What Would You Have Liked To See On The Droid 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like most of what we have on the Droid 2. I think probably one thing that I wish the phone had that it doesn't have is an AMOLED screen similar to what is on the Droid Incredible.

What things do you wish the phone had put on it that it doesn't have?

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I would have liked HD video, and possibly a better camera. That's probably my biggest gripe. To me, it seems to be somewhat out of place. With other comparable phones having HD video, it just seems like the D2 skimped in this area for some reason and it's a glaring difference.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I wish it could sync with Outlook calendar, notes, and tasks (not exchange, outlook).

I wish the default email app could create new folders and delete emails from the server.

I wish the camera and reception was better.

I wish the voice command app would read my text messages thru my BT headset.

I wish the home screen would turn to landscape with the keyboard in.

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I would have liked HD video, and possibly a better camera. That's probably my biggest gripe. To me, it seems to be somewhat out of place. With other comparable phones having HD video, it just seems like the D2 skimped in this area for some reason and it's a glaring difference.
I get the feeling they didn't go with the HD, or the 8 mega pixel camera because they wanted the phone to be very distinguishable from the X. They didn't want the phone to be somewhat of the same thing as the X, with just a smaller screen.

When I picked the phone over the X, it was for a couple of different reasons. The first primarily being that the phone came with Android 2.2 already installed. I wasn't going to have to wait anymore for the latest operating system build. The second being it doesn't have the physical buttons on the front. I didn't want the physical buttons on the front that the X has.

Regarding the HD capability that is one of those things I'd probably never use. I'm not that interested in watching movies and such on my phone. I'll do that on the computer or tv. LOL

But, I do see your point. Ultimately the d2 is the same thing as the d1 only with a faster processor and some astetic changes.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I get the feeling they didn't go with the HD, or the 8 mega pixel camera because they wanted the phone to be very distinguishable from the X. They didn't want the phone to be somewhat of the same thing as the X, with just a smaller screen.

When I picked the phone over the X, it was for a couple of different reasons. The first primarily being that the phone came with Android 2.2 already installed. I wasn't going to have to wait anymore for the latest operating system build. The second being it doesn't have the physical buttons on the front. I didn't want the physical buttons on the front that the X has.

Regarding the HD capability that is one of those things I'd probably never use. I'm not that interested in watching movies and such on my phone. I'll do that on the computer or tv. LOL

But, I do see your point. Ultimately the d2 is the same thing as the d1 only with a faster processor and some astetic changes.

I think that's probably why they did it as well. But, it seems to stick out like a sore thumb as a glaring difference between it and other phones. Maybe we're getting to the "saturation point" in that there are going to be so many different phones available that there will have to be slight feature differences such as this to distinguish them.

I must say that I rarely use my camera on my phone (BB Tour), and I never use the video camera. The camera's not bad, I just don't use it that much as there are better alternatives. I don't ever use the video camera mainly because it sucks and it's really not even worth it. And the screen size on my Tour is not something you want to use for anything like picture or video viewing.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think that's probably why they did it as well. But, it seems to stick out like a sore thumb as a glaring difference between it and other phones. Maybe we're getting to the "saturation point" in that there are going to be so many different phones available that there will have to be slight feature differences such as this to distinguish them.

I must say that I rarely use my camera on my phone (BB Tour), and I never use the video camera. The camera's not bad, I just don't use it that much as there are better alternatives. I don't ever use the video camera mainly because it sucks and it's really not even worth it. And the screen size on my Tour is not something you want to use for anything like picture or video viewing.
I use my camera, but that is mostly for work. I take pictures of damaged goods on loads that I deliver to customers.

Personally I think they could have done the 8 mega pixel camera and hd and still had the phone distinguished from the X simply because of the size of the screen.

That was the other reason I didn't care for the X. To me it is too big. I don't want a phone that big.

On the flip side, isn't nice to be able to have these types of choices? With Apple and the iPhone, that is all you have. You can't choose different service providers, different types of screens, or etc.

With Android we don't have to limit ourselves to a single provider, or even a single phone. If your preference is a large screen you have the choice of an X, or an EVO. You have phones that 1 gig processors in them and others with slower processors. We have the luxury of choice which is great.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site

Pretty certain that was the reason as well. HD video on the X really isn't that impressive anyway. 720p does look might nice on a spec sheet though. and I still have yet to see any visual evidence that the 5mp cam on the D2 is inferior to the X, I've just been taking peoples theoretical words for it, but I digress...

I don't see why Moto 86'd the FM radio. The screen size, HDMI out, and video recording ability was more than enough to make the X distinguishable. They didn't have to "X" out the radio.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I would have preferred that it came with vanilla Froyo. That would have made it a desirable device. Seems like there won't be anymore vanilla builds of the OS until Gingerbread.

Axlfro

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
When sending MMS or uploading a picture taken by the camera to facebook, I wish it would not automatically change the orientation to landscape! SO annyoing.

G

GenericMessage

Should've been:

*stock 2.2
*HD camera
*Front facing camera

Three reasons I did NOT buy the Droid 2