Has Anyone downloaded 2.3.20?

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
been trying to download this all day on my phone, my phone is rooted, anyways when connected by wifi, the red circle keeps spinning, when on 3G it was saying no updates are available. just now for the first time it says that my device is up to date.

no i do not use the wifi tether that much but i won't be able to sleep at night if i know that feature is gone in case my roomies forget to pay the cable bill and i need internet access! with this update, do i have to re root the phone?

what im getting at is, wifi tether trumps these little piddly updates and i'd rather not go on with it unless i can root the phone again. someone mentioned it bricked theirs and i dont want to do that...

anyways can i just say how frustrated I am getting with applications force closing all of the time....

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
from droid life:
Updated Your DROID 2? DO NOT USE THE CURRENT SBF! (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

if this needs to be deleted then sorry but figured it might be important..

Again, if you updated your Droid 2 to build 2.3.20, DO NOT USE THE CURRENT SBF FILE that’s available. It will essentially “brick” your phone.

Update: Sorry if I wasn’t specific enough at first, was trying to just get this out to the masses as the update is becoming more and more available. An SBF file is basically the file used by VZW techs to wipe your phone completely and reinstall a clean OS. There is a Droid 2 2.2 SBF floating around in the wild right now, but if you update your phone with the new update, this SBF will not work and if you try to use it, could end up with a bricked phone. This only affects ROOTED USERS as they are the ones tinkering with their phones. For the average user, ignore this post.

anon(58977)

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I pulled the update down last night.
Had to SBF back to factory, and then still didn't get the prompt. Found some other threads where people posted the update and I manually applied it.

I can say the phone does feel more fluid now, and battery life is great! I've had already two 10-15 minute phone calls, pulled down data, had a live wallpaper running, skype running, wifi enabled, etc, and I'm only down to 80%....thats from unplugging it around 6am this morning!

I can't wait to see how an extended battery will fare, but whatever Moto/verizon did...KUDOS on an excellent release!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I downloaded it last night loaded it in the morning. I'm going to Have to run this for a few days to report on battery life. my phone was good for about 3 hours this am then I let my son play a game for 30 mins looked at my phone and it was down to 30% have to keep an eye out but that app has never drained my battery like that

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I loaded the same one as you pre rooted in still have root and overclock no theme because I wiped my system
edit
my bad you were talking to someone else

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No its cool, I was talking to anyone who bothered flashing. I have the file, I just haven't had the patience to sit and flash it, because I know I'm gonna want to immediately start hacking the file the framework to retain the look of my phone I worked so hard to get. My current theme is the combination of like 4 put together.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
The only thing I really see different is wifi handoff everthing else is meh
edit
battery life really took a hit in an hour and a half with my phone idling my battery went from 70% to 30% that's just crazy ill give it another day but battery life isn't the strong suit of this phone

Last edited:

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
so as a rooted user what am i supposed to be doing here? cant find a consistent answer anywhere... if i take this update can i root the phone on 2.3 yet?

Shooperman

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Has this update crashed anyone else's battery manager? I can open the manager, but when I go to usage statistics, it get a force close (processes com.android.settings) every time.

Anyone else?