Droid 2 Battery Life

x N O 4 H

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Is the Droid 2's battery life really that bad or as bad as I've read it to be? Is the Droid X's any better? I have an update coming up and im trying to do my research before I decide which phone to get.

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
My Droid 2 battery life is great, I get a day and a half of medium to heavy usage out of it no problem. My phones been unplugged for twelve hours and I'm still at about 60% battery.

flylikeag6

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
bad battery life here. less than 4 hours on my first full charge. i'm trying some different stuff to fix it right now including a full factory reset.. will update

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Im sorry to hear that, mine lasted all day after it first battery charge. I leave data and sync on all the time as well. If I turn them off im sure I could probably go two days.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My droid gets okay battery life. Usually about to 12 to 14 hours depending how much I use it. It gets a lot better battery life than my DINC does.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
The first three or four charges are really poor then it starts evening out and lasting as long as any other Android phone out there. I haven't found one better (and I've had every phone on Verizon). They all will last around 14 hours with medium use from my experience.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The first three or four charges are really poor then it starts evening out and lasting as long as any other Android phone out there. I haven't found one better (and I've had every phone on Verizon). They all will last around 14 hours with medium use from my experience.

I think I'm getting better battery performance on the D2, than I did on the Incredible, and that is using it pretty much the same way as I did the Incredible.

But, I think that is because overall HTC tends to use smaller batteries in their phones than what they should be using.

flylikeag6

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
for those of you with good battery life, was it excellent out of the box, or did you have to wait a few charge/recharge cycles until it got that way?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
for those of you with good battery life, was it excellent out of the box, or did you have to wait a few charge/recharge cycles until it got that way?

Generally speaking, in my experience, the battery has to be conditioned. What I have found to work well for me is for the first several uses, I use the battery up, plug the phone, let it charge completely while it is powered off. After the first several times doing that I find the battery tends to perform better.

CoffeeBreak

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It's becoming more decent for me, regardless of what the batt meter says out of the box...i doubt it's at 100% till first time you charge it so no...also keep in mind that out of the box the droid has all of its bells and whistles automatically on. The answer, I'd have to say is that the more you use it, the better it gets till it reaches its full potential (and stays there) just like any phone I experienced.

My last phone before I got my Droid 2 just recently (Aug 18) I had a different Motorola model phone, the Rokr E8 which although is a tame smartphone and can't do a smidge of what Droids can, it also improved over time.

With phones like this...keep in mind that new technology has to be developed in order to keep up with the times. In the meantime, until new battery developments are introduced, you should expect 15 hours to 1 full day out of your Androids at the least, any other improvment may indeed contradict that time frame after frequent use and recharging which only makes it better.

I'll tell you my experience from yesterday. I got my phone the 18th, you use the hell out of it the first time u get it, not just usage but you have all of the factory bells and whistles going in the background an you're constantly trying out different settings and pushing it to the limit...plus it's not broken in. I know some people disagree that ion lithiums don't need to or can't be improved through being "broken in" but every phone i have simply HAS, it just evens out.

Anyway I noticed that after a good 8 hours of constant use on my Droid 2 it was at the 30% warning mark (which it can still last sometime longer before its done obviously) so i considered this was due to it being new and unbroken/plus my "new phone excitement" and constant use of all different features for hours straight. Not only this but needless things running in the background.

So I did this: set brightness to auto adjust or to a fixed brightness of your liking...anything around 60% or under is plenty high quality. I turned off wifi obviously unless i need it, you can only use one at a time anyway since they provide web access so no need to leave useless stuff on..with your droid's built in option of adding a power panel widget...one tap can turn off and on services when you need them..no inconvienent at all. Same thing for bluetooth and gps..tap em when you need them from the panel. The main batt sucking change I made was getting rid of any widget that needs constant update checking...to me its just useless, it takes one tap on a gmail app. Facebook app, or news/weather app to get what you want. Widgets that dont suck battery are ones that simply mirror things like...calender reminders, sticky notes and clock widgets with the date displayed so you don't have to use your lock screen just to see the date. I also leave google's voice/net quick search widget panel up cause again...it's a tool and not a second by second batt sucking updater.

I also did the PRL tower update which is recommended monthly since it helps your phone to know where it can find and when to stop searching for the location it's getting its signal. Also check to see if there are any Android phone updates by going to "about phone", besides the 2.2.20 recent update..I'm sure they know people are complaining of a little battery sucking and the phone is brand spanking new so I expect improvments in the future to help the phones deal with prior problems. I also let my battery recalibrate so it reads actual juice level properly by letting my phone die all the way, then charged in to 100%...before people say how bad this is, That information is false..a safety mechanism kicks in and shuts the batt off before true 0% batt level (so it probably shuts phone/battery off at about 5%) not to mention my rokr e8 batt died countless times before getting to a chargerall throughout my 2 yr contract with T-mobile so battery damage rumors in today's time is bull****...they have to let you be in a situation where your phone dies because that's life with a phone: you're out and you don't always have access to a charger. Damage to a battery can come probably only if its defective to start with or if you let it sit for a long time after your phone dies..because then i assume long periods of time slowly drain remaining power gradually and naturally.

Anyway...after all of that...yesterday I took my phone off the charger at 6am and it died a little after 11pm. Pretty happy with that...and i expect between android updates and constant use and charge...it will stretch itself more, especially after reading some of the times people posted on this thread before me being as high as a day and a half which is usual for even kick around phones that are used a normal amount. And hell..if with aim messaging, web browsing, email, youtubing and downloading apps etc can still let my phone get to 17 hours..I gotta say, pretty decent to have a 15 to 17 hour window after these tweaks...i mean that gives you plenty of time to find a charger in some form. I dont have a car charger but i have a portable usb batt i used to use for my old phone which also holds a charge till you flip the phone switch and plug it in.

That's my experience with it so far, and like I said..i expect strength improvements in one form or another to come with time. Especially since some of you have posted day and a half uses with running more than I with a brand new phone I've had jus shy of half a week.

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site

To be honest I can't remember, the battery life is so much better than my palm pre and htc evo out of the box that it didn't bother me. I'v had my phone unplugged 9 hours as of now and it's reading 70% which is outstanding for a smartphone that does so much. I think anyone who is complaining about battery life on this phone is either nuts or is using their phone way to much.

flylikeag6

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I can't remember, the battery life is so much better than my palm pre and htc evo out of the box that it didn't bother me. I'v had my phone unplugged 9 hours as of now and it's reading 70% which is outstanding for a smartphone that does so much. I think anyone who is complaining about battery life on this phone is either nuts or is using their phone way to much.

Definitely not nuts. My phone lasted about 4 hours today. Took it off the charger at 11 AM, it was dead by 3 PM. I used a bit of web browsing, did a bit of calling/texting. Completely stock apps and configuration. No GPS or crazy stuff (trust me, I've checked many times).

Yeah, batteries might need a bit of 'warming up' but this is unacceptable and this point I'm just done wasting my time on this damn thing. Even if it improves after recharging it a few times I doubt it's ever going to get to y'all's 1-2 day battery lifes.

I've already gotten an RMA number from TigerDirect (where I ordered it). Praying that the next phone will be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol