So even though I have auto-rotation set for my D2G it doesn't seem to work for the home screens. If I turn the screen apps like the calendar, messaging, etc switch fine but when I am on a home screen the only way to get that screen to switch to landscape is for me to open the keyboard. Similarly when I close the keyboard it switches back to portrait. I know that this CAN work on the home screens without the keyboard b/c when I put this in the Droid dock the home screen switches to landscape.

Is there a setting that I am missing somewhere or am I just nuts? Does everyone know that I am talking about. If there is no native switch is there an app or hack that changes/fixes this?
    12-02-2010 01:47 AM
    I have the exact same issues. I have looked and looked and found nothing telling me how.
    12-02-2010 03:56 AM
    If Im correct in this , some of the phones allow rotation(landscape mode) for certain apps (mine is the same) I installed launcher pro to my phone and now I have comeplete rotaion for all apps and home screens...If you decide to apply a theme to ur phone it too will allow for home screen rotations
    12-02-2010 08:40 AM
    stock Motorola Droid 2/X/Pro will not allow landscape homescreens unless in a dock or qwerty keyboard. There is no setting to fix this. The only solution is to root/custom rom or use a third party launcher that includes the functionality like launcher pro that vel7wil mentioned before.
    12-02-2010 12:22 PM
    Does anyone know why this worked for like 2 days then just stops? It's quite annoying. Any chance 2.3 may fix this?

Kom22
    12-05-2010 12:33 AM
    Unless you had a third party theme or had the keyboard open, I don't see how you were able to have the home screen rotate.
    12-06-2010 03:56 AM
    It's been documented at a number of places that for the first 2-3 days, the droid/droid 2 can rotate the home page without the keyboard open. But after that window passes, it stops. Sort of weird, and I've gotten used to it. Just seems odd.

Kom22
    12-06-2010 01:56 PM
    I'm on my third replacement D2G.

My first two auto-rotated whenever the phone was turned to landscape. The second one I had for 2 months and it always rotated.

This one only goes landscape when the keyboard is out. Yes, auto-rotate is enabled. And I shouldn't have to get an app to do something that should be normal behavior for the phone. And WAS normal behavior for the first two I had.

Any ideas?
    05-01-2011 04:46 PM
    Did a battery pull. Nothing.

Just got off the phone with Motorola. This phone is SUPPOSED to auto-rotate whenever it's turned to landscape, whether or not the keyboard is out. As others have noted, it did for the first 2 days then suddenly today it stopped. My other two did the whole time I had them. (But were defective in other serious ways, hence the exchanges.)

Did a factory data reset. Still doesn't auto rotate when on the home screen. It does rotate when in Settings menu and when in the Browser and Market. I suppose I can (have to) live with it this way, but knowing that it should auto-rotate on the home screen is frustrating. And I'll count myself lucky if this is the ONLY issue this thing has... but given I'm 2 days in with this one and it's already starting with issues...

And I will NOT get an app to do something the phone is supposed to do naturally.

Motorola CS: 800-331-6456

Good luck everyone!
    05-01-2011 05:35 PM
    Neither my X nor my D2G has ever rotated the home screen unless the keyboard was out or the magnet dock-sensor was tripped. In fact, pre-Froyo app rotation on the X was limited at best as well. My guess is that some pre-release D2 software had this feature but the current version of Froyo removed the feature. I'm now running Liberty Gingerbread on the X which does rotate the home screen, my guess is that the anticipated OTA Gingerbread release will do so also (and the leak that's floating around is *NOT* OTA unless you get it pushed from Verizon, for most it's a manually installed leak).

Never place too much stock on what a single tech support call says to any company, remember they're generally minimum wage workers and often not even Motorola employees. If you call again I wouldn't be surprised if you got a completely different answer.
    05-01-2011 06:01 PM
    JD thanks, and yes, I agree about the tech support.

However, both my other D2Gs auto-rotated even when the keyboard was closed. And this one did at first, but then stopped this morning. Same version of Froyo.
    05-01-2011 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD