2010 12:52 PM
45 12
tools
    LOL, true. More a sign of the fact that Motorola tends to use larger batteries than does HTC. I think HTC tries to do things cheaper than Motorola does.
    08-22-2010 10:18 PM
    Since my last post i'm now posting this from my droid 2 and I'm at 15%. I'm now over 12hrs and 35 minutes and man when this is broken in...i gotta admit that by the day it gets better at hanging in there through heavy use....I've been doing heavy use for the past 2 hrs and it's not at 10% yet which is when i stop screwing around and charge it. If I can get a day's use out of a phone which since humans sleep lol...is only 12 to 15 hrs or so in between charge with common demand for use...I'm happy with that and by the day it seems to get more stubborn with losing charge which is great.

And like I said...whenever I get that extended battery..since I'm happy with 12-15 hours...I suspect at the minimum, it will give me an extra boost and edge which to me will be the icing on the cake
    08-22-2010 11:37 PM
    I had a DINC and switched to a Droid 2. The battery life on the D2 wipes the floor compared to DINC. I can easily last all day on a single charge and that is with heavy usage-
    08-23-2010 11:47 AM
    HTC at least in my opinion is notorious for under powering their phones in respect to the batteries they choose. Even the Droid 1 has a bigger battery pre-installed than the DINC.
    08-23-2010 12:02 PM
    I've gotten fewer text and e-mails today than I normally do, I haven't been wasting time on Twitter, and my screen has about a hour and 8 minutes of activity. This is what I would consider "light usage," and as of right now, my phone is at 70% with 12 hours and 2 minutes of uptime.

That's not too bad, I guess.
    08-23-2010 02:12 PM
    I got the droid 2 around a week ago and up untill last nights charge I would need to charge my phone at least twice a day. Today however I took it out of the charger at 10 a.m. Its now 6:30 p.m. and the phones at 70 percent. I texted on it used the browser and I have wi fi and gps off unless I need it. It might be just me but try waiting it out and conditioning the battery.
    08-23-2010 05:31 PM
    I just finished a 1 hour voice call via bluetooth. My uptime is 15 hours and 40 minutes. My battery is at 50%.

I haven't used a task killer since owning a G1 last summer, I'm not using juice defender, I have 3 gmail accounts-2 that are tame, one that is fairly busy. I'm using Launcher Pro, and Weather Bug Elite which updates every 2 hours. I have the Official Facebook app installed which updates every 4 hours, GPS and location are turned ON-as they only use your battery when they're activated. I'm pretty much just using the phone. Tweaks are unnecessary.

If your reports differ greatly from mine, then either you:
    1. have a defective phone or battery, or both.
    2. have badly written apps installed on your phone
    3. are lying.
    08-23-2010 05:52 PM
    I just finished a 1 hour voice call via bluetooth. My uptime is 15 hours and 40 minutes. My battery is at 50%.

I haven't used a task killer since owning a G1 last summer, I'm not using juice defender, I have 3 gmail accounts-2 that are tame, one that is fairly busy. I'm using Launcher Pro, and Weather Bug Elite which updates every 2 hours. I have the Official Facebook app installed which updates every 4 hours, GPS and location are turned ON-as they only use your battery when they're activated. I'm pretty much just using the phone. Tweaks are unnecessary.

If your reports differ greatly from mine, then either you:
    1. have a defective phone or battery, or both.
    2. have badly written apps installed on your phone
    3. are lying.
    Mine's around the same, I'm nearing 16 hour (15 hr, 55 min) and I am at 50%. Still plan on getting an extended battery at some point though...I'm lusting after that extra edge. First though I'm going to get a green, argyle cover
    08-23-2010 06:09 PM
    I'm considering it. but I'm leaning more in the direction of just getting a spare OEM battery since they have several accessories for charging them separately.
    08-23-2010 06:56 PM
    Totally agree with dbdynsty25...the first 2 days were awful when it comes to battery life (lasted 3 - 5 hours, but i was on it basically the entire time). Then day 3 came and my phone was optimized the way i needed to use it (2 email accounts with moderate use, few widgets and blutooth and gps only when necessary) and it now lasts up to a full day. I also just got the Motorolla extended battery so im trying that out now. Looking to have more than 30% when im done for the day just to be safe. Hope this helps! otherwise LOVE THE PHONE!
    08-24-2010 12:20 PM
    Hmm.. so it looks like the battery needs to be 'trained'? I thought lithium ions didn't have anything like that..

Mysteriously though, my battery life DOES seem to be improving since my last horror reports. Right as I receive a replacement phone. Ugh. Now I have to decide whether to stay with the replacement or keep 'training' the first one.
    08-24-2010 04:41 PM
    I just got mine today and wow, does the battery suck. However, reading this thread gives me hope that things may improve over the next few days. I guess I'll start praying...
    08-24-2010 10:07 PM
    Totally agree with dbdynsty25...the first 2 days were awful when it comes to battery life (lasted 3 - 5 hours, but i was on it basically the entire time). Then day 3 came and my phone was optimized the way i needed to use it (2 email accounts with moderate use, few widgets and blutooth and gps only when necessary) and it now lasts up to a full day. I also just got the Motorolla extended battery so im trying that out now. Looking to have more than 30% when im done for the day just to be safe. Hope this helps! otherwise LOVE THE PHONE!
    With the extended battery...do you have any rubber covers or a hard cover or both that maybe you can report back about? I basically want to know if it inhibits being able to snap on a hard cover to the back or makes a rubber cover look lumpy? I've heard people say that the battery cover when used on Droid 2 is pretty incognito but now I can ask someone who actually has one.
    08-25-2010 12:24 PM
    Ok - I think I figured out the battery problem on my Droid. I was having problems like everyone else - 3-5 hour battery life, 8-9 hours if it just sat unplugged overnight 'doing nothing', etc. I have push enabled for two email accounts - google and corporate email - and a twitter and facebook account loaded.

I went to Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery > Motorola Applications and checked the box "Sync over WiFi only" (sets social networking applications to only sync when connected to a wireless network).

Before when I'd go to the battery use summary, I'd see the Motorola applications would have eaten 30% or more of the used battery life. Now I see it use 4%. Not sure how long the battery will last now, but I'm sure it will be substantially better.

This is a good compromise for those who need to have push email but also need to extend their battery life as much as possible.
    08-26-2010 09:50 AM
    I have the standard black hard cover (the one that has the little bump on the back of it) which seems to have been made with this battery in mind because it is perfect for it. That is the only case i could find in the stores so thats all i have tried so far and it works. The extended battery and battery cover that you use with it are very slim and barely widen the phone at all. Its honestly about 2mm worth of extra "bulk". Great battery, giving me at least 3 - 5 more hours per charge.
    08-26-2010 11:18 AM
    My battery life has been great so far...if you want bad battery life try the incredible...i did and couldnt take it anymore. had to carry a charger with me at all times. Im much happier with the droid 2
    08-26-2010 03:00 PM
    My battery life was 6 hours of mostly passive use. I had e-mail push corporate, no social networking. My son's performed significantly better, at least twice as long under heavier use. I think the unit is defective, it also had touch screen issues.
    12-17-2010 03:42 PM
    My battery life has been great so far...if you want bad battery life try the incredible...i did and couldnt take it anymore. had to carry a charger with me at all times. Im much happier with the droid 2
    Every HTC phone I have owned has had horrible battery life.
    12-20-2010 08:41 PM
    My battery life was 6 hours of mostly passive use. I had e-mail push corporate, no social networking. My son's performed significantly better, at least twice as long under heavier use. I think the unit is defective, it also had touch screen issues.
    I have about the same battery life as you do. I'm pretty sure I have a defective D2G because the upper part of the phone (where the radio and camera are located) gets blazingly hot, seemingly at random, but it also happens when I charge it.

Luckily I'm within my 30 days so I'm going to exchange it. This is my fourth Droid phone, and none of the others have done this.
    12-21-2010 11:59 AM
    I switched from an iPhone 3G to a Droid 2 Global. The battery life on the D2G is notably worse in comparison, but not so bad that the phone is unusable to me. I get anywhere from 6 to 12 hours on a full charge depending on how much I use it, which isn't bad considering all that's going on in the background.

Folks complaining about the battery life should remember that these devices are far more complex than past phones that did little more than calls and texts, and unfortunately, battery life is a necessary trade-off for added functionality. The D2G to me is pretty much a mini-computer in my pocket. How many among us can say their laptop battery lasts more than a day unplugged?
    12-21-2010 12:52 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD