Driod2 Global and 3G Mobile Hotspot

steven93921

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I just moved from a BB Storm2 to the Droid2 Global. One of the three most important features I need in my smartphone is tethering. From what little I had read about the Moto Droids, using them as a 3g mobile hotspot required either rooting the phone or paying extra to Verizon but it seems that the Droid2 Global has it out of the box. Has anyone else have more history/detail on this?

Thanks!

-steven ???

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
if you use the native tethering app verizon will make you sign up for the monthly charge, but if you root your D2G then you can tether for free using the wireless tether for root users app in the market

entourage133

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
3G Mobile Hotspot question

I have the droid 2 on verizon and iv noticed the 3g mobile hotspot app on the phone from day 1. Today was the first time that I actually tried to use it and it appears that verizon wants more money per month in order to use it. Is there any way around this? If I root the phone will it be free? I would really like it to work like tether on my BB. Is there an app that is similar to 3g mobile hot spot that is free?

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
xda hotspot patch

If you go to xda-developers.com in the d2 forums they have a patch that you can download and flash to use the 3g hotspot app for free. It did it it works. Yes you have to be rooted.

Reactions: entourage133

mcook1670

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
In the xda d2 forums they have a patch that you can download and flash to use the mobile 3g hotspot app for free. It works great. You do have to be rooted as always to get the good stuff

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how this works -- or rather how it "looks" to the VZ folks? I assume it would be trivial to detect whether an account was using the 3G for something other than the on-phone apps.

(I can think that a terribly-easy way would be to monitor the user-agent headers in HTTP traffic.)

Curious what the relative risk is.

maxiang

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how this works -- or rather how it "looks" to the VZ folks? I assume it would be trivial to detect whether an account was using the 3G for something other than the on-phone apps.

(I can think that a terribly-easy way would be to monitor the user-agent headers in HTTP traffic.)

Curious what the relative risk is.
I'm kinda curious about the details as well. I don't think it would be the user agent as dolphin can pretend it's user agent is Mozilla...something, something.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty trivial for Verizon to detect that you're tethering traffic. Between the user agent on your PC's browser, the TCP settings your OS uses, the content you download, the websites you visit and a host of other things Verizon can easily flag you as using tethering. So far they've looked the other way, but there's no guarantee they will continue which is why I spring for the $20/month. Some examples:

User agent:
Many Android browsers can spoof a desktop user agent, so this is not deterministic but it's easy to use it to flag your account for further review. Plus the list of user agents browsers typically use is fairly small, SkyFire in Desktop mode claims to be "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17" but most people would probably have updated to at least 10.6 and many would be using Firefox. Now you can always copy and paste the string and spoof your desktop browser to look like a mobile browser, but that can get annoying and produce interesting results.

In addition to the browser, I'm pretty sure Flash has its own user agent that is much harder to spoof.

TCP settings:
Each OS has its own set of default parameters and window scaling algorithms. PCs are designed to work on fast broadband connections, phones on unreliable wireless connections. Based on the TCP parameters your computer advertises this could be a surefire way of knowing that you're not originating traffic from your phone.

Content:
Want to watch a NetFlix movie? Hulu content? Listen to Blip.fm? You can't do a lot of things from the phone that you wouldn't think twice about on a PC.

Sites:
How often does your computer poll updates.microsoft.com? us.archive.ubuntu.com? Whatever the Mac equivalent is? Do you use an OS-specific time server? Again, all pretty decent alerts that you've got something behind your phone.

Reactions: B-model#CB

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I tend to agree with "jd". While I love hacking and "getting my money's worth", I see this as an easy one for VZW to pick-off if they start getting bandwidth constrained.

Being "blacklisted" by my favorite carrier, or charged with "theft of services" is not in my 2011 New Year's Resolution.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
the only thing I tether to is my android tablet.
Theyd had a hard case telling me I was tethering if both things run the same exact OS lol

Unless, of course, they can tell the TTL has changed. Or your "phone" makes two connections to something the software says there should only be one connection to. Or one device gets and update and the other doesn't. Or (most easily) one reports Droid2 in the agent ID and the other Samsung Tab.

There are an infinite number of ways to get caught, most of them disturbingly simple with only a modicum of network monitoring experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol