Droid 2 keyboard and FireKeys Unlimited

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
One of the things I really missed from BlackBerry was the autotext feature. I installed FireKeys Unlimited to bring back some semblance of that convenience. It works well for the most part, replacing couldnt with couldn't, etc.

The problem I have is that when I use the hardware keyboard and try to use the ALT lock so I can type in numbers and symbols, it sometimes won't lock it the first time I press it and I end up with the letter keys instead of the numbers/symbols.

This seems to happen randomly in different fields and it's never the same thing twice. I have learned generally that if I press one of the arrow keys and go back a few spaces, I can then use the ALT lock normally. But this is a headache.

Does anyone else who uses this app with their Droid 2 keyboard run into this?

I have unisntalled/reinstalled. I really like that app and want to continue using it.

Thanks.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Never used Firekeys but I'll say I use UltraKeyboard and the Alt-Lock doesn't work at all. Don't know why or if there's something I'm missing as I haven't bothered to look it up yet. Gotta get looking into that actually.

Rev.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
One of the things I really missed from BlackBerry was the autotext feature. I installed FireKeys Unlimited to bring back some semblance of that convenience. It works well for the most part, replacing couldnt with couldn't, etc.

The problem I have is that when I use the hardware keyboard and try to use the ALT lock so I can type in numbers and symbols, it sometimes won't lock it the first time I press it and I end up with the letter keys instead of the numbers/symbols.

This seems to happen randomly in different fields and it's never the same thing twice. I have learned generally that if I press one of the arrow keys and go back a few spaces, I can then use the ALT lock normally. But this is a headache.

Does anyone else who uses this app with their Droid 2 keyboard run into this?

I have unisntalled/reinstalled. I really like that app and want to continue using it.

Thanks.

i dont have a D2 or this app... but you can always write to the developer and ask him if there is something he can do to fix it.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I did and they released a new version, but the problem persists. I just wonder if it's something unique to my Droid, since I can't find any other mentions of it online.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I just learned you can double press the regular Alt key and it will turn on alt lock. Simply press it once again to turn it off. I can live with that fine.

Rev.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I discovered that too, but the problem is, it doesn't always work. It seems to depend what app I'm using and what type of field I'm typing in.

BenSWoodruff

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Keyboards never work 100% of the time the way we want them to. I think it's just something to get used to with Android and iOS as well. I think it depends on the app and web site developers, because some apps' email input boxes don't register the proper software keyboard when typing in them.
Even forgetting that I have to add punctuation and spell correctly, I don't think I'd ever use this app that changes the behavior of my hardware keyboard. I'm lucky though because this is the first device with a keyboard that I've ever used lol. I feel bad for you ex BB users :-/

Droid2 with Fission

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why the software keyboards control the hardware keyboard. Aren't they separate?

Not really, the hardware keyboard still has to communicate with the software, otherwise you wouldn't get the enhanced spelling and punctuation correction of the 3rd party softwares. I think the problem is that the developers mainly concentrate on the touchscreen aspect being most other phones are only touchscreen. Could be why issues like that often exist. But, I'm not a developer so I may be completely wrong here :)

Rev.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12