Droid 2 or Droid 2 Global

ZombieHack

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Droid 2 Or Droid 2 Global?

Not sure what to get, any input?

I'm planning on putting a case on it anyway so the color doesn't matter.
I'm not planning on traveling the world with it (though the option to run it on AT&T or T-Mobile would be nice)
I'm not using exchange for email.

Basically the major question is, is the 200 MHz the global version has and the (possibility that eventually the firmware will be hacked to allow the) ability to run on AT&T/T-Mobile worth giving up the buy one Droid 2 and get one free (as my Dad on my family plan wants one too)?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
For the 200mhz alone heck no it's not worth it. However, it's totally worth it if you travel a lot and need a world phone. I travel a lot and didn't even realise the D2 wasn't a world phone till afterward. I just figured pretty much every phone out there was a world phone today but I was quite wrong.

I would like the Global but if Best Buy doesn't get it in within the next week (30 day trial period almost running out) I'm just keeping my D2.

Rev.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The guy at Best Buy told me that I had 14 days to return my phone. You should double check with them.
To answer the OP's question, the slightly faster processor wouldn't be enough for me. Especially now that there are reports of poorer battery end than the other Droid 2.

FORDOC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Depending on your needs...

The D2G's big sell is the world bands. If one does not travel, unnecessary.

A bump in processor speed is not worth the extra money. I do believe that it is the same processor just over-clocked.

D2G if you are a traveler. D2 if you reside in the USA.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Totally worth it. The keyboard is in fact improved over droid 2. Go to a store and have them pull their launch kit out. It will contain one dummy and one live phone. If you own droid 2, you will feel the difference. As far as speed, he did not insert the battery. However I notice my wifes d2 seems a bit laggy compared to my dx. Im going to get the d2g. Hopefully it will be as or more snappy as my x.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Totally worth it. The keyboard is in fact improved over droid 2. Go to a store and have them pull their launch kit out. It will contain one dummy and one live phone. If you own droid 2, you will feel the difference. As far as speed, he did not insert the battery. However I notice my wifes d2 seems a bit laggy compared to my dx. Im going to get the d2g. Hopefully it will be as or more snappy as my x.

where are you getting the Global? I haven't seen it in any store. I have only seen it on the Verizon website.

icu

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that it's an online-exclusive so none should be in stores.

I have a question - am I just missing it or is there absolutely no reviews of this phone? I haven't seen written or video reviews or benchmarks. Are people ignoring it because it's so similar to the D2?

There are some pretty important changes that I would love to get some info on. "Improved Keyboard" ok so they made the buttons bumpy - I'd really like to know just how much this improves things and the 1.2 GHz processor - can a nerd get a benchmark? I apologize if I'm just not searching well. Also there's the camera bulge - improved camera or just more room for new radio?

I kind of signed-off on the D2s due to what was said to be a horrible keyboard - if it is usable now and if this thing is a performer it's quite tempting.

Reactions: dwaynewilliams#WN

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I kind of signed-off on the D2s due to what was said to be a horrible keyboard - if it is usable now and if this thing is a performer it's quite tempting.

I have the D2 and have absolutely no problems with the keyboard, don't know what the big complaint is. I type on it fast and cleanly. It took a little getting used to coming from an iPhone 3G but once I got used to it I find it works great.

Rev.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I ordered my D2G last Friday around 4:30 and got it on Monday (paid fro the AM NBD) great phone like it a lot, keyboard is a bit nicer as well.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
It's my understanding that it's an online-exclusive so none should be in stores.

I have a question - am I just missing it or is there absolutely no reviews of this phone? I haven't seen written or video reviews or benchmarks. Are people ignoring it because it's so similar to the D2?

There are some pretty important changes that I would love to get some info on. "Improved Keyboard" ok so they made the buttons bumpy - I'd really like to know just how much this improves things and the 1.2 GHz processor - can a nerd get a benchmark? I apologize if I'm just not searching well. Also there's the camera bulge - improved camera or just more room for new radio?

Well that explains it. I wonder why it's an online exclusive? Doesn't make any difference to me now, but I would have liked to see it in the stores.

ZombieHack

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their great responses! I am intrigued by the new keyboard on the D2G, but I haven't really had an issue with the old one when I tried it in the store. My main concern is that it is an update to hardware that might be unsupported in the future (because there are so many D2s and not as many D2Gs) this is sort of backed up by the fact that there isn't a review for the Global posted on my favorite Android website, the central one in the universe! Is this a genuine concern, or are my fears unfounded?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their great responses! I am intrigued by the new keyboard on the D2G, but I haven't really had an issue with the old one when I tried it in the store. My main concern is that it is an update to hardware that might be unsupported in the future (because there are so many D2s and not as many D2Gs) this is sort of backed up by the fact that there isn't a review for the Global posted on my favorite Android website, the central one in the universe! Is this a genuine concern, or are my fears unfounded?

There aren't any reviews because it is basically the same phone as the Droid 2. I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Enjoy your Droid 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781