Well sort of. Seems only recently it's doing this. When I open the browser Google is my default site. I've always had "Enable location" turned off in the Google settings but noticed recently it's still getting my location even with the Google preferences set to not allow location. So I went into the phone's settings and turned off "Enable website location access" or whatever it's actually called.

Now when I hit Google I see the darn GPS logo flash a few seconds and Google lists my location as unavailable, which is good, by why the heck is it still hitting my phone's GPS? The whole point of disabling it is to preserve battery life as much as possible. Any ideas?

Rev.
    01-12-2011 08:02 AM
    Your phone also uses the cell towers to get your location. This may be what is going on.
    01-12-2011 08:45 AM
    Your phone also uses the cell towers to get your location. This may be what is going on.
    Yeah definitely. But I just want Google to stop finding my location, and I have all options for websites using my location turned off and I still see the little satellite icon pop up for a few seconds each time I hit Google. I never used Google's location service, such as the "See places around me". I have other apps for that.

Anyway, I just re-enabled location access just in case I hit a website that's dependent on it. I just wish I could get Google to stop looking up my location since it's my homepage.

Rev.
    01-12-2011 09:25 AM
    If it's any consolation, whether that satellite icon thing is actually sending GPS, wifi, or cell-tower location to Google or not is mostly irrelevant. Google knows your location whenever you hit their site from your IP address, which you can only hide using an anonymous proxy like Orbot (which seems broken on my X under Froyo). Visit a site like this from any browser and you can see how accurate geolocation is from your IP address:
    IP Tracer, IP Tracker, IP Locator and other DNS tools
    01-12-2011 09:40 AM
    Don't worry too much - once you have GPS off you have nothing to worry about. Your location is hidden from others except your carrier. Keep in mind though that for some applications to work properly you need to have your location check. I believe It's mandatory for carriers to have your location at all times.
    01-12-2011 09:49 AM
    Google knows your location whenever you hit their site from your IP address, which you can only hide using an anonymous proxy like Orbot
    Oh I know, I have my own website. I'm not worried about anyone or business knowing my location. I just don't want it to waste battery. It's not a huge deal, I just can't get why it still appears to be attempting to check my location even if I've turned it off in Google's own settings, and also if I turn it off in the browser's settings.

Rev.
    01-12-2011 11:09 AM
    Lookout REV, Skynet always knows where you are
    01-12-2011 03:20 PM
    Lookout REV, Skynet always knows where you are
    LMAO, I figured people might think I'm some kind of "Da gubment's trackin' my wherbouts'!" kinda guy when I posted so I made sure to say, "The whole point of disabling it is to preserve battery life as much as possible" which is true.

Like I said, I turned it back on. I just wish Google.com would stop accessing the location every time I hit the page since I never use location for the search engine. I have apps for looking for things around me

Rev.
    01-12-2011 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD