...i'm new to android after spending 2+ years with Blackberry and have a quick question about rooting my Droid 2...i downloaded and it said i was successful with rooting my D2 with the Z4 root but how do i know for sure that my phone is rooted and please be gentle cause like i stated earlier i'm new to the whole android OS. thanks in advance.
    12-22-2010 12:15 PM
    Get the application terminal emulator from the market, open it and type su. If you see it repeat it you have root and you get a # for the next promo you have root. You may want to try and download the superuser application and binary from the market
    enzie5454 and Kimo91 like this.
    12-22-2010 01:49 PM
    ^^^ That seems A LOT more complicated to someone new to Android then downloading a 'root only' app and just seeing if it works. I know it would have overwhelmed me when I first rooted. Plus, I don't think you have to download the superuser app, at least I didn't after rooting with z4root.

Try downloading an app like 'CacheCleaner Legacy', or any other app that needs root. Open the app. Allow it superuser access. Run the app. If it worked, you are rooted. If it didn't, you aren't.
    Kimo91 likes this.
    12-22-2010 11:32 PM
    Easy test, open your app drawer. If there is an icon for "Superuser" your good.
    Kimo91 likes this.
    12-22-2010 11:35 PM
    If searching for terminal emulator and typing su is very hard I'm sorry but when I started doing such task as using command prompt was needed. But if it makes it easier yes a root only app should work. And you can also have root access but of you haven't installed superuser API or binary its useless
    12-23-2010 12:11 AM
    Dan I forgot to respond to this thread, yes my phone is now rooted and that z4 root was way too easy so I assumed it took more than clicking the 'permanent root' option when I first opened the file...coming from blackberry when I would load a leaked OS to my Bold it was basically jumping through hoops (download the file, run file, delete vendor ID, then open run loader and blam 45 min later I had a new OS on my BB). Thanks to everyone that posted I do appreciate it. Oh are there any good root only apps that are good to use for a first timer android user such as I?
    12-24-2010 07:18 AM
    Titanium Backup Pro because it allows you to "freeze" the bloatware included on your phone without uninstalling it so you can put it back later for updates.

Root Explorer (also shareware) because it allows you to delete those godawful camera shutter sounds.
    Kimo91 likes this.
    12-24-2010 09:10 AM
    how long did it take to root with z4
    12-25-2010 01:33 AM
    About 30 sec to a minute, super easy.
    12-25-2010 01:43 AM
    Lol yeah only about a minute at the most...then do a battery pull for another minute and viola droid 2 is rooted
    12-25-2010 09:43 AM
    Z4root didn't seem to work for me. Not sure why. I tried the temp option and permanent one as well. Just didn't seem to work and root only apps weren't allowed to run. I just went on xda and found some really simple command line instructions and now I'm golden. Fission ROM is running on both my D2 and my gf's as well.
    I'd suggest buying dx/d2 overclock for $0.99 in the market. The 1GHz low voltage option has drastically improved my battery life while maintaing stock speed (which is plenty fast for me).

Droid2 with Fission
    12-26-2010 03:20 AM
    Glad to hear you got it working and are romed up just know if you didn't make a backup of your phone right after you rooter forget about the stock updates. As it may fail if you dont get rid of all the root stuff or you don't have all the stock apps
    12-26-2010 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD