default APKs?

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,
I am new to the androidcentral community but was curious if someone could help me. I rooted my droid 2 a few weeks ago and deleted a bunch of the apps. Now I am realizing I should have simply froze them or at the least backed them up so if an update comes out, I stand a chance of defrosting them to get the update (similar to what people are doing on the droid x). Does anyone have the cityid, cardock,mediashare, motorolla news (and widget) apks they could send me? Thanks!

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'll start uploading them to megaupload or something. And get back to you when they are all up. If i forget to come back to the forum and give you the link just PM me.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
so i have been pretty busy lately. so i havent done anything yet. give me a list of the .apk you need and i will load them up. i'm just going to rip them using titanium backup or astro. but you will need to do the process if installing them in the system folder yourself.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That is completely fine and very much appreciated. Through much research, I think the only apk's that I am missing are the following:

CarDock.apk
CityID.apk
NewsWidget.apk
NewsWidget.odex
HomeSyncWizard.apk
HomeSyncWizard.odex

The rest I have found scattered accross google and have managed to get back on my phone with the proper permissions.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Could you re-invite me? I didnt have a drop box account when I first opened the link and now everytime I go to open the file, it says "This invite has already been accepted by another account (e****al@gmail.com)." Thanks

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting these. I was able to get cityid back on but the others refuse to install. Cardock and homesync wizard say there was a problem parsing the package and the newswidget just tells me it cant be installed. Im not sure what to do. I tried using adb to install as well (thinking maybe it would yield better results) but it gave me the same results... I have not had any problems with the other apps I installed. Its so bizzarre.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
did you mount as r/w and not as r/o? if you use root explorer you can easily remount as r/w and back to r/o. plus after you copy the .apks, you can change the permissions. then just reboot your phone, you don't have to install them the reboot will take care of that for you. Make sure that you're putting all of these in the system/app/ folder.

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I put all of the files in the system/app folder and then changed the permissions appropriately. I tried rebooting this morning (I was not aware rebooting the phone would take care of it so thank you for that tip). After reboot, the newswidget apk and odex were succesfully installed but the car dock and homesyncwidget were not. I believe the reason the car dock and homesyncwidget are not installing is because there doesnt appear to be anything in them. When I download the file you posted and unzip it, those two files are 0kb. The cityid and newswidgets were a few hundred kb each. Could it be something is wrong with those apks you posted?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
i'll check them out. if there is an error i'll repost them.
Update: I'm going to post up my entire system/app folder so if anyone ever needs to rip something from it they can. It will include the vanilla carhome.apk and vanilla clock.apk though. so its not exactly stock.

one question before i do this, my password and personal information aren't kept in these files are they? i'm not sure where those files are located and i remember jerry and cory found that glitch in the android code. so if either of you are reading this please drop a comment.

Last edited:

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I honestly have no idea. I'm rather new to the droid world. Ill look around on other forums and see if any one else knows if vital info is saved in the app folder. I'm inclined to say nothing is vital in it though but that's just a hunch

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
All you have to do is copy the public link and shoot that to him shouldn't need dropbox installed to download it
edit just send the application folder and you shouldn't have anything saved to that the whole system is overkill

mixgenio

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Everything is now back on my phone and appropriately frozen as opposed to simply deleted. Its great that you posted the whole system/app folder available online. I am sure many others will benefit from this as well. Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn