I have a D2 and my girlfriend has a BB Bold well she is looking gettting the ally off of her sister and keeping her Bold. If she doesn't like the ally I was gonna give it to my son. I was wondering if there was some type of tracking or spy program that I can get and put on it to keep tabs on him.
    01-02-2011 05:43 PM
    I have a D2 and my girlfriend has a BB Bold well she is looking gettting the ally off of her sister and keeping her Bold. If she doesn't like the ally I was gonna give it to my son. I was wondering if there was some type of tracking or spy program that I can get and put on it to keep tabs on him.
    Not that i know of , but you can restrict his access to things like the market and or settings...etc
    Lock - Android app on AppBrain
    01-02-2011 05:55 PM
    It depends on what you're looking to do. Latitude (part of Google Maps) does a pretty good job by itself. There are countless "send your phone a text message and get its location" apps, but I don't know if the text message alerts. I'm experimenting with setting up an SSH tunnel with reverse port forwarding from my own phone to my server so I can log in remotely - but that needs to be manually started at this point.

Obviously consider the ethics of what you're trying to do as well, tracking a 12 year old and letting him know it's so mommy and daddy don't lose him is very different from planting a spy app on your 18 year old's phone without his knowledge
    01-02-2011 06:16 PM
    It depends on what you're looking to do. Latitude (part of Google Maps) does a pretty good job by itself. There are countless "send your phone a text message and get its location" apps, but I don't know if the text message alerts. I'm experimenting with setting up an SSH tunnel with reverse port forwarding from my own phone to my server so I can log in remotely - but that needs to be manually started at this point.

Obviously consider the ethics of what you're trying to do as well, tracking a 12 year old and letting him know it's so mommy and daddy don't lose him is very different from planting a spy app on your 18 year old's phone without his knowledge

My son is 13 and I'm wanting to be able to keep tabs on him where he is at and what is going on with him. I have a spy program on the computer so I can keep tabs on him and who he is talking too and what they are talking about and that is kinda what I'm wanting to do with the allly if it is possible
    01-02-2011 06:26 PM
    Jst worth mentioning. All he has to do is turn the phone off and say the battery died, to defeat GPS tracking. Or he could put it in airline mode.

As far as software control, he will find a way around almost anything you put on a phone, especially an android phone. I can think of 9 different web browsers off hand for android.

My advice, give him the device unlocked. Tell him you will randomly ask for it to do a checkup on it, and do it. By doing this, you will keep him from being able to clear out histories, etc before you look, but also will not cripple his device with filtering software.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    01-02-2011 06:35 PM
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider letting him know what you're doing and why. Otherwise when (not if, but when) he finds out there may be hurt feelings, a sense of violation, and an angry teenager bent on subverting any spyware you install and then getting into as much trouble as possible to prove he can without you knowing about it until it's too late.

From my perspective for my own kids I think finding his location is a useful tool, but once you get into reading messages and virtually looking over his shoulder while browsing the web is a bit too intrusive unless he knows what's going on.

However, you may also want to get him an AppBrain account so you can help him pick out his apps and keep an eye on what he's got installed. Speaking of which, if you go there and enter
    01-02-2011 07:05 PM
    If you haven't already, you may want to consider letting him know what you're doing and why. Otherwise when (not if, but when) he finds out there may be hurt feelings, a sense of violation, and an angry teenager bent on subverting any spyware you install and then getting into as much trouble as possible to prove he can without you knowing about it until it's too late.

From my perspective for my own kids I think finding his location is a useful tool, but once you get into reading messages and virtually looking over his shoulder while browsing the web is a bit too intrusive unless he knows what's going on.

However, you may also want to get him an AppBrain account so you can help him pick out his apps and keep an eye on what he's got installed. Speaking of which, if you go there and enter

Between me and his mother ( which we aren't together ) both of us keeps an eye on his cell phone and I keep an eye on his facebook and myspace accounts...

but what is a "appbrain account"
    01-02-2011 07:14 PM
    I understand you spy on him, my only concern is what happens if he finds out about it on his own vs. you guys being upfront with him.

Appbrain is a way to install apps via a web browser, it also lets you know what apps are installed:
    AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games
    01-02-2011 07:39 PM
    o he knows all this stuff about us looking at his phone and knows about me getting on his facebook and myspace and doesn't say anything.....he doesn't say anything about it.....he knows we do it for his own good
    01-02-2011 07:48 PM
    Verizon has a family locator plan that's worth the extra $10/month...you can not only be able to track your teen anywhere but also set restrictions via gps (for example set a 10 mile radius from your home and if your teen goes past that verizon sends yours and your wife's phone a text message along with your teens location within 6 meters), lock your teens phone to where they can only call verizon numbers (won't let him/her call any other number outside verizon or your friends and familys numbers), and also lock down phone where they can only text till 9pm.

I have these for my 2 teenage kids (son and daughter) and we recently dropped my daughter off of that cause she was honest on where she was and always checks in every hour or so...my son on the other hand has proved wonders cause you don't know how many times did we not only catch him in lies on his exact location but also caught him at underage drinking parties.

If you say its not worth the extra $10/month extra for your peace of mind think about it this way: you're already going to spend $90/month on data plans for your phones, what's another $10? Just my 2 cents of course.
    01-02-2011 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD