Hey Guys I am considering getting a D2G over the DX bc of the physical keyboard. Tell me how do you like this phone?
    01-04-2011 06:30 PM
    I own both an X and a D2G. I don't ever use the physical keyboard and I prefer the X, but I want at least one phone with a GSM radio. The X's form factor and screen size is much better suited to my own tastes but the D2G does the job as my work phone.
    01-04-2011 07:08 PM
    I have the D2 and use the physical keyboard all the time. It takes some breaking in, it's a little stiff at first with the button presses, but after some use really becomes very responsive. My boss has the X and I was set on the X originally till he got his and I got to mess with it. It's a great device but I'm a "phone on my belt" (in a leather holster) kind of guy and the X is huge, would look like a brick on my belt. The size coupled with 2 years of iPhone use that convinced me I wanted a physical keyboard was what made me go with the D2 and I couldn't be happier. I also like the fact the screen resolution is the same so with the smaller size it appears even sharper. One last aspect I have to mention is I really wanted arrow keys, which the iPhone didn't have. Of course, you can still get arrow keys with the Droid X's virtual keyboard by installing a 3rd party keyboard app, but I like the arrow keys on the physical keyboard, very easy to navigate around text and insert, edit, delete text in an email or post response.

It's personal preference really so you need to weight which options are important to you. I for one have no need for 720p video on my phone nor do I need the extra 3 megapixels for the camera.

Rev.
    01-04-2011 07:40 PM
    If you really like the big screen go for the x bit if you want the keyboard d2g some specs may be different but deep down their the same animal
    01-04-2011 10:09 PM
    I really like mine, it's been great. Battery goes away faster than my previous phones, but this is so much more capable and powerful, it's unavoidable. It's nice having the option of a physical keyboard or a touchscreen keyboard depending on my mood or situation.
    01-04-2011 10:21 PM
    Came from a BB Tour to the D2G. I wanted a physical keyboard as well and the screen is pretty responsive. The battery life can be sucked out rather quickly if you arent careful. I will usually use the airplane mode to turn off all the radios and the battery will remain at the same amount from the time I turned off the radios. Even after 3-4 hours. I was looking at the Fascinate at first but decided on the D2G because its already updated and still liking the keyboard.
    01-04-2011 11:18 PM
    It takes some breaking in, it's a little stiff at first with the button presses, but after some use really becomes very responsive. Rev.
    I rarely use the keyboard but love the virtual keyboard because of it's stiffness. Thank you for your info and I am going to give it a try.
    01-05-2011 05:56 AM
    Was hoping for a dual core right around now, but i dont think i can hold off till Q2 for the Bionic...plus the sale makes this bad boy VERY attractive. any recomended ROMS or launchers out there? coming from a storm 1 so m pretty anxious to get my Droid on!!
    01-07-2011 01:15 AM
    Personally I'd try out the stock launcher before you go around playing with it. Figure out what you do and don't like and then you'll be in a much better position to decide if another launcher/ROM is right for you.
    01-07-2011 09:11 AM
    Was hoping for a dual core right around now, but i dont think i can hold off till Q2 for the Bionic...plus the sale makes this bad boy VERY attractive. any recomended ROMS or launchers out there?
    I'll probably get challenged on this but honestly, at this stage I really don't see the need for dual core processor phones yet - again *yet*. I owned an iPhone 3G before my D2 and used apps like Google Earth and a slew of others with no processing slow downs or issues of any sort. And same goes for my D2, no slow downs or problems of any kind running any of the apps I have. It's not like we're doing professional workstation tasks on a phone like 3D/CAD graphic rendering, photo/video editing and transcoding, music production, etc. Anyhow, this is again my own personal experience with the apps that are currently out today. Eventually when 1080p video and other high performance requiring tasks come to the phones then yeah it will more likely be needed.

That aside, the most commonly used launcher seems to be LauncherPro. I'm still using the stock launcher, but mainly because at the time I was gonna try LauncherPro I didn't want to take the time to readd all my icons. And besides, I really don't need two more icons in the dock.

Rev.
    el_ote likes this.
    01-07-2011 10:36 AM
    I'm personally curious on how battery life will be with a dual core processor on a phone. It is impressive that we are catching up to the processing power of desktops so quickly though.
    01-07-2011 10:59 AM
    I'm personally curious on how battery life will be with a dual core processor on a phone. It is impressive that we are catching up to the processing power of desktops so quickly though.
    Yeah me too. I was actually going to mention that in my post but forgot. I wonder how much more battery life the early release dual core's will consume. I know people complained that the D2G battery life is even worse than the D2 since they supposedly just overclocked the processor. Of course that's a different scenario entirely from dual core's but just saying jacking up the processing power usually means lower battery life until they've tweaked out the tech in later hardware revisions.

Rev.
    01-07-2011 11:09 AM
    I just got the D2G and I would be completely unable to type anything on the touchscreen keyboard. For whatever reason I have a lot of trouble with it so I am quite happy with the physical keyboard.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    01-07-2011 12:22 PM
    Try zeam launcher before any other ones. It is super fast and lightweight, with a few unique features. I got tired of several aspects of Blur, so a new ROM was in the cards for me. You may want to try it for a while before decided though. If you do try new ROMs, I'd suggest Fission, of course :-) though I'll warn you mine has lost camera and music player functionality since flashing (doesn't bother me because the camera is garbage anyway and my gf uses her phone for Pandora while we drive). Good luck!

Droid2 with Fission
    01-11-2011 06:51 AM
    Yeah me too. I was actually going to mention that in my post but forgot. I wonder how much more battery life the early release dual core's will consume. I know people complained that the D2G battery life is even worse than the D2 since they supposedly just overclocked the processor. Of course that's a different scenario entirely from dual core's but just saying jacking up the processing power usually means lower battery life until they've tweaked out the tech in later hardware revisions.

Rev.
    I got my D2G about a month ago and I say so far to me this is the best android phone out there... it has a good screen and perfect keyboard layout for me being a former BB user. Adding LauncherPro Plus and a extended battery i get plenty or speed and plenty of battery life, even with a 1.2 Ghz processor I get 24 hours + on this thing!!!
    01-25-2011 12:59 PM

Rev.
    It looks like some of the early dual core devices will have bigger batteries. The Atrix and Bionic have 1930 mah battery I think. So the battery life is supposed to be comparable.
    01-27-2011 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD