Droid 2 Global in Stores...

kom22

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

I'm looking into getting my first smartphone. Leaning towards the D2G, but will not buy it without playing with it. I called the local Verizon store, and the sales girl seemed pretty clueless about when they'd have them in. She tried telling me I could try the D2 and see if I liked it, which I guess is an okay answer, but doesn't let me try the phone I want to buy.

I guess my question is, does anyone know when the stores will actually have them in stock? I've heard tomorrow, the 23rd, and the 29th.

Thanks.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
What part do you want to "play with"?

It's physically identical to the Droid 2, which is certainly in the store.

You won't be able to test the global/GSM radio. Other than that the CPU runs a little faster by default, so if you feel like the D2's snappy, you can safely assume the D2G will be as good or better when you get it.

kom22

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how other stores are, but the D2 my store has on display is beat to a pulp. I'm not sure if they have a policy of replacing demo models, but at least at the store by me, the one on display is not a great representation of the phone (I hope).

Also, I'd like to see the updated keyboard on the D2G vs D2. I've read in a number of places that the keyboard was changed from the D2 to the D2G. And I'd like to play with the speed.

I guess she was trying to be helpful, but I asked about the D2G and she said I could come in and try the D2, which doesn't really meet my request.

But back on topic, does anyone have any confirmation of when the D2G will be on display in stores. It's odd, the Pro was already on display, and I believe both phones were announced on the same day.

Thanks.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've read and all the images I've seen seem to indicate the keyboards on the D2 and D2G are exactly the same.

Rev.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've read and all the images I've seen seem to indicate the keyboards on the D2 and D2G are exactly the same.
Rev.

I never owned a D2, but from what I could tell by "playing with" a D2 in the store and then ordering and receiving my D2G, the kbd seems exactly the same. No better, no worse.

danpeake

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Droid 2 Global over the phone, they said it would be in stores on the 29th.

But the phone is the same as the regular Droid 2 except it has a faster processor. 1.2GHz vs. 1. So, just play with that one and see if you like it.

kom22

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Droid 2 Global over the phone, they said it would be in stores on the 29th.

But the phone is the same as the regular Droid 2 except it has a faster processor. 1.2GHz vs. 1. So, just play with that one and see if you like it.

Thank you.

I read in this thread from a number of users that the keyboard on the D2G was different from the D2...

DROID 2 Global and Pro Users, Thoughts on Your New Device? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Thanks for the confirmation though. I guess I'll just wait it out and who knows, in two weeks, at the rate these phones are coming, the 4Gs may be out...:p

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I know what you mean about needing to try the phone out before you buy it. Even if the phones were almost identical, I would still like to handle it first.

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't post false info. YES, droid 2 global does in fact have an improved keyboard over d2 and yes it makes a huge difference. In fact reps in the stores are saying the same and I told them to go get their launch kit and showed them the difference. At a glance, you wont notice it until you actually type on it and pay closer attention to it. I was going to go with a pro until I held a d2g in my hand and felt the kb. Don't mean to be a$ %&*, but the original poster needs to know the facts and not base his her decision on playing with a d2.

Reactions: kom22

leathernuts#WP

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Also other cosmetic difference is around the camera lens and its slightly raised as well. Not as much though as it appears on motos web site. Maybe because of the sim card?